The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Good Luck everyone :smile: Relax remember to watch out for sig figs!
Even if you don't know how to solve a calculation just times and divide a little and get the sig figs for a method mark

Edit: C-Cl is stronger as the atom is smaller, this means electrons are closer to the nucleus, this is why the bond enthalpy for C-Br is lower :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 601
what would be an ideal 3/4 mark answer for solubility of polymers? i dont really know how to go into detail on it..:confused:
Reply 602
Original post by TheNote
Edit:

It depends, bond enthalpies:
C-Cl is stronger due to a higher polarity caused by a higher elctronegativity which means the bonding electrons are attracted more strongly to the smaller halogens in C-Halogen bonds.
However when talking about boiling points the larger halogens are easier to boil since their intermolecular bonds are weaker due to less polarity in their bonds.

i understand the first bit but a little confused on the boiling point bit. theres a question on it in the jan 13 paper (question 2d) which has confused me.
thank you for the help btw
Reply 603
Original post by issy5038
what would be an ideal 3/4 mark answer for solubility of polymers? i dont really know how to go into detail on it..:confused:

Hydrogen bonding causes solubility. It occurs because oxygen is small and electronegative making it partially negatively charged whereas hydrogen has a partial positive charge; this causes an attraction. -OH groups on the polymer can hydrogen bond to water molecules as the also have OH groups.
Reply 604
Original post by issy5038

I can't find many ways to ask you in detail about it, since it's mostly, does it have OH in it? Yes? Does it have lots or little OH in it:
lots: soluble
Little: not soluble

Also ester groups make a polymer soluble, due to the oxygen being able to hydrogen bond.
Reply 605
Original post by TheNote
I can't find many ways to ask you in detail about it, since it's mostly, does it have OH in it? Yes? Does it have lots or little OH in it:
lots: soluble
Little: not soluble

Also ester groups make a polymer soluble, due to the oxygen being able to hydrogen bond.

Having lots of hydrogen bonds means the hydrogen bonds are too strong between the molecules and therefore cannot break and join with water molecules; it requires a balance for a polymer to be soluble.
Reply 606
Original post by YA BISH
i understand the first bit but a little confused on the boiling point bit. theres a question on it in the jan 13 paper (question 2d) which has confused me.
thank you for the help btw

I don't know, either way, the larger the atom and the more of them their are, the larger the boiling point.
Reply 607
Original post by Hac
Having lots of hydrogen bonds means the hydrogen bonds are too strong between the molecules and therefore cannot break and join with water molecules; it requires a balance for a polymer to be soluble.

Wouldn't it just slow down the rate at which it dissolves rather than reducing it's solubility? because can't water break covalent bonds in polar molecules?
C-Cl is stronger than C-Br because Cl is smaller and the bonding electrons can get closer to the nucleus. (It has nothing so to with polarity)

However Br2 has a higher boiling point than Cl2 because it is larger and has more electrons so stronger instantaneous dipole-induced dipole bonds which require more energy to break.

Regarding -OH groups and polymer solubility, one OH on the monomer is only slightly soluble but all OH groups means the polymer is more attracted to its other OH groups than the H2O so it is not soluble.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 609
Original post by Davelittle
C-Cl is stronger than C-Br because Cl is smaller and the bonding electrons can get closer to the nucleus. (It has nothing so to with polarity)

However Br2 has a higher boiling point than Cl2 because it is larger and has more electrons so stronger instantaneous dipole-induced dipole bonds which require more energy to break.

Regarding -OH groups and polymer solubility, one OH on the monomer is only slightly soluble but all OH groups means the polymer is more attracted to its other OH groups than the H2O so it is not soluble.

What about bond polarity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 610
Original post by Branny101

Posted from TSR Mobile

bond polarity is related to electronegativity, the more electronegative it is, the more polarity it has.
Original post by Branny101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bond polarity doesn't affect bond strength (there was a question in Jan 2013 on this)
Original post by Davelittle
Bond polarity doesn't affect bond strength (there was a question in Jan 2013 on this)

So what effects bond strength, it all confuses me im sure polarity plays a part

Posted from TSR Mobile
Afternoon exam right?
Reply 614
yes afternoon exam
Original post by JoshThomas
So what effects bond strength, it all confuses me im sure polarity plays a part

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bond reactivity in this term depends on how close the outer shell electron is to the nucleus; the outer shell electron in Bromine is further away than Chlorine, as it's a larger atom; thus there's less nuclear charge, thus less energy is required for Bromine to lose its electron and react.

Bond polarity plays a very small role in the case of halogenoalkanes. Bond reactivity explains why the rate of hydrolysis is faster for bromoalkanes than chloroalkanes, as simply the C-Br is weaker than the C-Cl bond, so it'll take less time to break the C-Br bond and hence react quicker.

There was a question on this in the June 2007 legacy paper, and recently in the Jan 2013 paper. Try doing them, it'll help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do we explain the difference in silicon dioxide and carbon dioxide in terms of boiling and melting points?

Also in the Jan 2010 paper is asks you to give the name and full structure of another alkene monomer that is reacted to but-2-ene to get co-polymer A
It says the answers is propene, but I don't understand why?

Also last question, What is the instantaneous-induced forces and van der waals? I understand some of it but not properly
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 617
Original post by Whostolemycookie
How do we explain the difference in silicon dioxide and carbon dioxide in terms of boiling and melting points?

Also in the Jan 2010 paper is asks you to give the name and full structure of another alkene monomer that is reacted to but-2-ene to get co-polymer A
It says the answers is propene, but I don't understand why?

SiO2 has a giant lattice structure with covalent bonding. CO2, O=C=O, has a simple molecular structure with covalent bonding. Bonds in SiO2 are stronger than weak intermolecular bonds in CO2.
Original post by krisshP
SiO2 has a giant lattice structure with covalent bonding. CO2, O=C=O, has a simple molecular structure with covalent bonding. Bonds in SiO2 are stronger than weak intermolecular bonds in CO2.

No I meant in terms of boiling and melting points not bonds and structure
Reply 619
Original post by Whostolemycookie
No I meant in terms of boiling and melting points not bonds and structure

That ^ is the explanation for why SiO2 his a higher boiling an higher melting point than CO2.

Latest

Trending

Trending