acid catalyst for esterification

acid catalyst for alkene + steam

Ni for hydrogenation

Iron for haber process

Can't remember any more :smile:

Thank you!!!!!
Reply 2341
Original post by wndms
Do we need to know nucleophillic substitution with water? Mechanism?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and it's a hydroxide :OH-
Reply 2342
Do we need to know nucleophillic substitution involving water mechanism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2343
Original post by ii-mohsin-ii
Predictions...
no point stating them because everything WILL come up, look at the past papers if you don't believe me :biggrin:

True :biggrin:
can tertiary alcohol + carboxylic acid form an ester? how does the displayed formula of the ester differ from secondary alcohols + carboxylic acid and primary alcohols + carboxylic acid?
Original post by fantafruittwist9
Do we need to know exactly how a mass spectrometer works ?

Stage 1: Ionisation
Stage 2: Acceleration
Stage 3: Deflection
Stage 4: Detection
Reply 2346
Original post by bluedate
Yes, and it's a hydroxide :OH-

But not with water right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by freddimckinlay
would you ever get a secondary alcohol plus a carboxylic acid to form an ester? if you can, how do you do it?

The same way you do it normally, I'm pretty sure I did a question on it before. Remember to make an ester, you need to remove the O-H on the alcohol and remove the -H bonded to the -O in the carboxylic acid and then attach the free bond in the carbon in the alcohol to the -O in the carboxylic acid.

IMG_0134[1].jpg
should be propyl ethanoate?*
(edited 10 years ago)
Question 6 c June 2010 PLEASE help .........its a marker!

:biggrin:

Good luck guys... i love OCR coz the exam in the afetrnoon so we can calmly do it but tbh my brain doesn't work in late mornings.
Reply 2349
Original post by geekD96
may I just ask...that there is a nucleophillic addition and a nucleophillic substituition...are those different or same ;/ I think im overcomplicating myself:frown:

Yes, they re TOTALLY different!

Nucleophilic Addition is the involvement of nitrogen rings and all sorts!
We learnt about seven mechanisms before whittling it down to the main three!
-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simifeltham
you're talking about oxidation of alcohols.

Secondary alcohols can easily form esters with carboxylic acids.

methanoic acid + propan-2-ol --> 2-propylmethanoate

Oh. thanks! I always lose marks in exams due to not reading the paper. RTFP people... Read The Flipping Paper!
Reply 2351
Original post by wndms
But not with water right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the one with water is the steam + alkene using Ni catalyst :smile:
Original post by simifeltham
Stage 1: Ionisation
Stage 2: Acceleration
Stage 3: Deflection
Stage 4: Detection

Thankss!
Original post by freddimckinlay
can tertiary alcohol + carboxylic acid form an ester? how does the displayed formula of the ester differ from secondary alcohols + carboxylic acid and primary alcohols + carboxylic acid?

They can , you can form the most ridiculous esters you want.
e.g.
2-methylpropan-2-ol + 2-methyl hexanoic acid --> 2-methylprop-2-yl 2-methylhexanoate

the structure just differs from the orientation of the ester bond
I have been scanning through some old past papers. And here are some new type of long answer q's.

* Explain how CCl2F2 in the stratosphere alter the balance of oxygen and ozone. You should include equations in your answer. [6]
* Describe, using one example in each case, the different modes of action of homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis. [10]
* Outline how ethanol is produced industrially from sugars and from ethene. Comment on the decisions that a company needs to consider when deciding which of these methods to use. [8]
* Outline the processes of how components obtained from fractional distillation are refined with aid of suitable equations. State the importance of products formed in each process [8]

Some not so long, but tricky q's.
* Explain the greenhouse effect [3]
* State two environmental consequences of the presence of nitrogen monoxide
* Explain with reasons two uses of CCl2F2 [2]
* In the conditions often used in the Haber process, there is only a 15% yield of ammonia. Suggest what happens to any unreacted nitrogen and hydrogen. [1]

If you want answers, just ask me :smile:
Original post by sohailkm96
The same way you do it normally, I'm pretty sure I did a question on it before. Remember to make an ester, you need to remove the O-H on the alcohol and remove the -H bonded to the -O in the carboxylic acid and then attach the free bond in the carbon in the alcohol to the -O in the carboxylic acid.

IMG_0134[1].jpg
should be propyl ethanoate?*

Yeah, It's propyl ethanoate :smile:
I greatly anticipate OZONE and Green chemistry to come up and mainly.. mechanisms coz these didn't come up in Jan 13
Reply 2357
Original post by Ché.
Yes, they re TOTALLY different!

Nucleophilic Addition is the involvement of nitrogen rings and all sorts!
We learnt about seven mechanisms before whittling it down to the main three!
-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to know nucleophilic addition until unit 4
Remember that electrophilic addition think alkenes :smile:
Reply 2358
Original post by walkers38
I have been scanning through some old past papers. And here are some new type of long answer q's.

* Explain how CCl2F2 in the stratosphere alter the balance of oxygen and ozone. You should include equations in your answer. [6]
* Describe, using one example in each case, the different modes of action of homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis. [10]
* Outline how ethanol is produced industrially from sugars and from ethene. Comment on the decisions that a company needs to consider when deciding which of these methods to use. [8]
* Outline the processes of how components obtained from fractional distillation are refined with aid of suitable equations. State the importance of products formed in each process [8]

* In the conditions often used in the Haber process, there is only a 15% yield of ammonia. Suggest what happens to any unreacted nitrogen and hydrogen. [1]

Hi
What's the answer to Describe, using one example in each case, the different modes of action of homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis. [10]
Reply 2359
Original post by walkers38

How do you answer the homogeneous and hetrogenous Q?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending