The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Davelittle
Q 1. Was 3,7-dimethyloct-3-ene

I put 2,6 because don't we have to use the lowest numbers. I think I forgot to write di :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 821
No just NaCl, the 2:1 ratio of NaCl to Cl2 meant you had to half the moles of NaCl (not multiply the Mr by 2).

That should come out as the same thing, as long as they didn't use half of the moles AND multiply the Mr by 2, I think.
Original post by super121
Didn't we have to work out the Mr of 2NaCl, apart from that I did the same steps

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, moles = mass/Mr... the 2NaCl is significant because you divide the number of moles of NaCl by 2 to get I mole of Chlorine :smile:
Reply 823
Original post by juniorx
might lose 1 mark for accuracy?

Why would it? They didn't specify the number of significant figures, did they? Unless the actual answer is wrong. xD
Is the possible structure of the last section of Q1? Hope I remembered it well :tongue:

Structure.jpg
Reply 825
Original post by abzy1234
Is the possible structure of the last section of Q1? Hope I remembered it well :tongue:

Structure.jpg

exactly i swear this can also be 2 ethyl 6 methyl hept 2 ene with the ethyl as that long bit at the top right?
x

I don't think you multiply it by 2, as it'll cancel down anyway, as it's a 2:1 ratio I think.

If you got the final answer, regardless, you'll pick up the mark :smile:
Original post by juniorx
exactly i swear this can also be 2 ethyl 6 methyl hept 2 ene with the ethyl as that long bit at the top right?

I'm not too sure, as the top right part can be part of the main carbon chain. It's a complicated structure, so I'm sure they will have a variety of ways of answering it :smile:
Reply 828
Original post by ActaNonVerba
no, moles = mass/Mr... the 2NaCl is significant because you divide the number of moles of NaCl by 2 to get I mole of Chlorine :smile:

I know that. I did the Mr of 2 NaCl (117 I think). (200000/117)/2 to get moles of Cl2 them multiplied that by 24.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 829
Anyone else hate that last 6 mark question on the advance notice? Thought the paper was going alright up until I got to that question, I didn't have a clue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 830
Original post by ambbs
Anyone else hate that last 6 mark question on the advance notice? Thought the paper was going alright up until I got to that question, I didn't have a clue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quite liked it, actually. xD My main problem was trying not to copy the article...
Original post by juniorx
if this is wrong can someone tell me why it is wrong?

Well the longest carbon chain was 8, the double bond was between the third and the 4th carbon, there were methyl groups on the 3rd and 7th Carbon.

Therefore 3,7-dimethyloct-3-ene
I know that. I did the Mr of 2 NaCl (117 I think). (200000/117)/2 to get moles of Cl2 them multiplied that by 24.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get 41025 or around that?

You didn't need to multiply the Mr of NaCl by 2!
Original post by ambbs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was a nice 6-marker. The answers are mainly on the bottom right paragraph of page 3, with some of the equations already there. I talked about how N2O can be broken down in the atmosphere by high frequency/energy UV radiation, giving the N2O -> N2 + O equation. Plus N2O itself can react with existing oxygen radicals in the atmosphere, so that may break it down also...

I'm sure you would've picked up marks :smile:
Reply 834
Did you get 41025 or around that?

You didn't need to multiply the Mr of NaCl by 2!

No, I got half of that so will probs just lose a mark as they have efc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 835
what was the answer for the ppm to % questionhoiw many times larger was it???I got 7.8i think its wrong
Reply 836
Original post by Jooost
what was the answer for the ppm to % questionhoiw many times larger was it???I got 7.8i think its wrong

780 000 000 or something along those lines

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well the longest carbon chain was 8, the double bond was between the third and the 4th carbon, there were methyl groups on the 3rd and 7th Carbon.

Therefore 3,7-dimethyloct-3-ene

I believe if you draw out 2,6- dimethyloct-5-ene it's exactly the same- are there any specific naming rules for this, or are they both allowed? How many marks was it, in case they aren't :colone:
Original post by ambbs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't like it either!! I didn't see the N2O equations on the 2nd page.... D:
Reply 839
Original post by King Hotpie
I believe if you draw out 2,6- dimethyloct-5-ene it's exactly the same- are there any specific naming rules for this, or are they both allowed? How many marks was it, in case they aren't :colone:

I think you had to use the lowest numbers. (They may accept both though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending