The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord of the Flies
Maybe one day, you'll agree on the beauty of this as well...

a,bNa,b\in\mathbb{N}

When a2+b21+ab\dfrac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} an integer, it is a perfect square.

Spoiler

(by the way I am not posting this as a problem for the thread)

Took me a while to remember that incident :tongue:
Reply 1281
It is a */**, but a difficult one.

(the joke was that it requires a mathematical argument which I love and which bananarama despises - I'll let you figure out what it is from the picture)

Wasn't L'art's the gamma function, and yours was proof by infinite descent?:wink:
Has anyone got a solution for 192? :smile:
Original post by ukdragon37

Spoiler

Yeah but know what else isn't long enough? Your dissertation.

Original post by Zakee
Wasn't L'art's the gamma function, and yours was proof by infinite descent?:wink:

That sounds about right. Things have changed a bit though - I'm hitting on her twin sister now. :tongue:
Reply 1284

That sounds about right. Things have changed a bit though - I'm hitting on her twin sister now. :tongue:

Who? Suzy? :wink:. Way to go, alpha-male. Or should I say, beta-male. :tongue:

No worries, I'm making good progress :wink:

Spoiler

No worries, I'm making good progress :wink:

Spoiler

You definitely need iced coffee, not that coffee, in this weather ;P
Original post by bananarama2
You definitely need iced coffee, not that coffee, in this weather ;P

There's good weather outside? *checks* So there is.
There's good weather outside? *checks* So there is.

:rofl:
Solution 185

Clearly, ff is strictly increasing function; we set f(x)=f1(x)\displaystyle f(-x) = f^{-1} (x). We note that f(0)=1f(0)=1 and f(2x)=f2(x)f(-2x)= f^{-2}(x)
As f>0f > 0 over the whole real line, we can introduce g(x)=lnf(x)g(x) = \ln f(x), which is obviously increasing; g(0)=0g(0) = 0.
Now, g(2x)+g(x)=lnf(x)+lnf2(x)=3g(x)\displaystyle g(2x)+g(x) = \ln f(x) + \ln f^{2}(x) = 3g(x). Suppose g(x)=xh(x)g(x) = xh(x). Thus 2xh(2x)+xh(x)=3xh(x)2xh(2x) + xh(x) = 3xh(x) or 2xh(2x)=2xh(x)2xh(2x) = 2xh(x), for x0x \not= 0 gives h(2x)=h(x)h(2x) = h(x) and hence h(x)=h(0)h(x) = h(0) for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}.
Therefore, f(x)=eh(0)xf(x) = e^{h(0)x}.

Solution 186

Imprimis, we notice that for each m{2,3,} m \in \{2,3,\cdots \}, there exists n{1,2,,}n \in \{1,2,\cdots, \} such that f(n)=mf(n)=m.
Secondly, f(n)f(n) is injective. Otherwise, m+1=n+1m+1 = n+1 for nmn \not= m.
The equality f(n)=1f(n) = 1 is impossible. If it were true, then we would have 1=f(n)=ff(n)(n)=n+11 = f(n) = f^{f(n)}(n) = n+1, which is clearly not true.
Let f(m)=2f(m)=2, m>2m>2. The inequality m>2m>2 holds true, for ff does not have any fixed points!
Hence, ff(1)(1)=2=f(m)f^{f(1)}(1) = 2 = f(m) or ff(1)1(1)=mf^{f(1)-1}(1) = m. As m>2m>2, we have ff(1)1(1)=ff(m1)(m1)f^{f(1)-1}(1) = f^{f(m-1)}(m-1). It is obvious that f(1)1>f(m1)f(1)-1 > f(m-1), and thus ff(1)1f(m1)(1)=m1f^{f(1)-1-f(m-1)}(1)=m-1. Following this path, we arrive at ff(1)1f(m1)f(2)(1)=ff(1)(1)f^{f(1)-1-f(m-1)-\cdots-f(2)}(1) = f^{f(1)}(1), which is a contradiction.

Solution 192

Suppose ba<πb-a < \pi. We can also suppose that (a,b)(0,π)(a,b) \subset (0,\pi). Consider g(x)=f(x)sinx\displaystyle g(x)=\frac{f(x)}{\sin x}; let, h(x)=sin2xg(x)h(x)=\sin^{2}x g'(x). Then, h(x)0h'(x) \ge 0 over (a,b)(a,b). Moreover, there exists cc such that g(c)=0g'(c)=0, which implies that g(x)g(x) decreases from zero to g(c)g(c) - contradiction.
Hence baπb-a \ge \pi.
Suppose ba=πb-a= \pi. On the one hand, f(0)+f(π)=0f(0)+f(\pi)=0 by the definition of ff. On the other hand, however, we have f(0)+f(π)>0f(0)+f(\pi) >0, from the condition f+f>0f+f'' >0, which is a contradiction.

I suppose that ff is continuous at aa and bb.

Solution 195

Let a2,b2,c2a^{2},b^{2},c^{2} be an arithmetic progression with non-zero common difference. Then, a2+c2=2b2a^{2}+c^{2}=2b^{2} which has infinitely many solutions in positive integers. We derive this result from a more general theorem about ternary forms.

Solution 196

The elliptic curve y2=x(x1)(x+3)y^{2}=x(x-1)(x+3) coincides with the modular curve X0(24)X_{0}(24). Hence E(Q)Z/2Z×Z/4ZE(\mathbb{Q}) \cong \mathbb{Z}/{2\mathbb{Z}} \times \mathbb{Z}/{4\mathbb{Z}}. Therefore, [±1,±1,±1,±1][\pm1,\pm 1,\pm 1, \pm 1] are the only Q\mathbb{Q}-rational points on the curve, and these points correspond to trivial solutions.

There are not enough number theory problems...

Problem 202**

Find all polynomials P(x)P(x) such that, for all nZ+n \in \mathbb{Z^{+}}, there exists at least one integer mm such that P(m)=2nP(m)=2^{n}.

Problem 203**

For any positive integer nn set An={j1jn,gcd(j,n)=1}A_{n} = \{j | 1 \le j \le n, \gcd(j,n)=1 \}. Find all nn such that P(x)=jAnxj1\displaystyle P(x) = \sum_{j \in A_{n}} x^{j-1} is irreducible over Z[X]\mathbb{Z}[X].

Problem 204**

Let pp be a prime number, 0a1<<am<p0 \le a_{1} < \cdots < a_{m}<p and 0b1<<bn0 \le b_{1} < \cdots < b_{n} be arbitrary integers. Let kk be the number of different reminders of aj+bia_{j}+b_{i}, 1jm1 \le j \le m and 1in1 \le i \le n modulo pp.
Prove that m+n>pm+n >p implies k=pk=p and m+npm+n \le p - km+n1k \ge m+n-1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1290
Original post by Mladenov

I must say, I've never seen the word imprimis used before. It does add a certain credibility to your solution though :tongue: I might try to sneak that word into my future solutions too!
Original post by such
I must say, I've never seen the word imprimis used before. It does add a certain credibility to your solution though :tongue: I might try to sneak that word into my future solutions too!

Lovely scrabble word, I should try and use it in the future.
Maybe one day, you'll agree on the beauty of this as well...

a,bNa,b\in\mathbb{N}

When a2+b21+ab\dfrac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} an integer, it is a perfect square.

Spoiler

(by the way I am not posting this as a problem for the thread)

Prove it (it's supposed to be the hardest ever IMO question set, but I don't think that's true).
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

The hardest IMO?! Vieta jumping kills it in three lines. For those who know not this method - click.

The difficulty of a given question is a relative concept. However, I would vote for IMO 2002 Problem 6.
In my view, the most difficult problem which has ever been proposed for IMO is Problem 6 Algebra IMO SL 2003.

Original post by such

Spoiler

Edgar Allan Poe is an influential writer, you know.:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1294
Original post by shamika
Prove it (it's supposed to be the hardest ever IMO question set, but I don't think that's true).

I tried to, today. (I've heard of Vieta Jumping but never bothered to look at it). Safe to say, my attempts have been futile. I've got somewhere, but all that is similar to a real solution is that I've used mathematics to yield more mathematics. :facepalm:

Edit: Looking at Vieta Jumping now, Mlad was right. Wow. That's so much simpler, haha.
Reply 1295
Original post by Zakee
I tried to, today. (I've heard of Vieta Jumping but never bothered to look at it). Safe to say, my attempts have been futile. I've got somewhere, but all that is similar to a real solution is that I've used mathematics to yield more mathematics. :facepalm:

Edit: Looking at Vieta Jumping now, Mlad was right. Wow. That's so much simpler, haha.

This is the same problem I showed you earlier.

Remember Go Buy Chai? :tongue:
Reply 1296
Original post by MW24595
This is the same problem I showed you earlier.

Remember Go Buy Chai? :tongue:

Mhm, I do. The students and the Australian committee. :wink:. Don't worry, Go buy Chai (Ngo Bao Chu) will meet his match. (I'm changing my name to Go buy Lipton). :sexface:
Reply 1297
Just for anyone who's doing any late night Mathematics/Studying/Procrastination (the most likely option), here's a small meme to cheer you up:

Original post by such

Original post by Mladenov
Edgar Allan Poe is an influential writer, you know.:tongue:

Personally I like "ansatz". :tongue:
Original post by Zakee
Just for anyone who's doing any late night Mathematics/Studying/Procrastination (the most likely option), here's a small meme to cheer you up:

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest