The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simstaaar
I don't actually have any critical quotes/views which worries me!!! I'm comparing volpone with Blake then a&c as the stand alone *super sad face*

Do you want some critics? send me your email :smile: and I just panic in the exam and I've got to the point where I wanna give up/don't care and my exams haven't even started!!! argh!
Reply 201
Original post by 1234jan27
Hi! Is anyone else comparing Volpone & Blake?? I'm quite stuck here I know its close to the exam but anyone who can briefly share ideas would be great! Or anyone doing Blake, can you share anything about the presentation of women??
Good luck guys!!

Women in volpone are kind of fickle, there's lady would be who tries to mimic a courtesan but makes a fool of herself and makes herself seem like a common prostitute then celia who is innocent to a fault and seeks help from god. You can compare that to Blake who has outrageous religious views with his swedenborgist ideals and its evident from poems like the garden of love he views churches as oppressive. The motherly figure in the little black boy perhaps can be seen as loving trying to support her son, make hm understand? Blake likes to be outright in love as well very sexual etc which links in with women (look at the sick rose)

i hope this helps a bit :-)
Reply 202
Original post by liabhimani
Do you want some critics? send me your email :smile: and I just panic in the exam and I've got to the point where I wanna give up/don't care and my exams haven't even started!!! argh!

[email protected] - I'm so nervous for this exam! And I've got maths in the morning which isn't helping much either :-( I'd appreciate anything you're willing to hit me with!!!
Original post by simstaaar
[email protected] - I'm so nervous for this exam! And I've got maths in the morning which isn't helping much either :-( I'd appreciate anything you're willing to hit me with!!!

done!! I admire you for taking maths...
Does anyone want a The Rivals study pack I bought a few weeks ago? I could email it around to you guys later on tonight. It's been so helpful to me in looking at the major themes and studying the context and characters. If you're doing TR/WOB, it has a lot of points for you to compare with.
Reply 205
Original post by liabhimani
done!! I admire you for taking maths...

I actually find it easier than English which says a lot cause I find maths pretty hard too :confused::rolleyes::frown:
Reply 206
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Does anyone want a The Rivals study pack I bought a few weeks ago? I could email it around to you guys later on tonight. It's been so helpful to me in looking at the major themes and studying the context and characters. If you're doing TR/WOB, it has a lot of points for you to compare with.

Oh wow, that'd be awesome of you if possible, thank you! My e-mail is [email protected] (don't ask ahahah I was 10). I have so much more on the WOB than the Rivals, so it'd be really helpful (if you need anything too, just lemme know.)
Original post by sara :D
Oh wow, that'd be awesome of you if possible, thank you! My e-mail is [email protected] (don't ask ahahah I was 10). I have so much more on the WOB than the Rivals, so it'd be really helpful (if you need anything too, just lemme know.)

Sent!
I know how hard it is to get resources for The Rivals. The school literally had nothing for it since it's rarely ever talked about. Hope it helps!
Sent!
I know how hard it is to get resources for The Rivals. The school literally had nothing for it since it's rarely ever talked about. Hope it helps!

I've had this problem too!! Is there any chance you could email it to me aswell? Mine's [email protected]
Original post by butterflylights
I've had this problem too!! Is there any chance you could email it to me aswell? Mine's [email protected]

Sent :smile:
Reply 210

can you please please send it to me too? [email protected]

thank you so much!!:smile:))
Reply 211
Can anyone help me with the narrative structure and its effects WOB/The Rivals people? please

Ahhh thank you so much!
Reply 213
Original post by Pavzky
We've never really gone into the structural/technical aspects of the texts in class. It is sorta worrying but it's too late for it now :tongue:. May just bring in a line or two during my essay. Main points of comparison has just been themes/characters.

Hahah,very worrying indeed.Whats worse is that we haven't really gone much into critical comments and I'm not even sure what to think of it.I've been looking through this thread and the majority of the people have some sort of critical comments,so not really sure how to feel.At the end of the day,we are doing the same exam,so wouldn't it be marked on the same basis? Sorry if I'm not making any sense.I think I'm just a little confused,because in class we did a really surface revision on the basic elements,but nothing more.I mean I've learnt a total of about 8 quotes for WoB and they aren't lengthy apart from a few.But with the Rivals I've only managed like maybe 5 haha.But yeah,what quotes have you chosen?
Oh and what do you think I should do in regards to the critical comments? Oh and sorry if this is lenthy
Reply 214
Does anyone have any language points for The Rivals? Dreading this exam!!!
Reply 215
i hate the rivals and william blake I have never read anything so boring in my life!!!

What do people think are gonna come up for the comparisons? I'm thinking (specifically for rivals/blake) Power ... Love ... Appearence/Realities ... Parents/Children
Original post by TillyMc
Does anyone have any language points for The Rivals? Dreading this exam!!!

You could comment on the hyperbolic tone of Faulkland and how this conveys his overly sentimental nature. Then there's the obvious malapropisms of Mrs.Malaprop which is sure to get you language credit and allows for easy comments on comedy. Whilst Captain Absolute and his father are discussing marriage in Act 2, Scene 1 they use language to do with transaction like "pledge", "forclose", "exchange". This language of, uh, business I suppose can be used to link to context with the nature of arranged marriages, dowries, etc. of the time and how marriage was very much a business as opposed to love. That's all I can really think of at the moment ): Hope I helped a bit, I'm dreading this exam as well!
Reply 217
Original post by Personification
You could comment on the hyperbolic tone of Faulkland and how this conveys his overly sentimental nature. Then there's the obvious malapropisms of Mrs.Malaprop which is sure to get you language credit and allows for easy comments on comedy. Whilst Captain Absolute and his father are discussing marriage in Act 2, Scene 1 they use language to do with transaction like "pledge", "forclose", "exchange". This language of, uh, business I suppose can be used to link to context with the nature of arranged marriages, dowries, etc. of the time and how marriage was very much a business as opposed to love. That's all I can really think of at the moment ): Hope I helped a bit, I'm dreading this exam as well!

Thanks so much!
Just interested to know, roughly how many quotes has everyone learnt for each text?
Reply 219
Original post by cmargerison
Haha same! I reckon it will be love, setting/conflict or communication. :-P It covers SO many themes! I think ultimately we're quite lucky because it's so broad since then we can apply so much to a more narrow question and we can probably twist the question too. :smile:

'The Chimney Sweeper' (Innocence) because of the persona's mother dying and his dad selling him (loss), also the idea of life after death is explored with regard to the 'if all do their duty, the need not fear harm' and suffering in life to approacha happy after-life; it's a new beginning and held a lot of value in the immaterial world.
'The Little Black Boy' - again an idea of a positive after-life (whereas Webster presents death as inevitable and hellish) the 'golden tent' and God. TLBB must suffer to have a good after-life too 'bear the beams of love'.
'The Fly' - a 'thoughtless hand' kills the fly; presents an idea of vulnerability surrounding life and death, blurs the line between the two.
'London' - links to the Plagues and the fact that the monarchy and society see death as flippant 'the hapless Soldiers sigh / Runs in blood down Palace walls' (the Soldier's protests cannot be heard; they feel their fighting is pointless - 'sigh' - and multiple die due to plural), 'blights the plagues the Marriage hearse' - oxymoron, yay! The whole poem has very a very pejorative tone and criticises society's view of death.

Ah thank you that's really helpful, have you been given any exam questions focused on death?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending