The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by clareramos
point proven, but GIS is in the spec and it has been in several papers in the past, but not directly as it wasn't here.

I don't think anyone knows what you're talking about.. I know what GIS is but it didn't come up in any way in this paper as far as I can remember so unless you can mention the question your post means nothing to me and anyone else Here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 441
Original post by Blueray2
Ohh you should get the brown one instead :biggrin:

Ooh is it better? Picture? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
I don't think anyone knows what you're talking about.. I know what GIS is but it didn't come up in any way in this paper as far as I can remember so unless you can mention the question your post means nothing to me and anyone else Here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its full of crap mate. Along with many of her other posts, its no help./
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

post 314. :biggrin:

GIS did come up, as how do you think that map was made? You are speaking about disadvantages of the map, which would have been created using GIS, and it links to map design, which links strongly to GIS, especially in that example. Links don't have to be obvious, but that GIS one is actually quite obvious. You are analysing disadvantages of map design on a map that has been created using GIS.
Reply 444
post 314. :biggrin:

GIS did come up, as how do you think that map was made? You are speaking about disadvantages of the map, which would have been created using GIS, and it links to map design, which links strongly to GIS, especially in that example. Links don't have to be obvious, but that GIS one is actually quite obvious. You are analysing disadvantages of map design on a map that has been created using GIS.

LOL, sorry this made me laugh. I think you are looking in to that question too much, it wanted an advantage of a dot map and 2 disadvantages of a dot map to display that kind of data, I understand it may have been created using GIS but that's not relevant to the question. Also I just read your profile on here, I'm guessing you're a teacher? :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its full of crap mate. Along with many of her other posts, its no help./

hate to point out to you she's right though. I've never seen the question and looked at the post she said about, which was about disadvantages of dot map of Brazil?

That links very well to GIS, few quick things I can say, having quickly read a few posts on it:

1) inset maps could have been used to show urban areas
2) location is important, could important cities been put on, with Halos on them, so you can tell what they are, and so there is a visual hierarchy. Also so that you can then look at where places are.
3) it's a dot map, so could be dot density or proportional symbols, by sounds of it was proportional symbols, could dot density have been used.
4) map layout, was there lots of map furniture, could that have been re-arranged to make the map bigger.
5) Was the coordinate system used appropriate? more than likely been WGS1984
6) Did the orientation of the map suit the area being shown, so being Brazil would of expected portrait orientation.
7) Size of the map, would a bigger map have been clearer.
8) If the map was B&W was it well designed, could colour have been used to show differences instead of size. B&W maps are VERY hard to design.
9) Was the lower limit of the dots appropriate? could a lower limit been used, and link it to colour.

All of them to do with GIS, and would answer question. Bits in red are ones that aren't obvious or bits that are bit more technical.
Original post by ElChapo
LOL, sorry this made me laugh. I think you are looking in to that question too much, it wanted an advantage of a dot map and 2 disadvantages of a dot map to display that kind of data, I understand it may have been created using GIS but that's not relevant to the question. Also I just read your profile on here, I'm guessing you're a teacher? :redface:

but map design is important when talking about disadvantages of the dot map, that is very much to do with GIS.
Original post by ElChapo

What the other person said above me, GIS is relevant to it. disadvantages could well have been to do with GIS, as you can link map design and creation in to it, which is a major part of GIS.

I used to teach and now lecture, but still do a lot of work with A Level and GCSE Fieldwork and Skills, also used to mark unit 2, as well as 4A.
Original post by marcushumphrey
hate to point out to you she's right though. I've never seen the question and looked at the post she said about, which was about disadvantages of dot map of Brazil?

That links very well to GIS, few quick things I can say, having quickly read a few posts on it:

1) inset maps could have been used to show urban areas
2) location is important, could important cities been put on, with Halos on them, so you can tell what they are, and so there is a visual hierarchy. Also so that you can then look at where places are.
3) it's a dot map, so could be dot density or proportional symbols, by sounds of it was proportional symbols, could dot density have been used.
4) map layout, was there lots of map furniture, could that have been re-arranged to make the map bigger.
5) Was the coordinate system used appropriate? more than likely been WGS1984
6) Did the orientation of the map suit the area being shown, so being Brazil would of expected portrait orientation.
7) Size of the map, would a bigger map have been clearer.
8) If the map was B&W was it well designed, could colour have been used to show differences instead of size. B&W maps are VERY hard to design.
9) Was the lower limit of the dots appropriate? could a lower limit been used, and link it to colour.

All of them to do with GIS, and would answer question. Bits in red are ones that aren't obvious or bits that are bit more technical.

Ive seen every single unit 2 paper and it does not have that mate. Probably only a few map questions, but not much GIS.
Ive seen every single unit 2 paper and it does not have that mate. Probably only a few map questions, but not much GIS.

He would of sat 1st ever unit 2 (I'd assume by his age), and pretty sure the first few years didn't have much as GIS was being piloted then, so there wouldn't of been much GIS, but the points he put you could alter and use for most map questions asking for advantages and disadvantages, and they all link with map production, which will be GIS.

Most map based question you can in some way link to GIS, baring in mind they will be created using GIS rather than cartographically.
He would of sat 1st ever unit 2 (I'd assume by his age), and pretty sure the first few years didn't have much as GIS was being piloted then, so there wouldn't of been much GIS, but the points he put you could alter and use for most map questions asking for advantages and disadvantages, and they all link with map production, which will be GIS.

Most map based question you can in some way link to GIS, baring in mind they will be created using GIS rather than cartographically.

I just told you I did EVERY unit 2 paper.
Any way why are we debating this :lol: the exams over, and we did the paper not you or anyone else for that matter, we know what came up.

Lets just move on.
Reply 451
I just told you I did EVERY unit 2 paper.
Any way why are we debating this :lol: the exams over, and we did the paper not you or anyone else for that matter, we know what came up.

Lets just move on.

Yeah I know I give up on them, my teacher never went over GIS and when I asked him about it, he said it's unlikely we'd be questioned on it. I also done every paper and I'm certain GIS was not the angle of that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Yeah I know I give up on them, my teacher never went over GIS and when I asked him about it, he said it's unlikely we'd be questioned on it. I also done every paper and I'm certain GIS was not the angle of that question

Posted from TSR Mobile

GIS has been mentioned in mark schemes as angles that can be taken for the questions. You will never get a direct question on GIS, it will be in within another skill, often involving mapping or data presentation. It has been in questions before on both as a valid answer.
Reply 453
Hey everyone! How are exams going?

I just had chem unit 2 today, I have M1 next Mnday and then i'm done yayyyyyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CurtisDean
Hey everyone! How are exams going?

I just had chem unit 2 today, I have M1 next Mnday and then i'm done yayyyyyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got psych today and s1 on Monday then I am finished too. Yay!

Reply 455
Original post by ElChapo

I don't understand how GIS would even come to a person's head over a completely straight forward question like that? Way to over-complicate things hahaha
in unit 1, does anyone know the two questions that came up in the Population section which were about Urban and Rural settlements?
Reply 457
Has anyone got the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 458
CALLING ALL GEOGRAPHERS!!!!!

I think more people should join the TSR Geography Society - so we all have an official place to discuss things!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1567156

:smile: :biggrin:
Reply 459
Got 50UMS... What does that mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply