The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I utterly despise this subject - doing Shakespeare's "The Tempest" for part A and The Wife of Bath (most boring, stupid piece of garbage I have ever had the misfortune to read) and 'Tis Pity for part B.

Theme wise, I'm guessing common themes in The Wife of Bath and Tis Pity would be stuff like love, lust, dominance, jealousy, possession and a contrast of patriarchy/femininity? Kinda screwed for the AO2 aspect, I really can't think of much for structure! Quotes are also really hard to learn ._.
Reply 221
Original post by Sannn
I utterly despise this subject - doing Shakespeare's "The Tempest" for part A and The Wife of Bath (most boring, stupid piece of garbage I have ever had the misfortune to read) and 'Tis Pity for part B.

Theme wise, I'm guessing common themes in The Wife of Bath and Tis Pity would be stuff like love, lust, dominance, jealousy, possession and a contrast of patriarchy/femininity? Kinda screwed for the AO2 aspect, I really can't think of much for structure! Quotes are also really hard to learn ._.

could not have put it any better, I absolutely despise that text :angry:
Reply 222
Anyone doing the tempest want to share some good AO2 points?? Seeing as that's the dominant AO for the Shakespeare section and I find it's the hardest to collate notes on!! I've got a few points I could share maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohmygosh
could not have put it any better, I absolutely despise that text :angry:

Aw, no, guys, don't you find it hilarious? With her bele chose and her ridiculous arguments and the phallic candle in the queynte lantern and the 'dude you killed me... give me a kiss' *punch* 'now wol I die'? And the fact that nobody can agree about whether it's feminist or totally antifeminist... no?
Reply 224
Original post by cornflaked
Aw, no, guys, don't you find it hilarious? With her bele chose and her ridiculous arguments and the phallic candle in the queynte lantern and the 'dude you killed me... give me a kiss' *punch* 'now wol I die'? And the fact that nobody can agree about whether it's feminist or totally antifeminist... no?

no.
Reply 225
Original post by cornflaked
aw, no, guys, don't you find it hilarious? With her bele chose and her ridiculous arguments and the phallic candle in the queynte lantern and the 'dude you killed me... Give me a kiss' *punch* 'now wol i die'? And the fact that nobody can agree about whether it's feminist or totally antifeminist... No?

not at all, worst thing i've ever studied
Reply 226
Can someone help me with how the AO's are weighted for each section? I seem to have lost my sheet showing which AO's are the most significant D:
Original post by ImaNeek
Hahah,very worrying indeed.Whats worse is that we haven't really gone much into critical comments and I'm not even sure what to think of it.I've been looking through this thread and the majority of the people have some sort of critical comments,so not really sure how to feel.At the end of the day,we are doing the same exam,so wouldn't it be marked on the same basis? Sorry if I'm not making any sense.I think I'm just a little confused,because in class we did a really surface revision on the basic elements,but nothing more.I mean I've learnt a total of about 8 quotes for WoB and they aren't lengthy apart from a few.But with the Rivals I've only managed like maybe 5 haha.But yeah,what quotes have you chosen?
Oh and what do you think I should do in regards to the critical comments? Oh and sorry if this is lenthy

For critical comments just read reviews/lectures/presentations on the texts and literally pick out a couple of lines then just write about it in relation to the texts :tongue:. Plus, I'm sure AO3 is either a critical reading or critics' comments? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). The point is, if you have a critical reading that's detailed enough, you don't need critics' comments.

Ha yeah they are all marked equally xD. But English is subjective so the examiners will do it to the best of their ability - ultimately English is about how well you can argue and you'll be marked on that.

For quotes, I've got 20 for each text. I'm not going to use all of them obviously - in practice essays I've only used between 5 - 8 quotes for the entire essay, covering both texts (plus a couple of critics' comments).

WoB:

- pecuniary/monetary terms ('dettour... and thral', 'make his paiement')
- general metaphors (when she compares white bread to barley bread and gold vessels to wooden ones)
- her nitpicking of the Bible
- 'housbondes at chirche door I hadde five' - contextual info
- use of terms for genitalia - 'bele chose', 'queynte'

Rivals:

- Faulkland's and Lydia's sensibility
- Bob Acres' 'sentimental swearing'
- malapropisms
- various ones from Preface and Epilogue (re. roles of comedy)
Reply 228

Hahah,you guys are hilarious.I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating when you say that.'The trmpest' is not bad at all and neither is 'The Wife of Bath'.

Well, I was unfortunate enough to do Yeats and Dalloway last year so maybe I'm just enjoying Chaucer by contrast, and relief...
Reply 230
Original post by Pavzky
For critical comments just read reviews/lectures/presentations on the texts and literally pick out a couple of lines then just write about it in relation to the texts :tongue:. Plus, I'm sure AO3 is either a critical reading or critics' comments? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). The point is, if you have a critical reading that's detailed enough, you don't need critics' comments.

Ha yeah they are all marked equally xD. But English is subjective so the examiners will do it to the best of their ability -

Spoiler

English is about how well you can argue and you'll be marked on that.

For quotes, I've got 20 for each text. I'm not going to use all of them obviously - in practice essays I've only used between 5 - 8 quotes for the entire essay, covering both texts (plus a couple of critics' comments).

WoB:

- pecuniary/monetary terms ('dettour... and thral', 'make his paiement')
- general metaphors (when she compares white bread to barley bread and gold vessels to wooden ones)
- her nitpicking of the Bible
- 'housbondes at chirche door I hadde five' - contextual info
- use of terms for genitalia - 'bele chose', 'queynte'

Rivals:

- Faulkland's and Lydia's sensibility
- Bob Acres' 'sentimental swearing'
- malapropisms
- various ones from Preface and Epilogue (re. roles of comedy)

Ahh,thanks a ton for this.You're ever so helpful :bigsmile::bigsmile:
Reply 231
Have a sheet full of A03 - critical comments on The Wife of Bath and Tis Pity.
Reply 232
Original post by sara :D
Can someone help me with how the AO's are weighted for each section? I seem to have lost my sheet showing which AO's are the most significant D:

For the comparitve texts: AO3=10 AO4=10 AO1=5 AO2=5

Shakespeare: AO1=5 AO2=10 AO3=10 AO4=5

Just remember for the comparisons context is dominant. For Shakespeare AO2 is dominant. I find AO2 the hardest to revise though so a bit stuck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Hello,

Has anyone got any advice on how to structure both essays..? I'm struggling to plan this:

By exploring the dramatic presentation of Octavius in 'Antony and Cleopatra', evaluate the view that he is 'too calculating to be seen either as hero or villain'.

:smile:
Original post by ImaNeek
Ahh,thanks a ton for this.You're ever so helpful :bigsmile::bigsmile:

No worries! :smile:
It helps me to remember stuff too :colondollar:
Hey guys,
I'm doing this exam on Thursday too. I'm studying The Wife of Bath which, unlike a few other posters, I like the best and find really interesting, 'Tis Pity She's A Whore and, for the Shakespeare King Lear.
I've decided that the themes likely to come up are:
-Inequality between men and women
- Religion
- Power/Authority
- Desire
- Debate
- Love
- Marriage
and possibly The quest for knowledge.
The part I find the hardest on the comparison is trying to remember to include The Wyf's Tale - always forget it!
On Shakespeare, I find AO2 quite hard as my teacher has been beating it into us but when I looked at the exemplar candidate answers there didn't seem to be much AO2 there :/
Anyway, good luck for Thursday everyone!

p.s. we can always make up critics right? :P
Reply 236
Original post by 1234jan27
For the comparitve texts: AO3=10 AO4=10 AO1=5 AO2=5

Shakespeare: AO1=5 AO2=10 AO3=10 AO4=5

Just remember for the comparisons context is dominant. For Shakespeare AO2 is dominant. I find AO2 the hardest to revise though so a bit stuck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thanks! Yeh AO2 is definitely quite tricky, not so much language, but form/structure!
Reply 237
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Anyone doing marvell and volpone? Got any good links between them? :smile: thnx

Is this the same Beth who's in Glen's lit class at greenhead college?
Reply 238
I know AO3 is context but what is AO2?
I know AO3 is context but what is AO2?

AO1 is how well written the essay is
AO2 is analysis of the text
AO3 is critical views
AO4 is context

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending