The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping
ah your so lucky! :smile:

im scared i wont be able to identify what content the scenario's are talking about. for example, involuntary, or voluntary, if there will be any.

i cant even put together sentences right now, because im so stressed, hope you will understand what im talking about :frown:

I know im stressed too, I find that randomly shouting and screaming at things or people helps a bit :wink:
My advice on identifying problem questions is to look at previous questions and there mark schemes, they usually have the same or similar scenario but just change the names of the people involved. Also look for the key points, like if it involves someone shopping then you will most likely need to talk about theft, maybe robbery and burglary. If its a football match and involves injuries you'd talk about offences against the person and the defence of consent.
Just stay calm and make sure you read and understand all questions before choosing the one to do.
Reply 601
Original post by MonsterMorris
You will be fine to miss out self defence A02, it was an essay in Jan 13, consent is one of my favourites but duress and intoxication is far more likely for an essay.

I'm missing out strict liability (essay for Jan 13), self defence A02, invol manslaughter A02 (Again, an essay in Jan 13) and theft A02. I am not sure about Murder A02 yet, may spend 20 minutes on it at some point.

do you think i should leave out mens rea? i just really dont get it, and my teachers havent covered it
Reply 602
Original post by danjones22
I know im stressed too, I find that randomly shouting and screaming at things or people helps a bit :wink:
My advice on identifying problem questions is to look at previous questions and there mark schemes, they usually have the same or similar scenario but just change the names of the people involved. Also look for the key points, like if it involves someone shopping then you will most likely need to talk about theft, maybe robbery and burglary. If its a football match and involves injuries you'd talk about offences against the person and the defence of consent.
Just stay calm and make sure you read and understand all questions before choosing the one to do.

thanks so much:smile:
Original post by hoping
ah your so lucky! :smile:

im scared i wont be able to identify what content the scenario's are talking about. for example, involuntary, or voluntary, if there will be any.

i cant even put together sentences right now, because im so stressed, hope you will understand what im talking about :frown:

You will be fine with that, they usually make it really obvious. Like for example, Mark switched the price labels on some items etc.

As for invol and voluntary manslaughter, that will be obvious as it will say things like 'Mark was suffering from depression' or 'John kept calling Mark a waste of space'. For gross negligence, there is usually always something to do with doctors.

Also, my teacher has told me that since the new chief examiner came in in June 12 it always says 'discuss the liability for *insert offence*' Whereas it used to just say a lot of the time 'discuss the potential liability'
Dream paper:

a) Attempts
b) Invol Manslaughter
c) OAPA/Theft
Reply 605
You will be fine to miss out self defence A02, it was an essay in Jan 13, consent is one of my favourites but duress and intoxication is far more likely for an essay.

I'm missing out strict liability (essay for Jan 13), self defence A02, invol manslaughter A02 (Again, an essay in Jan 13) and theft A02. I am not sure about Murder A02 yet, may spend 20 minutes on it at some point.

I'm hoping and praying for either intoxication, attempts or omissions! Maybe even duress also but I'm less keen on the latter.
Original post by hoping
do you think i should leave out mens rea? i just really dont get it, and my teachers havent covered it

In my opinion, but this is only a prediction, you may not need to learn mens rea. If you can avoid murder coming up in any section, you won't need it.

Your teacher has been so grossly negligent in not teaching you it that I would consider it to be criminal.
Original post by jool
I'm hoping and praying for either intoxication, attempts or omissions! Maybe even duress also but I'm less keen on the latter.

Same for me, all of the above are my favourites for Q1, along with causation and consent. :smile:
Reply 608
You will be fine with that, they usually make it really obvious. Like for example, Mark switched the price labels on some items etc.

As for invol and voluntary manslaughter, that will be obvious as it will say things like 'Mark was suffering from depression' or 'John kept calling Mark a waste of space'. For gross negligence, there is usually always something to do with doctors.

Also, my teacher has told me that since the new chief examiner came in in June 12 it always says 'discuss the liability for *insert offence*' Whereas it used to just say a lot of the time 'discuss the potential liability'

im so delighted to hear that! :smile:
i havent revised gross negligence though, because it involves mens rea :/ and i dont understand it
Reply 609
In my opinion, but this is only a prediction, you may not need to learn mens rea. If you can avoid murder coming up in any section, you won't need it.

Your teacher has been so grossly negligent in not teaching you it that I would consider it to be criminal.

haha lol, that made me laugh, thanks for that :smile:
she has avoided teaching us the involuntary, & voluntary defences too! but ive learnt that of today, well hopefully anyway. :smile:
Reply 610

oh by the way, mens rea or murder wont appear on section c, isnt it?
Reply 611

Quiet down MonsterBateman! I would love for a problem question on involuntary manslaughter, so easy. *drools*
Original post by hoping
im so delighted to hear that! :smile:
i havent revised gross negligence though, because it involves mens rea :/ and i dont understand it

The only mens rea involved in gross negligence is recklessness. There is no foresight of consequences, which is the bit people tend to struggle with.

To be honest, I would try and go through invol manslaughter, I think it is so much easier than voluntary manslaughter because you just go few a few steps for each - unlawful act? dangerous? mens rea for unlawful act? caused the death? Pretty easy really. :smile:
Original post by jool
Quiet down MonsterBateman! I would love for a problem question on involuntary manslaughter, so easy. *drools*

Well done Josh, you know your stuff. :wink: Same, it would be so easy!
Reply 614
am i right in saying that for section A there is always a question on the actus reus and mens rea (causation, omissions, intention, recklessness, strict liability)?
With strict liability being on the Jan 2013 paper, which is classified as the mens rea, is it likely that section A for this exam will be on either causation or omissions as they are classed as actus reus?
Original post by ne12
am i right in saying that for section A there is always a question on the actus reus and mens rea (causation, omissions, intention, recklessness, strict liability)?
With strict liability being on the Jan 2013 paper, which is classified as the mens rea, is it likely that section A for this exam will be on either causation or omissions as they are classed as actus reus?

So far, yes you're right. Similarly, there's always a general defence (duress/ intoxication/ insanity/ automatism), making the first 2 verrry strong possibilities for Q1 since the second 2 are our special studies (hence why a lot of people are revising only those 4 + attempts I think. Since attempts is a very nice question and we're hoping OCR are nice :rolleyes: )
Reply 616
Original post by feelinginfinite
So far, yes you're right. Similarly, there's always a general defence (duress/ intoxication/ insanity/ automatism), making the first 2 verrry strong possibilities for Q1 since the second 2 are our special studies (hence why a lot of people are revising only those 4 + attempts I think. Since attempts is a very nice question and we're hoping OCR are nice :rolleyes: )

Hopefully they will be, considering they will be waving goodbye to January exams and this could be the last type of paper of this form for some years. It is so weird though, many years ago they did six exams in two years (something like that anyway), then two exams, four and now again two. :rolleyes:

I had to retake Sources of Law and every question I predicted came up, I knew they were going to be nice and easy. Mind you, it is much easier to predict that paper. :tongue:
Reply 617
The only mens rea involved in gross negligence is recklessness. There is no foresight of consequences, which is the bit people tend to struggle with.

To be honest, I would try and go through invol manslaughter, I think it is so much easier than voluntary manslaughter because you just go few a few steps for each - unlawful act? dangerous? mens rea for unlawful act? caused the death? Pretty easy really. :smile:

i prefer unlawful manslaughter, but not gross negligence lol :smile:
Original post by hoping
i prefer unlawful manslaughter, but not gross negligence lol :smile:

Well if it comes up in Q2, you have to talk about both. :P
Reply 619
Well if it comes up in Q2, you have to talk about both. :P

oh no! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest