The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by millie-rose
Hey I've just been told that we can use bulletpoints for question C questions and still attain full marks? Is this true?

Our teacher told us that you can use bullet points and you should do 5.

- The Actus Reus of the crime
- Apply the Actus Reus to the statements
- The Mens Rea of the crime
- Apply Mens Rea to the statement
- Say what the person is guilty of/Say whether the statement is valid or not.

I'm not sure how it would work for insanity/automatism but you don't have to use cases.
Original post by amyhelen
Is theft going to come up? Or is it going to be robbery or burglary???!!

I think you should revise all, remember for both robbery and burglary all 5 elements of theft need to be established.
Breaking them down its
Robbery- Theft With Force
Burglary- Theft With Trespass

So you'll need to talk about theft things such as 'dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive the other of it.'
Does anyone have the January 2013 paper?
Original post by feelinginfinite
It could be any. If it's a Q2/Q3, there's usually a mention of all 3 of them in a scenario. If it's Q1, it may specify one (some predictions are robbery/burglary since it's been theft alone the past 2 times it's been on). Honestly, I'd learn all 3 of them if I were you :smile:

They're not the same - but they pretty much are. Necessity is defined as "taking the lesser evil" or something like that, so it has lots of overlap with by circumstance. Your order is correct too I think- duress first, then necessity. Don't treat circumstances and necessity as the same though. Say there's an overlap then give examples of how there's an overlap- e.g dudley v stephens shows necessity isn't a defence to murder (same with circumstance)

I haven't even revised voluntary manslaughter but I'll take a shot at it in case it helps you at all :tongue: I think the case you're referring to that would help is Tandy? D is a mother, thinks her daughter is having an affair with her husband so kills daughter. D is dependent on beer/wine, but she drank vodka on the day of killing...

If she drank beer/wine, she would've had a defence of DR since it caused her depression and is classed as involuntary since she's dependent on it (long term beer/wine alcoholic). However, drinking vodka was different, had a different effect (she isn't addicted to it, so isn't dependent on this), and she should've known this so was reckless in her actions, so intoxication defence wasn't allowed. She's convicted because she isn't dependent on vodka. She could've had a defence if she was drinking beer/wine on the day... Does this make sense to you? :tongue:

Edit: I should probably stop answering so many questions and go do an essay or something again... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just don't understand the general law behind it haha. But thank you :smile:

I am so stressed, got loads to go through. If I get the bare minimum I need to 72% for an A I will be very happy! What does everyone need in this exam?
Original post by danjones22
I think you should revise all, remember for both robbery and burglary all 5 elements of theft need to be established.
Breaking them down its
Robbery- Theft With Force
Burglary- Theft With Trespass

So you'll need to talk about theft things such as 'dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive the other of it.'

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't burglary traspass with an intent to commit an ulterior offence in s9(2) - theft, Gbh, criminal damage?
I.e you can still be guilty of burglary without stealing anything.
Original post by MonsterMorris
Yeah, I just don't understand the general law behind it haha. But thank you :smile:

I am so stressed, got loads to go through. If I get the bare minimum I need to 72% for an A I will be very happy! What does everyone need in this exam?

89/120 UMS I think, not sure what that equates to in raw marks

It isn't a law as such; more just needing to state that long term dependency on alcohol creates an abnormality of the mind so can depend on DR with intoxication. I don't think there's much more detail to it to be honest :smile: I need about 90ums if I didn't improve on my g151 resit. If I have, I think I'll only need about 70ums now... If I was aiming for the A* I'd need 100ums but this exam is much harder than I thought it'd be! Could go either way :smile:
Original post by JLXP
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't burglary traspass with an intent to commit an ulterior offence in s9(2) - theft, Gbh, criminal damage?
I.e you can still be guilty of burglary without stealing anything.

This is correct, burglary is defined under:
s9(1a) = enter as a trespasser with intent to steal/inflict GBH/damage
s9(1b) = enter as a trespasser, and then attempt to steal/inflict (or attempt to do) GBH

Edit: It's usual that in a scenario question you'd have to talk about both of them, just make sure you know the definition of each :smile: *just corrected an error too
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JLXP
89/120 UMS I think, not sure what that equates to in raw marks

Very similar to me, I need 86, yours is probably about 75%. I wish I had just gained a couple more marks in other exams. I got 100/120 in G151 and then did terrible on special studies because I ran out of time and got a B 58/80. :/
Very similar to me, I need 86, yours is probably about 75%. I wish I had just gained a couple more marks in other exams. I got 100/120 in G151 and then did terrible on special studies because I ran out of time and got a B 58/80. :/

I too did terrible in the special study, so I'm resitting! Hopefully ill be able to pick up more there to reduce the pressure on this exam
Reply 710

I need 83 UMS, does anyone know what this is in raw marks
Original post by ne12
I need 83 UMS, does anyone know what this is in raw marks

83 pretty much, the UMS is 120 for this exam, same as the raw marks available :smile:
Just had an economics exam today, I'm going To go over attempts, causation, duress, theft, burglary and robbery, OAP and insanity/automatism.

Reckon that's okay if I need 60/120 UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 713
for problem questions:

if for instance the question is about OAPA, but theres no evidence of GBH, we dont have to include that on the AO1 points, do we ? thats what our teacher said
Reply 714
If anyone wants a copy of the G153 paper from January 2013, here it is:

06_Jan 13_G153_QP.pdf

I haven't got a copy of the mark scheme though - sorry about that!
Hopefully this was helpful anyway :smile:
Original post by hoping
for problem questions:

if for instance the question is about OAPA, but theres no evidence of GBH, we dont have to include that on the AO1 points, do we ? thats what our teacher said

I've never seen one which doesn't include one of the sections. OCR are meant to allow us to show as much knowledge as possible in the exam, so they should include all sections (s39 assault battery + s47 ABH + s20 GBH + s18 GBH). If it did happen, I would still include all definitions to gain maximum ao1 marks.

I would go along the lines of "GBH section 20 requires the D to inflict GBH or a wound. However, since the injury was not intended to inflict GBH or a wound, and was simply a result of the battery, this would only be ABH s47 since it still inteferes with health and comfort". So I would basically still state the AO1 for GBH, but then say the person in the scenario wouldn't be guilty of that for whatever reason
Reply 716
Original post by curtisblackham
Just had an economics exam today, I'm going To go over attempts, causation, duress, theft, burglary and robbery, OAP and insanity/automatism.

Reckon that's okay if I need 60/120 UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics unit 3 ? 60 for a Grade A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
Original post by breakeven
Does anyone have the January 2013 paper?

Have a look at my previous post :smile:
Does anyone know what you'd have to write for the first half of a theft, burglary and robbery section B question? I'd know what to write if it were on theft alone but how much would you write about burglary and robbery if it's all of them?
Original post by qr95
Economics unit 3 ? 60 for a Grade A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah economics unit 3 did you do it? And yeah I'm on 260/280 UMS currently so need 60 in this paper for an A overall

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest