The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steviep14
Was the "Hydrogen" thing...
150C nickel catalyst.. for the conversion one...

and the equilibrium;

decrease for higher temp
increase for higher pressure?
what was the hydrogen question? because I remember writing H2 gas + platinum catalyst at RTP :confused:
Reply 901
I thought it was alright, did everyone get electrophilic addition for the underlining question. For the dm3 question, i came back to it at the end and got the correct answer (41..) but forgot about s.f.!!!!!!

I think that unfortunatly it will be high for an A maybe 76-80 but can't see it surpassing 80.
Original post by nick d terrier

no your incorrect numbering of methy groups takes priority

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Hydrocarbons/Alkenes/Naming_the_Alkenes#The_Basic_Rules

I am correct, read that
Reply 903
Original post by madrevision
what was the hydrogen question? because I remember writing H2 gas + platinum catalyst at RTP :confused:

I put platinum catalyst at room temp
Original post by Welbeck
I thought it was alright, did everyone get electrophilic addition for the underlining question. For the dm3 question, i came back to it at the end and got the correct answer (41..) but forgot about s.f.!!!!!!

I think that unfortunatly it will be high for an A maybe 76-80 but can't see it surpassing 80.

the dm3 wasnt s.f. so you're ok!
Original post by King Hotpie
For the curly arrow one, I also drew an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, as well as from the C-Cl bond to the Cl and the F to the C. Was this wrong of me? I thought it also produced a positive hydrogen ion which would later go on to react with the hydrogen chloride?

Yeah that's right, I don't think you needed to draw an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, but I'm sure it won't matter.

I don't think you needed the HCL part as well, as it was only 2 marks :smile:

The colour change one confused me...
There was no colour change right... as you can't oxidise a tertiary alcohol? D:

Yup. Remains an orange colour, as potassium dichromate is an orange colour.
Reply 906
Original post by Davelittle
the dm3 wasnt s.f. so you're ok!

I thought it said 3 s.f.?

Has anyone uploaded the paper?
Well... didn't go too bad then
Think probably 75 for an A
then maybe drop of 7 per grade boundary..

For the 5 marker I wrote;

Propan-1-ol forms pd-pd interactions (hydrogen bonds) due to the hydroxyl group..
Propene only id-id interactions...
Propan-1-ol higher bp as pd-pd stronger than id-id and so more energy required to break these IMBs.. obviously expanded a bit but is that at least 3/5?
Reply 908
Anyone else forget that N2O was a dative molecule? :frown:
Original post by muonz
Pretty sure you won't get penalised for having the methyl groups with the lower number.

You probably will because it is the convention, take a read of that http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Hydrocarbons/Alkenes/Naming_the_Alkenes#The_Basic_Rules
Original post by xomaxhox
Anyone else forget that N2O was a dative molecule? :frown:

it had a diagram of it on the pre release :redface:
Original post by abzy1234
Yeah that's right, I don't think you needed to draw an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, but I'm sure it won't matter.

I don't think you needed the HCL part as well, as it was only 2 marks :smile:

Yup. Remains an orange colour, as potassium dichromate is an orange colour.

no, I didn't include the HCl part, it was just my logic as I went through inner turmoil with 5 minutes left deciding whether or not to add another arrow! :tongue:
Reply 912
it had a diagram of it on the pre release :redface:

I still managed to mess it up anyway :s-smilie:
nickel catalyst 150degrees AND 5 atm :redface:

yes thats right for the equilibrium one

I put Platinum at room temperature :/ The past papers I've been doing were always on off about nickel when I put it down :s-smilie:
Original post by Welbeck

I thought it said 3 s.f.?

Has anyone uploaded the paper?

the frequency one was 3 s.f. :redface:

I could swear I checked hmmmmm
You probably will because it is the convention, take a read of that http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Hydrocarbons/Alkenes/Naming_the_Alkenes#The_Basic_Rules

Is it in the spec though?
Original post by JammyGit07
I put Platinum at room temperature :/ The past papers I've been doing were always on off about nickel when I put it down :s-smilie:

I put both (pt one in brackets) :tongue:
The colour change one confused me...
There was no colour change right... as you can't oxidise a tertiary alcohol? D:
fml messed up on that one I wrote orange to green - I thought it was aldehyde they were talking about in that part of the question :mad:
Original post by King Hotpie
Is it in the spec though?

I remember my teacher telling us it, you would have to check as I dont have the spec handy
Reply 919
Original post by madrevision

You can use those reagents and conditions as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest