The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kurraiyo
Iodide is the strongest reducing agent because, due to its largest radius, it has the lowest charge density. So the nuclear pull on the extra electron in the iodide ion is weakest, and thus it is easiest to remove. With chloride, for example, the charge density of the chloride ion is much higher and so the extra electron is held more tightly. So it is not easy to oxidise a chloride ion (in other words it is a weak reducing agent). Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you soo much! :biggrin:
Original post by Goods
Yep :smile:
In jan 2011 do you know the question about what happens when a tube of HI is inverted in water? The mark scheme isn't clear and I don't know the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

It dissolves in the water, all hydrogen halides are soluble in water
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by posthumus
So what's the test for HCl (I saw that blue litmus turning red was no accepted in a past paper :s-smilie:).

Add NH3 ... to form NH4Cl?? Observe white solid/smoke?

HBR also forms white solid with ammonia. Most likely the test it to add HNO3 followed by silver nitrate solution. A white precipitate of AgCl will form which dissolves in dilute ammonia, forming [Ag(NH3)]+

(Not sure though. What does the mark scheme say?)
Original post by Goods
Yep :smile:
In jan 2011 do you know the question about what happens when a tube of HI is inverted in water? The mark scheme isn't clear and I don't know the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

HI gas is soluble in water. So, the water will rise up the inverted tube. :smile:
Original post by Goods
My brother said it when I was complaining about a mark scheme he studies chem at uni it's not worth worrying over they won't ask about it in that way. The stuff about carbocations is also extra syllabus it's just nice to apply the kinetics to see why trends occur. For the exam you need to know that haloalkanes react faster if the halogen atom is further down the group and that the tertiary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation due to having surrounding alkyl groups. :biggrin: sorry if I was stressing you making you think you didn't know something critical

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know all that. I just don't get how tertiary halogenoalkanes are more reactive than primary halogenoalkanes. It's bugging me :s-smilie:.
Original post by airheadbuster
I know all that. I just don't get how tertiary halogenoalkanes are more reactive than primary halogenoalkanes. It's bugging me :s-smilie:.

They are more reactive because the carbon attached to the halide has more CH3 groups attached to it. A CH3 group tends to push electrons in the bond away from itself; and encourages the release of the halide.
Original post by scientific222
They are more reactive because the carbon attached to the halide has more CH3 groups attached to it. A CH3 group tends to push electrons in the bond away from itself; and encourages the release of the halide.

I get it now. :thumbsup:

Edit: :sleepy: Best of luck guys.
(edited 10 years ago)
this might help you guys revise.

Edexcel AS Chemistry Unit 2.pdf
I'm happy about my knowledge until I come to this thread and all the people's discussions confuse me. xD
image.jpg Can someone answer the q with the star please
Original post by thextractor007
this might help you guys revise.

Edexcel AS Chemistry Unit 2.pdf

Thank you so much :smile: just what I was looking for , best of luck !
Original post by Lillian Collins
Thank you so much :smile: just what I was looking for , best of luck !

You too. My pleasure. This is a summary so just go through it before the exam.

Chemistry Summary Unit 2.pptx
This how I d answer it, not saying I'm right i just hope i am...
Answer:C- because all the group 2 metals react with chlorine to form ionic salts (solids) [except for beryllium chloride which is covalent but that's solid too anyway]
Why these are not right:
A- Metal oxides neutralise dilute acid- so an alkaline pH like 10 would make sense (not that I knew the pH was 10)
B- Group II sulfates follow the same solubility trends as carbonates though I'm pretty sure that's not in our spec?
D- Group I metal carbonates except Lithium do not compose but group II do
Hope that's right otherwise I should probably just give up x
Original post by Lillian Collins
image.jpg Can someone answer the q with the star please

It is C. The group 2 metals burn in chloride to form solid metal chlorides

Wow dude thanks!
can someone please please please list me all of the trends in the periodic table we need to know? I'm a bit lost on this, thank you!
Reply 1156
Original post by Tuya
YouTube? Any channels in particular?

Posted from the TSR iPad app

There is Khan's academy, chemistNATE and mr causey which are the main three I used
Reply 1157
Original post by Maybenexttime
I'm happy about my knowledge until I come to this thread and all the people's discussions confuse me. xD

i feel u bro :s-smilie:

Just perfect , thank you !
Do we need to know any drying agents? And do we need to no how to separate ethanol from water

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending