The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma1124
Does anyone have a few steps that can help me when working a question says to show the path of the ray until it returns to air, the seem to always get me! Thanks!!

think of the light ray as a car, and when it refracts going into a denser medium, the side of the car that hits the boundary first slows down first, allowing the other side to catch up, so the light bends towards the normal and vice versa
question 4 b i) on the june 2012 paper? thanks so much!!
Original post by frankieeeeeee
question 4 b i) on the june 2012 paper? thanks so much!!

Q4ai right? Since the angle is 85 degrees to the left, it is also 85 degrees inside the ray that forms the triangle. (Note: The angle of reflection is always the same as angle of incident). So, to find i, you add 85 + 30 which gives 115 degrees. Since triangle is 180, 180 - 115 gives 65 degrees. Any more help? Ask me
Reply 843
Original post by StalkeR47
Alright! :smile: How confident are you feeling for the physics exam?

Mmmm, not too sure. I know the content pretty well but I always have the feeling they're gonna ask something which I'll struggle to do. Otherwise, I'm pretty confident I guess.
Reply 844
when do you use f cos theta or f sin theta its confusing me some say horizontal or vertical others say line of action
Q4ai right? Since the angle is 85 degrees to the left, it is also 85 degrees inside the ray that forms the triangle. (Note: The angle of reflection is always the same as angle of incident). So, to find i, you add 85 + 30 which gives 115 degrees. Since triangle is 180, 180 - 115 gives 65 degrees. Any more help? Ask me

thanks so much!
i wasn't sure you could use 85 as the angle inside the triangle!
good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by dark3city
when do you use f cos theta or f sin theta its confusing me some say horizontal or vertical others say line of action

On the inclined, well.... Someone have already drawn a nice diagram.
Reply 847
Is there an easy way to calculate work done on a Load/extension graph? There's a question for this on June 10 5b which I can't do.
Thanks!
Original post by dark3city

Here!
image.jpg
image.jpg

the ms says 1.4 my calc gives 0.6 -.-
Jan 13 last q? Common! It was the easiest question. But you are doing really well! Keep it up! :smile:

I know aha! Just didn't like it :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks so much!
i wasn't sure you could use 85 as the angle inside the triangle!
good luck for tomorrow :smile:

no probs! Good luck to you too for tomorrow! You will be fine! :smile:
Original post by RU486
Is there an easy way to calculate work done on a Load/extension graph? There's a question for this on June 10 5b which I can't do.
Thanks!

Area under the graph
Original post by RU486
Thanks!

The area is wd. Count the number of blocks and times the number of blocks by the area of each block. :smile:
Reply 854
Can you please help me on a question?

Question 6di from June 2010!

I'd truly appreciate it
Reply 855
Can anyone explain Q. 4. b) (i) from the June 2012 paper?
It's on fibre optics and I really don't understand, the fibre is bent at 30 degrees and it asks you to calculate the angle of incidence.

What?

Thank you.

The laser beam at first undergoes total internal reflection, so this angle 156ea84d9ee12085032632fca12a1f8e.png is also 85 degrees, thus i=180-85-30=65 degrees.

Let xx be the cladding and yy be the core, and applying snell's law:

nxny=sin(θy)sin(θx) \frac{n_x}{n_y}= \frac{ \sin( \theta_y)}{ \sin ( \theta _x)}
(edited 10 years ago)
hi guys can some one please upload the MS AND QP jan 2013 unit 2 pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

my stupid teacher forgot to email :frown:
Reply 857
Original post by Sukura
Can you please help me on a question?

Question 6di from June 2010!

I'd truly appreciate it

6(d)(i) is simply 1/d, where d is the slits per mm. Although, be VERY careful with your s.f and standard form here. Mark scheme suggests that an incorrect s.f is no mark.
Original post by BenChard
image.jpg
image.jpg

the ms says 1.4 my calc gives 0.6 -.-

Which exam paper and which q?
Reply 859
Original post by BigBadJFly
Area under the graph

The area is wd. Count the number of blocks and times the number of blocks by the area of each block. :smile:

Ah okay, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending