The Student Room Group

A2-AQA GOV4A Politics 10th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by LAMPERMAN
Any ideas on what might come up in the exam tomorrow? My Predictions are:
Topic 1 - 10 mark - Electoral College...something like "examine the process" or "consider the importance".
Topic 1 - 30 mark - Primary elections...something like "primary elections are no longer important in the nominating process". Discuss.

Topic 2 - 10 mark - Party organisation..."examine why the two main parties may be described as organisationally weak"
Topic 2 - 30 mark - Two party system/3rd parties..."third parties are no longer important in US politics today" Evaluate significance of this view.

Topic 3 - 10 mark - Could be anything. Could be partisan de-alignment or religion/region here. "Explain the importance of..."
Topic 3 - 30 mark - Turnout/differential abstention..."evaluate the view that age is the most important factor linked to low turnout at US elections"

I'm not revising topic 4 in depth so I can't share my predictions. I doubt very much all of these topics will come up but this is a rough idea after studying all of the past papers on AQA's website!

Having looked at every question since the paper started in Jan 2010 here's my predictions (guesses).

I definitely agree with you on Topic 1. If Primaries doesn't come up I will eat my hat. The other question could be anything although direct democracy/recalls hasn't appeared since June 2011 so...

As for Topic 2: One thing is for sure in this topic, party organisation and/or ideology is always going to be on the paper. (has been on every paper since exam began).
The third party question also appears on about 75% of papers in some form. I have a hunch they may throw in an appraisal of the two party system but that's just a guess really.

As for Topic 3: This topic is very open ended but I wouldn't be surprised to see a question on Hispanic or the young vote given Obama's recent victory. Partisan dealignment hasn't appeared since Jan 2010 so there's that.

Please don't hold me to any of these predictions (unless they're right) :smile:

Good luck

Edit; I need to eat my hat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What does it mean to "energize the base" I found this in a VB question where it says Karl Rove energized the base for Republican voters due to his "Ground War strategy" does anyone know what this means?

Basically appealing to your core voters. As you mention Rove manage to do this with Bush in 2004 with the Conservative base. You can't take the core vote for granted as differential abstention can occur as was the case in 2008 and 2010. In 2008 the GOP base wasn't energised whereas the Democrats' was (Obama message of hope/change). In 2010 however the Tea Party energised the grass roots of the GOP and meant they turned out whereas the Democrat core did not (to the same extent). Hope this helps.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What does it mean to "energize the base" I found this in a VB question where it says Karl Rove energized the base for Republican voters due to his "Ground War strategy" does anyone know what this means?

Energise the base is like getting the core vote back, the core vote of the republicans is the conservative ones,
the ones who believe in low taxes, traditional family values, no gun control that kind of thing! The tea party and religious right are examples of this, they energise the core vote/base. However the downside is they can make moderate republicans switch to the Democratic Party.
Hope that helps! It would be great if someone could back this up with evidence? If not don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrissM
Weak:

No mass party membership. This means that rebels can't be disciplined or even expelled. You could use the Democrat CongressmanJohn Williams who endorsed Republican candidate Barry Goldwater in 1964. The Democrats couldn't do anything because he wasn't a member. You could also use David Duke who ran for the GOP nomination in 92, who was an ex-member of the KKK. The Republican Party couldn't do anything about it.

Candidate centred elections. Candidates usually put the opinions of their constituents first, over the party platform (use Bush Sr ignoring the Party Platform ban on abortion in 92). This leads to differing views within the parties, and the party not being able to do anything (largely due to federalism).

Growth in the use of primaries, for Congressional as well as Presidential elections. This means that party bosses have little control over who ultimately runs for office. You could use McCain in 2008 as an example. He is considered a maverick by many, and would probably not have been given the Republican nomination by party bosses, although he was the favourite among grass root supporters.

Strong:

There has been no real threat to the two party system, showing that having the party label is crucial to getting elected. There are only 2 independents in Congress out of 535 (Sanders and Lieberman). The last candidate to win any EC votes was in 1968 (George Wallace - 45 votes).

There has been an increase in partisanship, showing that parties are willing to stick together in opposition to to the other party. Use Obamacare (PPACA) as an example. Vote in the Senate was exactly on party lines, except for one Republican who didn't vote (60-39 in favour of it).

You could also argue that there has been a realignment, rather than a dealignment. The GOP have a stronghold in the south, and the Democrats have solid support in the North-East, and among African Americans (93% in 2012, 95% in 2008). This shows a resurgence of the strength of the two major parties, and their importance in elections.

For conservatism jut wrote about the core values such as low taxes, individual responsibility, small federal government, free market, typically pro-life, anti-gun control.

For liberalism do the same, but obviously different views, such as tax and spend policies, big federal government, typically pro-choice, pro-gun control, and see welfare as gov't responsibilty.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

thanks man really helpful would Split ticket voting and weak discipline in congress e.g. pork barelling also be examples of party weakenesses?

Also do you know what Brock Reforms and six for six was for Democrats?
Reply 64
Original post by Bord3r
Having looked at every question since the paper started in Jan 2010 here's my predictions (guesses).

I definitely agree with you on Topic 1. If Primaries doesn't come up I will eat my hat. The other question could be anything although direct democracy/recalls hasn't appeared since June 2011 so...

As for Topic 2: One thing is for sure in this topic, party organisation and/or ideology is always going to be on the paper. (has been on every paper since exam began).
The third party question also appears on about 75% of papers in some form. I have a hunch they may throw in an appraisal of the two party system but that's just a guess really.

As for Topic 3: This topic is very open ended but I wouldn't be surprised to see a question on Hispanic or the young vote given Obama's recent victory. Partisan dealignment hasn't appeared since Jan 2010 so there's that.

Please don't hold me to any of these predictions (unless they're right) :smile:

Good luck

Primaries came up in January 2013 as a 30 marker, very unlikely it will come up again. I think it will be something on National Party Conventions or Direct Democracy (Referendums and initiatives)

For Parties, the Decline/Renewal question hasn't come up since Jan 10 I believe, and ideologies was asked in Jan 13.

Voting Behaviour SHOULD be Split Ticket voting, hasn't come up for a long time in comparison to Turnout and Factors affecting VB.
How did everyone find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also does anyone know how frequently aqa have to make sure something is in an exam? Is it every 6 years? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Hannahm1995

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really good! I'm so relieved :smile: How did you find it? What did you answer on? I did Political Party and Voting behaviour.
Original post by ILoveTehran
Really good! I'm so relieved :smile: How did you find it? What did you answer on? I did Political Party and Voting behaviour.

Same :biggrin: I did the same as you! It was great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Same :biggrin: I did the same as you! It was great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great to hear! Hopefully GOV4A will go good too.
Original post by ILoveTehran
That's great to hear! Hopefully GOV4A will go good too.

Yeah hopefully! :biggrin: my handwriting gets so bad near the end aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71

Posted from TSR Mobile

Much better than January! How did you think you did?

Original post by ChrissM
Much better than January! How did you think you did?

I think it went well! What questions did you chose in the end? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
I think it went well! What questions did you chose in the end? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Parties and Electoral Processes, which did you do?
Original post by ChrissM

Parties and voting behaviour! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Parties and voting behaviour! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The parties one was okay I thought, what did you think of voting behaviour? A few people I spoke to said it wasn't that great
Reply 76
Original post by ChrissM

Same. Thought the Direct Democracy question was nice and the 10 marker on hard and soft money was reasonable.
As for parties I thought the internal coalitions question was a gift and the 30 marker was very straightforward. How'd you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrissM
The parties one was okay I thought, what did you think of voting behaviour? A few people I spoke to said it wasn't that great

The ten marker was a bit weird, it was about the new deal coalition? But I think it went well! It was a weird choice though, more likely to be in parties than VB

Posted from TSR Mobile
no lie that exam was so difficult! I did VB and Parties

I only felt confident on the 10 marker on internal coalitions but not convinced I did that well
I only talked about moderate Republican and Conservative Democrat and gave two examples Olympia Snowe and Ben Nelson.
Then I just said that it can cause problems in partisan due to the divide but I said that partisan has actually risen e.g. republican all against medicare 2010 and divided government for debt ceiling debate in 2011. Then I said that internal coalitions are declining in the conclusion and said only 23 Blue dog dems. then one link to uk saying conservatives in the uk can be moderate e.g. those MPS that voted for gay marriage.

The 30 marker on weakness was awful! Didnt write much only 2 pages on low party discipline and federalism then said no they are actually renewed due to super deleagtes, contract america and six for six making parties more coheisve. Also talked about how national conventions and committees more important
conclusion - they arent weak but resurgent

One synoptic link on how uk parties more disicpline
For VB
10 marker on NEW DEAL COALITION wrote random stuff about support by jew minorites, africans and blue collar white workers
then said it is still relavent blacks never less 83 percent for obama in 2012 93% then I said that it is not relavent for white workers due to region realignment where solid south means that democrats have lost their votes shown in 2000 where republicans won every state

conclusion - yes and no it has changed.

30 marker-
socio economic
wealth and region did one or two stats
candidates, events, issues
talked about STV obama and reagan
economy important bush 1988 shows this
then said uninspriing candidates can cause low voting behaviour e.g. onlly 49 percent in 1996

conclusion - not one factor but short and long run cause vb

And one synoptic link on how wealth is very important in the UK due to embourgiousment

What did you guys write?

Not looking forward to results
Reply 79
The ten marker was a bit weird, it was about the new deal coalition? But I think it went well! It was a weird choice though, more likely to be in parties than VB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah I saw that, it would have been worse for someone who didn't do parties though, so I suppose it's alright for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending