The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200

Is this website normally quite good at predicting because it's pretty much similar to what I was expecting with my selective revision.
Original post by JimmyRustler
I always tackle a revelation question with reference to some of the language topics, as special revelation is obviously scriptural and with propositional and non-propositional there is the whole issue of taking it literally or symbolically, and then you can bring in the Verification principle against God revealing himself, and Wittgenstein FOR God revealing himself within a group of those who take part in the language game of faith, Aquinas argued that propositional revelation requires a degree of faith. Anyways, anyone have a plan for a miracles question centered upon God's nature/ Wiles, and one for Attributes, preferably on omniscience/ Boethius/ Omnipotence.

Does anyone think it would be safe/wise to leave out experience and attributes?

Does anyone think it would be safe/wise to leave out experience and attributes?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I struggle with both of these topics so even if they were to come up I don't think I could answer a question well on them, i'm just going to focus on the other topics.
Reply 202
Original post by Coutinhohohohoho
What are the criticisms of Wiles' view on miracles?

A one-off/indirect cause from God is not compatible with the biblical view of miracles or petitionary prayer; and it relies upon the idea that human rationality/morality can question God (which in turn could threaten His omnipotence because He would be subject to a moral law).
Reply 203
Original post by Coutinhohohohoho
What are the criticisms of Wiles' view on miracles?

As Polkinghorne points out, it doesn't fit with the Christian experience of God.
Its not very Christian and clashed with biblical accounts of God acting in the world (e.g. helping the Israelites)
His idea of the universe being "one creative acts" is incredibly philosophically weak
His idea of God not intervening due to the seemingly arbitrary patterns of miracles relies on the assumption that God is subject to human reason (Link to Nat of God)

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 204
Original post by burbe
Is this website normally quite good at predicting because it's pretty much similar to what I was expecting with my selective revision.

I know that Kantian ethics and the ontological argument came up in the AS papers, which were two of his "hottest tips". Utilitarianism also came up, but he didn't especially predict it. I'm not sure what else was on the exam.

I think I would trust him though - he seems to be a very good and experienced teacher/examiner. I have also heard positive things about him from my teacher, who has written most of the philosophy section of the site.
he got last years A2 predictions pretty badly wrong
In ethics I'm skipping revising meta ethics, environmental and business ethics. Do you guys think this is a good idea, as I need to cut down on my revision
Reply 207
I have 81/100, 100/100 and 93/100 which adds up to 274. Do I really only need 46 for an A? It doesn't seem like enough to me..?

A lot of people seem to be leaving out Environment and Business for A2 ethics, which I am too but my teacher reckoned it might be quite likely to come up as it's a newish topic and isn't always done that well. As for sexual ethics, it has been asked quite a lot so is perhaps unlikely. If it does come up, they seem to have a pattern either not specifying anything, ie 'evaluate ethical approaches to issues surrounding sex' and then moving on to specify either the ethical theory or the sexual issue. They haven't specified both bits for ages and Kant and contraception don't seem to have come up yet so we thought a question along the lines of 'Evaluate a Kantian approach to the issues surrounding contraception' might be quite likely. I have a plan of this essay that I could post if it would help?

Thinking about the other questions, conscience has come up a few times recently so perhaps unlikely but maybe a question linking to modern day views of Virtue ethics?

How is everyone planning to spend the last two days before the exam? I haven't finished going over freewill and determinism yet so I'm kind of worried about that and I also have my literature exam on the same day to revise for. D:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 208
Original post by lmacknold20
In ethics I'm skipping revising meta ethics, environmental and business ethics. Do you guys think this is a good idea, as I need to cut down on my revision

It might be risky to leave out both because they could ask an environment question, a business question, and then a meta question. I'd suggest learning meta because even though it's not that interesting, it's not too difficult. It's just a matter of getting your head round all the names really. I can post some notes covering the basics of each section of meta if you'd like? :smile:
My ideal 4 questions would be:

(Philosophy)
- Critically assess Hume's case against miracles.
- To what extent is verification and falsification successful?

(Ethics)
- Evaluate the claim that all ethical language is cognitive.
- Critically assess the idea that all our actions are free.
I Have a few questions, if someone could help me that would be great. I have revised meta ethics, conscience, free will and determinism, business and sexual ethics. So I have not revised virtue and environment in great detail, can someone confirm that I will definitely have at least two questions to choose from? Also are we allowed/ is it advantageous/ is it a waste of time to link in different topics? For example I find that there is a nice line between conscience and free will, so could I refer to the other if its relevant?
One last question, how many different scholars/ philosophers would you refer to or is best to refer to? For example, conscience there's about 7 philosophers mentioned, would the best thing be to mention all of them if they're relevant or select maybe 2 or 3. If someone could help me out, that'd be brilliant.
Reply 211
Original post by Username_valid
I Have a few questions, if someone could help me that would be great. I have revised meta ethics, conscience, free will and determinism, business and sexual ethics. So I have not revised virtue and environment in great detail, can someone confirm that I will definitely have at least two questions to choose from? Also are we allowed/ is it advantageous/ is it a waste of time to link in different topics? For example I find that there is a nice line between conscience and free will, so could I refer to the other if its relevant?
One last question, how many different scholars/ philosophers would you refer to or is best to refer to? For example, conscience there's about 7 philosophers mentioned, would the best thing be to mention all of them if they're relevant or select maybe 2 or 3. If someone could help me out, that'd be brilliant.

You have four questions in the exam and can choose to answer whichever two you want. Making links is not necessary to get a good grade, most people don't do it I don't think. However, if you happen to see a link that you can easily make while writing, you may as well make it because as long as it's correct and is relevant, you may get some credit for it. For example, Fromm's 'Authoritarian conscience' can be linked in with Skinner's behaviourism.

It depends how much detail you use the philosophers in really. Try not to be too superficial but don't waste time talking about all of them in detail. Sometimes you can just briefly support an argument with a philosopher, for example in freewill and determinism it might be nice to mention Voltaire's quote that 'pear trees cannot bear bananas' in support of the fact we are determined but not really go into it in much detail.

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LauraD_95
It might be risky to leave out both because they could ask an environment question, a business question, and then a meta question. I'd suggest learning meta because even though it's not that interesting, it's not too difficult. It's just a matter of getting your head round all the names really. I can post some notes covering the basics of each section of meta if you'd like? :smile:

Hi would you be able to post the essay plan, as it would be really helpful. Thanks

Thanks could you post the meta ethics notes and essay plan is well. :biggrin:
I was wondering if you had any other plans is well if you wouldn't mind posting. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
You have four questions in the exam and can choose to answer whichever two you want. Making links is not necessary to get a good grade, most people don't do it I don't think. However, if you happen to see a link that you can easily make while writing, you may as well make it because as long as it's correct and is relevant, you may get some credit for it. For example, Fromm's 'Authoritarian conscience' can be linked in with Skinner's behaviourism.

It depends how much detail you use the philosophers in really. Try not to be too superficial but don't waste time talking about all of them in detail. Sometimes you can just briefly support an argument with a philosopher, for example in freewill and determinism it might be nice to mention Voltaire's quote that 'pear trees cannot bear bananas' in support of the fact we are determined but not really go into it in much detail.

Hope this helps. :smile:

That helps, thank you!
This might sound stupid and I'm sorry for that but I was just wondering if you guys are going to plan in the exam? My teacher recommends it and I can see why. It would make sense to me to plan on the answer paper and then scribble it out after you've answered the question so it doesn't get marked? does that sound right?
image.jpg

Hey guys, could I get some help on how to improve on the essay plan, I feel that it's basic.
Does anyone have any tips on linking to the question
Original post by VaticanCameos
This might sound stupid and I'm sorry for that but I was just wondering if you guys are going to plan in the exam? My teacher recommends it and I can see why. It would make sense to me to plan on the answer paper and then scribble it out after you've answered the question so it doesn't get marked? does that sound right?

It doesn't get marked if you put a cross through it, but if you couldn't finish add some notes to your plan, so that the examiner knows that you were going to talk about it
so who else has got the worst day of their life thursday, Philosophy Ethics and English Literature?????
I feel so unprepared for both! stressing out!!
Plan on the question paper is my advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending