The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
10 mark section at the end. No one question will be ten marks though.

Six markers...
B4: Transpiration rates/Adaptation of leaves:dontknow:

Actually no idea...

Thanks....I amso worried about the 10 marks question now...is it like an essay question?? has there been any examples of it before? is it in the specimen?
Original post by NatashaG
pretty much.. :P

barley seeds sprout turning starch on the seeds into sugar, then you add hops to give flavour, then you mix it with yeast and let them respire to they reproduce and stuff then you seal fermenter and warm it so yeaast can respire anaerobically and produce ethanl and CO2, then you clarify it adding chemicals that settle the yeast....then you pasteurise beer by heating to 70 degrees for 15 secs to kill micro-organisms then you let it cool down, then you just bottle it

Describe the effect light intensity has on rate of photosynthesis?

You can stop if this isn't helping you:colondollar:

The stronger the light intensity the faster the rate of photosynthesis up until a certain point, where CO2 levels and temp will be the limiting factor.

Describe how the transport vessels.in plants help the structure of a plabte
Original post by 123..help me
Thanks....I amso worried about the 10 marks question now...is it like an essay question?? has there been any examples of it before? is it in the specimen?

It's data analysis really... And it's not one question, it's a whole section. It's in the specimen yeah
pretty much.. :P

barley seeds sprout turning starch on the seeds into sugar, then you add hops to give flavour, then you mix it with yeast and let them respire to they reproduce and stuff then you seal fermenter and warm it so yeaast can respire anaerobically and produce ethanl and CO2, then you clarify it adding chemicals that settle the yeast....then you pasteurise beer by heating to 70 degrees for 15 secs to kill micro-organisms then you let it cool down, then you just bottle it

Describe the effect light intensity has on rate of photosynthesis?

Hey...Do you need to to no how diff types of alchol products are made?
Also I wanted to ask you...what is the effect of the prescence/absence of oxygen during fermentation? I was a bit confused about that bit....

I thought that oxygen was present at the start of the fermentation to allow yeast to respire using it and as a result divide and reproduce more yeast and then oxygen is taken away leaving the yeast to react with the glucose to form alcohol nd co2...m i right?
Reply 263
Hey

this is a really good idea!!

i have been reading through the posts and noticed that i need to revise :colondollar:

i will join in on...well ...friday night! .. after my psychology exam :biggrin:

Ryan

The stronger the light intensity the faster the rate of photosynthesis up until a certain point, where CO2 levels and temp will be the limiting factor.

It's data analysis really... And it's not one question, it's a whole section. It's in the specimen yeah

oh..kk so it's just like any other question?? split up as a b c d?
Original post by ryanb97
Hey

this is a really good idea!!

i have been reading through the posts and noticed that i need to revise :colondollar:

i will join in on...well ...friday night! .. after my psychology exam :biggrin:

Ryan

Instead of spamming about English?:mmm: :wink:

:lol:

Yeah, it's a goodway I think
Original post by 123..help me
Hey...Do you need to to no how diff types of alchol products are made?
Also I wanted to ask you...what is the effect of the prescence/absence of oxygen during fermentation? I was a bit confused about that bit....

I thought that oxygen was present at the start of the fermentation to allow yeast to respire using it and as a result divide and reproduce more yeast and then oxygen is taken away leaving the yeast to react with the glucose to form alcohol nd co2...m i right?

yeah you're perfectly right yeast needs to respire anaerobically to produce ethanol and co2 and needs oxygen to reproduce :biggrin: pretty much it!

and no just beer, although you have to know that to make spirits you need to distill the alcohol as yeast can't cope with high levels of alcohol toxicity

umm the phloem allows the movement of sugars up and down the plant to different tissues in the plant and the xylem allows water and soluble substances to move up the plant from the roots to leaves....not sure if this is answering your question or not hahaha

and How is yoghurt made?
umm the phloem allows the movement of sugars up and down the plant to different tissues in the plant and the xylem allows water and soluble substances to move up the plant from the roots to leaves....not sure if this is answering your question or not hahaha

and How is yoghurt made?

I meant like:

Xylem provides support in stem and that but okay :tongue:

Oh gosh... Can't remember exact details and I don't want to cheat...

Pass. How is yoghurt made?:tongue:
I meant like:

Xylem provides support in stem and that but okay :tongue:

Oh gosh... Can't remember exact details and I don't want to cheat...

Pass. How is yoghurt made?:tongue:

Oh haha I was confused so just guessed :P

Milk is pasteurised to kill any harmful bacteria in it bacteria is added to millk it feeds on the lactose in the milk and produces lactic acid which thickens the yoghurt and gives it a sharp taste, then it's sampled and flavourings, colours added ...
might of missed out a step not sure :s-smilie:

heart transplant vs pacemaker or valves?
Oh haha I was confused so just guessed :P

Milk is pasteurised to kill any harmful bacteria in it bacteria is added to millk it feeds on the lactose in the milk and produces lactic acid which thickens the yoghurt and gives it a sharp taste, then it's sampled and flavourings, colours added ...
might of missed out a step not sure :s-smilie:

heart transplant vs pacemaker or valves?

Hmmm... I wouldn't know unless I checked the book :colondollar:

Heart Transplant = Risky, danger of rejection, needs to be in right conditions, needs to be done fast, consent is an issue, immune system weaken with suppressants. But won't.need replacing

Pacemaker/Valves = cheaper, quicker, easier, however could need replacing

Explain how a hole in the heart affects blood flow?
Hmmm... I wouldn't know unless I checked the book :colondollar:

Heart Transplant = Risky, danger of rejection, needs to be in right conditions, needs to be done fast, consent is an issue, immune system weaken with suppressants. But won't.need replacing

Pacemaker/Valves = cheaper, quicker, easier, however could need replacing

Explain how a hole in the heart affects blood flow?

It means some de-oxygenated blood will flow into the oxygenated blood and then will be pumped round the body from the aorta, decreasing the amount of oxygen in the blood flow and therefore heart has to work harder to supply cells with oxygen

explain how insulin is produced using genetic engineering?
I feel so unprepared reading through the posts.

Does anyone else have history on the same day too?
It means some de-oxygenated blood will flow into the oxygenated blood and then will be pumped round the body from the aorta, decreasing the amount of oxygen in the blood flow and therefore heart has to work harder to supply cells with oxygen

explain how insulin is produced using genetic engineering?

:yep:

The insulin gene is found, and isolated and then cut out with restriction enzymes. (sticky ends!)

The plasmid(?) also has a section removed from it

Ligase(?) is used to put the DNA strand into the plasmid gap so the sticky ends stick together...

It reproduces to make medicine, insulin gene...

Explain the advantages and disadvantages of intensive and organic farming.
Intensive

+
You get more product
Don't need as much space to create same amount of product as organic
-
ethical issues, animal cruelty, they have no room :frown:
Pesticides, fertilisers, herbicides can all run off fields and pollute drinking water
Expensive to use pesticides/ fertilisers/ herbicides

Organic

+
You don't have to buy expensive pesticides etc...
Increase in biodiversity
More ethical in terms of animals
Less harm to environment because no risk of polluting water supplies

-
Less efficient
You need more land
It's very expensive

what are the advantages of using biofuels?
Intensive

+
You get more product
Don't need as much space to create same amount of product as organic
-
ethical issues, animal cruelty, they have no room :frown:
Pesticides, fertilisers, herbicides can all run off fields and pollute drinking water
Expensive to use pesticides/ fertilisers/ herbicides

Organic

+
You don't have to buy expensive pesticides etc...
Increase in biodiversity
More ethical in terms of animals
Less harm to environment because no risk of polluting water supplies

-
Less efficient
You need more land
It's very expensive

what are the advantages of using biofuels?

Carbon neutral, as the co2 emissions are accounted for by the plant's photosynthesis... More environmentally friendly, although it's less energy than fossil fuels?

What haven't we done now? We've done quite a bit :biggrin:
Reply 276

what is that?

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
what is that?

Ryan

Plant*
Reply 278
Plant*

oh ok... i thought i missed a whole topic there :biggrin:

going to get in some good B5 revision....

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
oh ok... i thought i missed a whole topic there :biggrin:

going to get in some good B5 revision....

Ryan

Haha, plabtes :colone:

B5 is so big

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending