The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qs2xo
they could potentially ask you, yes eg. How was the second experiment by Loftus and Palmer carried out?

If they do it will most likely be a 4 mark question where you just have to briefly describe the procedure without too much detail.

They can also ask you about the procedure in Section B for an 8 mark question where you would need to fully describe the procedure with plenty of detail

Oh, yeah I supose that makes sense.. I was trying to cut down on some revision by only trying to revise the procedure parts for the section B questions I think will come up haha.
Original post by mkhan9035
Yes they could do but really briefly! Like a summary of the main method/procedure and what they did i.e

In Griffiths study outline the procedure used in the 'thinking aloud' condition.

You'd talk about the fact RG and NRGs were randomly assigned to either the thinking aloud condition and were told to verbalise everything that came to their minds, it didn't have to be in full sentences, and they would talk in the attached lapel microphone near the fruit machine (which would be transcribed later on)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm.. I hate this exam there is so much to revise for :frown:
Original post by mkhan9035
What have you revised for Section B and how? Have you mainly gone over improvements, and A/M/P/R/C?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup thats right. Time to crack on with section C now. :s-smilie:
Original post by qs2xo
It could do. Participants completed the eyes task were given a fixed choice question about the mental state of the eyes in the photo and were given the choice of 2 answers (foil and target word).

Other self report measures are seen when questions were asked in the gender recognition and basic emotion task too. Hope this helps!

Thank you that did help a lot!! :colondollar:
Original post by lankan-gurl
I'm mainly focusing on the physiological approach seeing as that is the only approach that hasn't come up recently in the paper.. For section B .. I'm just focusing on Sperry, R&H, BC & Maguire.

Oh and I mentioned Maguire because I think that it only ever came up once just like the others above but also because some other people on this thread think it could possibly come up.

I'm hoping that BC comes for section B.. what are you focusing on?

Ohh right I see lol
Im really hoping for Baron-Cohen and the Physiological approach (thats what im particularly focusing on) if it doesnt come up im screwed :frown:
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Yup thats right. Time to crack on with section C now. :s-smilie:

What is A/M/P/R/C ?
Original post by random1234567
Ohh right I see lol
Im really hoping for Baron-Cohen and the Physiological approach (thats what im particularly focusing on) if it doesnt come up im screwed :frown:

Awh don't worry I'm pretty sure that the Physiological approach has to come up and as for Baron-Cohen I hope that does come but because it has only ever been on once it may be slightly harder to predict it will definitely come.
Awh don't worry I'm pretty sure that the Physiological approach has to come up and as for Baron-Cohen I hope that does come but because it has only ever been on once it may be slightly harder to predict it will definitely come.

But ill revise some other studies just in case I just dont wanna open the paper and think oh crap..
Really hope physiological does come up!!
Also do you have any tips for section B (what to revise etc)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Caroline680
What is A/M/P/R/C ?

Aim, method, procedure, results and conclusions.
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Aim, method, procedure, results and conclusions.

Ahhhh thanks :colondollar:
Reply 970
How do you write a the 10 marker for section B, as an example "Describe and evaluate changes that could be made to the way your chosen study was conducted" how would I do that for Baron Cohen for example?
But ill revise some other studies just in case I just dont wanna open the paper and think oh crap..
Really hope physiological does come up!!
Also do you have any tips for section B (what to revise etc)

Yeah its probably best to revise other studies too.. besides you need to know each study in detail for section A. For section B focus on sperry, maguire, reicher and haslam and BC.. one of these are bound to come up.

Section B has 6 questions, usually the first question tends to ask what the aim/hypotheses of the study is, in the january 2009 paper they asked you to describe the background of a study but since it hasn't been up any time after that its not essential to learn that for section B. Most of the questions are similar but they may ask it in a different way, they could ask you to describe the sample/sampling method and then on the following question ask you to give an advantage/disadvantage. It could ask what experimental method/design was used in your study or ask you to justify why your chosen study is that particular method/design and then ask for an adv/disadv. Questions E & F of section B always ask you to suggest how your chosen study could be changed, and the implications of these changes.

This section is out of 36 marks so you should really only spend half an hour on it.
Yeah its probably best to revise other studies too.. besides you need to know each study in detail for section A. For section B focus on sperry, maguire, reicher and haslam and BC.. one of these are bound to come up.

Section B has 6 questions, usually the first question tends to ask what the aim/hypotheses of the study is, in the january 2009 paper they asked you to describe the background of a study but since it hasn't been up any time after that its not essential to learn that for section B. Most of the questions are similar but they may ask it in a different way, they could ask you to describe the sample/sampling method and then on the following question ask you to give an advantage/disadvantage. It could ask what experimental method/design was used in your study or ask you to justify why your chosen study is that particular method/design and then ask for an adv/disadv. Questions E & F of section B always ask you to suggest how your chosen study could be changed, and the implications of these changes.

This section is out of 36 marks so you should really only spend half an hour on it.

Ahh thanks for that and sperry is my worst study lol.
I hope we get a decent paper and good luck!!

to be honest, Sperry is my worst study.. but however.. i think that's the easiest for the changes bit as my teacher gave us model answers stating that the epilepsy could have formed some brain damage, which would have been a confounding variable affecting their performance

to revise sperry because i find the changes easy.. or to revise others such as b+c or maguire because i find the study easy... hmmmm :L
Someone please give me a couple of Changes - Evaluation - Implicaition points for Sperry's Study?
Original post by Tom Istefanous
Someone please give me a couple of Changes - Evaluation - Implicaition points for Sperry's Study?

use a comparison sample of people who don't have a split brain.. increases validity of the results as you can see a clear difference

use a longitudinal design - study people before the split brain operation, not long after the op then a couple of years after the op. increases the validity as you can see a clear change in their behaviour, provides a better insight into how the behaviour develops/changes, but may be hard to obtain participants who are waiting for a split brain op
Original post by saber123
How do you write a the 10 marker for section B, as an example "Describe and evaluate changes that could be made to the way your chosen study was conducted" how would I do that for Baron Cohen for example?

You don't get 10 markers in section B. It is out of 8 marks for the changes to your chosen study and 8 marks for the implications of your chosen study question so 16 in total for questions E & F.

Basically you would start of by writing a specific change to the study and then explaining in detail how you would go about that change. Then you would mention another change and again explain in detail how you would change it.

I don't really have an example for Baron-Cohen but I can give you an example of the same type of question that I answered for Maguire's study and received 8/8 for:

One change that could be made to Maguire's study, was the sample that she had decided to use. Her sample consisted of all maless, who lived in London this could have an effect on the reliability and validity of the results. If I was to change this study I would suggest using women taxi drivers, preferably the same age to each other, all right-handed. I would also include another group of women who are non-taxi drivers but are still right-handed. Just like the original study they will be matched on age, I would choose the women from 5 different countries around the world so that the sample is more representative. All of the women will have a healthy psychiatric medical record. A second change I would introduce to the study is experience, the original study only recorded how the long the taxi driver had been working under that occupation, some of them could have been working part-time and others would be full-time thus experience would vary which makes the study less valid. I would therefore change this so that there exists a longitudinal study which consists of participants taking part for a lengthened period of time in the research/study. A record could be kept by the actual taxi driver of how many hours they have spent driving/working as a taxi driver per day or per week.

I hope this gives you a sort of idea as to the things you should or could include.
(edited 10 years ago)
You don't get 10 markers in section B. It is out of 8 marks for the changes to your chosen study and 8 marks for the implications of your chosen study question so 16 in total for questions E & F.

Basically you would start of my writing a specific change to the study and then explaining in detail how you would go about that change. Then you would mention another change and again explain in detail how you would change it.

I don't really have an example for Baron-Cohen but I can give you an example of the same type of question that I answered for Maguire's study and received 8/8 for:

One change that could be made to Maguire's study, was the sample that she had decided to use. Her sample consisted of all maless, who lived in London this could have an effect on the reliability and validity of the results. If I was to change this study I would suggest using women taxi drivers, preferably the same age to each other, all right-handed. I would also include another group of women who are non-taxi drivers but are still right-handed. Just like the original study they will be matched on age, I would choose the women from 5 different countries around the world so that the sample is more representative. All of the women will have a healthy psychiatric medical record. A second change I would introduce to the study is experience, the original study only recorded hpw the long the taxi driver had been working under that occupation, some of them could have been working part-time and others would be full-time thus experience would vary which makes the study less valid. I would therefore change this so that there exists a longitudinal study which consists of participants taking part for a lengthened period of time in the research/study. A record could be kept by the actual taxi driver of how many hours they have spent driving/working as a taxi driver per day or per week.

I hope this gives you a sort of idea as to the things you should or could include.

i believe there was a ten marker in jan13, because the other questions were all 6 markers, instead of 8

No problem :smile: Urgh I hate Sperry too.. but don't worry about it.. hopefully we do get a decent paper.
Reply 979
Why did baron cohen want to compare autistic adults with tourettes? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending