The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Plate tectonics - I feel ok on
World cities - alright, easier to blag on some places
Weather - I will end up bull****ting my way through :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whose textbooks is everyone using? The author?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone please explain the difference between a hot spring and a geyser? :smile: Thank you!
Original post by flower124
Can anyone please explain the difference between a hot spring and a geyser? :smile: Thank you!

I think a geyser is when there is more pressure, so it has to explode out, whereas at a hot spring it just bubbles out?

Or better still could someone PLEASE explain the formation (or whatever we need to know) of minor extrusive activity?! please!!!
Reply 1745

OK, so first thing you have to know is that in the formation of both Geysers and Hot Springs, the water heated by being close to the magma rises to the surface and dissolves silica on the way up.

The key difference is that Geysers occur then these pipes are constricted and twisted allowing pressure to build up, meaning steam erupts at the surface explosively.

Hot springs do not have these constrictions, so the pressure does not build and the water just seeps out at the surface.

Hope this helps!
I got a total of166 UMS for GEOG1 and GEOG2 last year, does anyone know how many UMS / raw marks I need roughly in Geog 3 to get an A?
Reply 1747
Original post by alicejackson95
I got a total of166 UMS for GEOG1 and GEOG2 last year, does anyone know how many UMS / raw marks I need roughly in Geog 3 to get an A?

you need 154 ums in unit 3 and 4A/B combined
Reply 1748
Assess the impact on human activity of the weather associated with the varying air masses affecting the British Isles someone help me with this as a 40marker?
I can't remember anything, what the **** is going on :frown:?
Reply 1750
Original post by liabhimani
Or better still could someone PLEASE explain the formation (or whatever we need to know) of minor extrusive activity?! please!!!

My reply to flower briefly went over this, very basically:

-Water heated
-Water rises through Ground
-Dissolves silica (rock) as it goes
-depending on whether the pipes formed as silica dissolved are constricted or not affects whether the feature is a geyser or a hot spring. :smile:
Original post by MrProff
OK, so first thing you have to know is that in the formation of both Geysers and Hot Springs, the water heated by being close to the magma rises to the surface and dissolves silica on the way up.

The key difference is that Geysers occur then these pipes are constricted and twisted allowing pressure to build up, meaning steam erupts at the surface explosively.

Hot springs do not have these constrictions, so the pressure does not build and the water just seeps out at the surface.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! All the other explanations I'd found online were mega complicated! :smile:
Reply 1752
Thank you so much! All the other explanations I'd found online were mega complicated! :smile:

You're welcome!
Original post by Stewarty1994
We're using Wal-Mart which is in the CGP Revision guide. 3 or 4 lines of basic info. Headquarters in USA, manufacturing of clothes in India, electronics in China. Wal-Mart bought Seiyu in Japan, ASDA in UK and Bompreco in Brazil, so it's a TNC.
Then impacts in USA and host countries

Its a good case study for everything rolled into one, aslo check out the marsk scheme for Jun 12 it has the spatial organisation of Tesco on it :smile:
Original post by Ellie_May :)
Worried I wont write enough for the essay. I tend to only write about 2 and a half pages but all the good answers I have read are a good 4 pages long. I will certainly be pushed for time!

Its quality over quantity by faaar and if your talking 4 pages of exam booklet they're so much smaller than normal lined paper (they're narrower and wider ruled) so 4 in that is probably 2 and half paged of small-normal sized writing on normal paper.

I only write around 2 and a half- 3 sides ~ (maybe a little more depending on the essay) and that's enough to get good marks. As long as you put all your points in and the're good it really doesn't matter how long it is. :smile:
any predictions for world cities 25 mark question?
PLEASE GOD not sustainability. can't even be bothered to read it, it's so dull.
Practice questions on here anyone? Answer one or two or whatever the write a few new questions. Other people can suggest improvements to your answer etc.

Plate tectonics Q: Describe the different plate boundaries and their associated landforms

Weather and climate: Explain the effects of global warming

Globalization: Describe and explain the growth the BRICS in the 21st century

World cities: Explain why urbanization is occurring in developing nations. Outline associated problems.
Original post by ben10101
Exactly the same feeling here, does anyone know the rough grade boundaries for what it will take to get an A in unit 3?

Jan 13 - 56/90 63% Raw
Jun 12 - 61/90 68%
Jan 12 - 54/90 60%
Jun 11 - 58/90 65%
Jan 11 - 56/90 63%
Jun 10 - 59/90 66%

Average for an A has been 58/90 64% Raw

Original post by djfls
hi guys i was just wondering as I've lost my results sheet from last year so can't work out what raw/ums marks i got if anyone could help!! I got a mid B last year (I think it was around the 150 mark??) Does anyone know what I'd need to get an A/B this year?! thanks :smile:

320 for an A, so you need around 170 (mid A). 280 for a B, so around 130 (mid C)
Original post by MrProff
My reply to flower briefly went over this, very basically:

-Water heated
-Water rises through Ground
-Dissolves silica (rock) as it goes
-depending on whether the pipes formed as silica dissolved are constricted or not affects whether the feature is a geyser or a hot spring. :smile:

ahh yes read both thank you so much! I agree it's really complicated online!!

Thanks!
Reply 1759
Does anyone know the structured questions for plate tectonics and weather from Jan 2013??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest