The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyLynch100
so who else has got the worst day of their life thursday, Philosophy Ethics and English Literature?????
I feel so unprepared for both! stressing out!!

I feel the same way and I need to get pretty decent grades on both! :frown:
Reply 221
Original post by VaticanCameos
This might sound stupid and I'm sorry for that but I was just wondering if you guys are going to plan in the exam? My teacher recommends it and I can see why.

I am so tempted not to plan. (I mean, I will, because otherwise my essays would be a complete shambles. I'm just so conscious of the time it takes.) I just tried to do a timed essay and I couldn't finish it, and what I did write wasn't very good. I'm really panicking now - I don't know what to do anymore. I know all the stuff, I just can never seem to write the essays well. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
so who else has got the worst day of their life thursday, Philosophy Ethics and English Literature?????

Yep. I'm freaking out so much. I don't feel like I can write essays well for P&E and although I'm fine on english I need to get an A in both subjects and I had to retake my AS so I don't even know what i got on that. I don't know what to do!!!
They are predicting - ‘The biblical concept of miracles leads to belief in a God who cares more for some than for others.'

But what is the biblical concept of miracles?
Confused :frown:
Reply 224

Me!!! Plus geography the next day so no rest for the humanities student!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophieashley
They are predicting - ‘The biblical concept of miracles leads to belief in a God who cares more for some than for others.'

I'm not sure but I think it's talking about aqua as, Swinburne and Hollands view. Am I correct in saying this
Reply 226

Is it not talking about the debate of whether god is an arbitrary and partisan god? And examples are things like Lourdes and miracles that happen there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 227
What do we think might come up for philosophy and ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GLOB
Is it not talking about the debate of whether god is an arbitrary and partisan god? And examples are things like Lourdes and miracles that happen there

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I would just use examples of miracles from the Bible and bring in Wiles?
Do i mention that miracles might not actually occur and talk about Hume?

I'd love a question on miracles... just not this one :P
Original post by GLOB
For the philosophy side do you think it would be okay if i learnt just miracles and life and death? since miracles is bound to come up and for the rest there's an equal chance of them coming up

I definitely wouldnt just learn those two, you want to try and at least learn 3!

We only really looked at Joshua 10 in class, where hailstones rain down from the sky and the sun stands still for Joshua as he fights the Gibeonites, and it is said that "the Lord listened to a man."

Other than that I'm guessing you could bring in God giving Hannah a son, God extending Hezekiah's life, the whole Virgin Mary thing and other stuff like that?

So I would just use examples of miracles from the Bible and bring in Wiles?
Do i mention that miracles might not actually occur and talk about Hume?

I'd love a question on miracles... just not this one :P

I know what you mean, this question is a bit tricky. Wiles would be my main person, but then when I talk about Swinburne etc. I'd be tempted to go too far into discussing omnibenevolence... I'd find this question a little tricky in terms of staying on-task I think!

And I definitely think you could use Hume, just by arguing that God doesn't care for one person more than another through miracles because miracles don't exist... but like I said I'd have to be careful in not rambling on about Hume v. Swinburne too much!

My ideal miracles question would be something like 'Critically assess Wiles's argument against miracles.'
Original post by JakeAReynolds

I know what you mean, this question is a bit tricky. Wiles would be my main person, but then when I talk about Swinburne etc. I'd be tempted to go too far into discussing omnibenevolence... I'd find this question a little tricky in terms of staying on-task I think!

And I definitely think you could use Hume, just by arguing that God doesn't care for one person more than another through miracles because miracles don't exist... but like I said I'd have to be careful in not rambling on about Hume v. Swinburne too much!

My ideal miracles question would be something like 'Critically assess Wiles's argument against miracles.'

Awwwh thankyou!!! :biggrin:
Reply 232

Me :frown: Only need a D in Philosophy to get an A, so I've hardly spent anytime on it! Feel so anxious!
Reply 233

Me! It's horrific. It happened last year and I was crying by the end of it haha. You can't really be under prepared for English really. Context is pretty much common sense as is modern reader/different readers. The unseen you can't really prepare for -- just use all the knowledge you've ever had of English ever. The rest you could theoretically make up on the day because you have the books (that's obviously a bad idea but it wouldn't the end of the world). Philosophy and ethics I think you'll always feel under prepared for due to the nature of the subject, there's always something you can add to your knowledge. :smile:
Reply 234
Original post by lmacknold20
Thanks could you post the meta ethics notes and essay plan is well. :biggrin:
I was wondering if you had any other plans is well if you wouldn't mind posting. Thanks

Hi, here is a plan to the question: To what extent is Kantian ethics a reliable approach to issues surrounding contraception.

Introduction
Immanuel Kant was a rationalist and based his theory of ethics upon reason and logic, free from the influence of emotion. He also preferred to look at the morality of intentions rather than outcomes meaning Kantian ethics are deontological. Kantian ethics offer help when contemplating moral issues surrounding things such as contraception if the form of Kant’s theories of duty and goodwill, and his three formulations of the categorical imperative.

Paragraph one
-Explain the hypothetical and categorical imperatives and the idea of duty, reason and goodwill.
-Then bring in how in the view of Kantian ethics it is our duty to reproduce - say what this means for contraception.
-Criticise with the idea of conflicting duties. Bring in the fact that Kant says to make a 'lying promise' wrong and then talk about using contraception if a person has an STD.

Paragraph two
-Talk about the three formulations of the categorical imperative, mostly the concept of universalisability in this paragraph.
-You can't universalise contraception so it is wrong?
-BUT you could create maxim so it can be used by people with STDs? *strength
-But then people could create maxims for anything?

Paragraph three
-Talk about the second formulation - means as end.
-Mention the fact that Kant said marriage is more about the union of two people rather than procreation.

Conclusion
In conclusion, although there are obvious issues with the problem of conflicting duties, in general Kantian ethics seem to be a reliable way to tackle the issues surrounding contraception as the flexible maxims mean that different solutions can be found to suit everyone and the idea of treating people as ends in themselves could lead to a more equal society. Therefore, it seems fair to say that Kantian ethics are a reliable approach to take when considering the issues surrounding contraception.

This is pretty much what I would do, remember to constantly evaluate your points and link back to the question and perhaps you could find some news stories/examples to put in. I don't have any other plans like this right now but if I do any tonight I can post them. If you pm me your email I can send you my meta notes, I don't want to clog up this thread any more. Sorry it's such a long post!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 235
Original post by LauraD_95

Hi, here is a plan to the question: To what extent is Kantian ethics a reliable approach to issues surrounding contraception.

Introduction
Immanuel Kant was a rationalist and based his theory of ethics upon reason and logic, free from the influence of emotion. He also preferred to look at the morality of intentions rather than outcomes meaning Kantian ethics are deontological. Kantian ethics offer help when contemplating moral issues surrounding things such as contraception if the form of Kant’s theories of duty and goodwill, and his three formulations of the categorical imperative.

Paragraph one
-Explain the hypothetical and categorical imperatives and the idea of duty, reason and goodwill.
-Then bring in how in the view of Kantian ethics it is our duty to reproduce - say what this means for contraception.
-Criticise with the idea of conflicting duties. Bring in the fact that Kant says to make a 'lying promise' wrong and then talk about using contraception if a person has an STD.

Paragraph two
-Talk about the three formulations of the categorical imperative, mostly the concept of universalisability in this paragraph.
-You can't universalise contraception so it is wrong?
-BUT you could create maxim so it can be used by people with STDs? *strength
-But then people could create maxims for anything?

Paragraph three
-Talk about the second formulation - means as end.
-Mention the fact that Kant said marriage is more about the union of two people rather than procreation.

Conclusion

This is pretty much what I would do, remember to constantly evaluate your points and link back to the question and perhaps you could find some news stories/examples to put in. I don't have any other plans like this right now but if I do any tonight I can post them. If you pm me your email I can send you my meta notes, I don't want to clog up this thread any more. Sorry it's such a long post!

Thanks for this! Also remember because it's 'to what extent...' you can bring in other theories (after discussing in depth Kant's theory) to show how other theories are better/worse and to highlight strengths and weaknesses of Kant. :smile:
Reply 236
I've very stupidly left this revision till last minute so I've decided to miss two units from philology: miracles and religious experiences.Does anyone know If this will work out ok ? As in2 out of the 4 questions won't be from the same unit? Also, in terms of ethic question structure, with the non applied questions do u structure them the same as normal philosophy questions ie theory strengths/weaknesses. It would be a great help if someone could get back to me. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Original post by MY.
I've very stupidly left this revision till last minute so I've decided to miss two units from philology: miracles and religious experiences.Does anyone know If this will work out ok ? As in2 out of the 4 questions won't be from the same unit? Also, in terms of ethic question structure, with the non applied questions do u structure them the same as normal philosophy questions ie theory strengths/weaknesses. It would be a great help if someone could get back to me. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd avoid missing out miracles due to how simple a topic it is -- you literally just have to remember who said what about miracles and how likely it is to come up. But obviously, if you really can't remember it in time you'll have three other questions, or two in the worst case scenario that both come up. It's unlikely it will be on the same unit, the only time they seem to do that is revelation and religious experience. Ethics questions are structured in the same way to philosophy. The best way to structure for me is:

Intro- state argument that you are going to follow in essay.
Key words - define any key words you are going to use and possibly show off any (obviously making sure it's relevant and you're not just listing.)

Point 1: A02 - Starting sentence that links to your argument.
A01- Back this up with some evidence (scholars)
A02- Back to argument, use an example and critique.

More points in the same format.

Conclude: Summarise points and show how argument has worked.

Not sure if I've helped or not... Let me know.
Reply 239
Original post by copril
I'd avoid missing out miracles due to how simple a topic it is -- you literally just have to remember who said what about miracles and how likely it is to come up. But obviously, if you really can't remember it in time you'll have three other questions, or two in the worst case scenario that both come up. It's unlikely it will be on the same unit, the only time they seem to do that is revelation and religious experience. Ethics questions are structured in the same way to philosophy. The best way to structure for me is:

Intro- state argument that you are going to follow in essay.
Key words - define any key words you are going to use and possibly show off any (obviously making sure it's relevant and you're not just listing.)

Point 1: A02 - Starting sentence that links to your argument.
A01- Back this up with some evidence (scholars)
A02- Back to argument, use an example and critique.

More points in the same format.

Conclude: Summarise points and show how argument has worked.

Not sure if I've helped or not... Let me know.

Definitlyyyy helped thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending