The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by j1i9s9s5
To be fair to you, I think you were spot on with that essay! Some good points and you are totally on the right lines, so with some sound evaluation you might still get 15+ for that.

ah like mark said no point crying over spilled milk only thing is its just infuriating :rolleyes:
oh well not the end of the world.
What did you put? (sorry lol im just eager to see how other people found it and what they put - wont make much difference but thats just me! )
Hope it went well for you!
The questions were easier than I was expecting but I still struggled with this really. Need 58 UMS for an A overall, and even that I'm not too sure about. Praying the grade boundaries will be blowing in the right direction. I struggled with 2C and the last question was just okay. Plus at the beginning, my finger started bleeding so had to go and get that fixed, haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11hokj1
For the 6 marks diagram one, I also talked about FDI leaving the country... I think that might be right because most of my friends wrote that too...but I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

6mark which involved drawing a diagram?
I wrote FDI withdrawal showing a left shift of supply.

checked tutor2u toolkit and it says that there was a tradeoff of inflation in 08 - so it probably wanted an inflation diagram and inflation explanation? Anyone else do something like that?
I lost the plot and just jumped in with FDI
Reply 763
Original post by lucybrown92
ah like mark said no point crying over spilled milk only thing is its just infuriating :rolleyes:
oh well not the end of the world.
What did you put? (sorry lol im just eager to see how other people found it and what they put - wont make much difference but thats just me! )
Hope it went well for you!

I essentially defined sustainable development and went through the 4 main Estonian goals and evaluated how economic growth will help to achieve them and how it won't. After that, I talked about development in general using Todaro's goals as a guideline and concluded that economic growth obviously isn't sufficient alone and more is needed such as education, health care, ect...
I essentially defined sustainable development and went through the 4 main Estonian goals and evaluated how economic growth will help to achieve them and how it won't. After that, I talked about development in general using Todaro's goals as a guideline and concluded that economic growth obviously isn't sufficient alone and more is needed such as education, health care, ect...

that sounds good! what did you put to explain how high growth would achieve them? I couldnt think of anything apart from leading to inflation which is self-defeating for aim 1 (coherent)

Oh and how did you define growth and development for 4marker?
Reply 765
For the diagram question the mark scheme allocates 4 out of the 6 marks for a correct diagram.

As long as you have the correct diagram there's no point worrying about the explanation!

Anyway, What do you all think the correct diagram was? You had to show inflation rising and Real GDP falling.
Original post by HJSpence
For the diagram question the mark scheme allocates 4 out of the 6 marks for a correct diagram.

As long as you have the correct diagram there's no point worrying about the explanation!

Anyway, What do you all think the correct diagram was? You had to show inflation rising and Real GDP falling.

Yes I thought it was that!
I waffled on about FDI and drew a left shift of the supply curve and then wrote about FDI withdrawal - oh the joys of jumping into a question without fully thinking about it...story of my life! :redface:
Reply 767
that sounds good! what did you put to explain how high growth would achieve them? I couldnt think of anything apart from leading to inflation which is self-defeating for aim 1 (coherent)

Oh and how did you define growth and development for 4marker?

There are a couple of little ways in which growth could. Long-run growth will give and expansion in the productive potential, increasing productivity which was a component on one of the goals. Also, GDP increased, although not for certain, could result in less relative poverty.
For the 4 marker, I defined growth (Short and long-run) then said development is broader and covers measures other than and additional to GDP growth. Also, development can't occur without growth but the reverse can happen.
Reply 768
So can we confirm, the correct diagram was in fact a leftward shirt in supply (or LRAS) making the price level rise and the real GDP to fall?
So can we confirm, the correct diagram was in fact a leftward shirt in supply (or LRAS) making the price level rise and the real GDP to fall?

I hope so because that's what I did :tongue:

I drew that but with a FDI withdrawal explanation.
How many marks for the correct diagram?
Well that was a bag of ****, but THANK **** THAT AWFUL EXAM IS OVERRRRRRRRR
Jut realised for the diagram I did a shift in lras to the right but then stupidly I also did an increase in AD!! So annoyed would I still get marks for this though ?
There are a couple of little ways in which growth could. Long-run growth will give and expansion in the productive potential, increasing productivity which was a component on one of the goals. Also, GDP increased, although not for certain, could result in less relative poverty.
For the 4 marker, I defined growth (Short and long-run) then said development is broader and covers measures other than and additional to GDP growth. Also, development can't occur without growth but the reverse can happen.

Oh that makes sense (long run) didnt even cross my mind that!
and the definitions looking back now were AS stuff didnt look at them much to be honest was more focused with essay questions. I Didnt completely know difference between growth and devlopment - put growth is measured by gdp and is numerical whearas development is how efficient and productive economy is (the potential it has)

Really wanted comptetive devaluation, innovation, flat rate tax to come up but they didnt :redface: Mind you some people must have loved this exam.
Just seen the grade boundaries of jan 13, 48 marks for an A - :eek:
Thought the questions were easy but I messed them up and made stupid mistakes, my analysis on the first 6 marker was rubbish, as was my 10 marker on international trade.
Reply 775
I drew that but with a FDI withdrawal explanation.
How many marks for the correct diagram?

At least 4, probably 5/6 though.
Messed up my timing and only wrote 2 points + 2 depends ons for the last question. I'm hoping I don't get marked down too much :frown:
How did people answer the international trade 10 marker? I spoke about how it's important and then mentioned other factors and mentioned why they may be important, not sure if that was the right way to go about it now though. Also I completely got the diagram wrong, read figure 3.1 instead for some reason, but do you still get marks for labeling the diagrams like in f582?
What did everyone say for advantages to Estonia of joining the Eurozone?

For my first I put increased trade and explained that, but didn't include any mention of AS or AD ( :frown: ) and for my second I couldn't think of anything else so just put lower prices for Estonian consumers due to transparency, which probably won't get any marks
At least 4, probably 5/6 though.

4? that seems to much - it was a 6marker surely explanation has more weighting?

Quick Reply