The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Wise Ninja
I need 62 UMS for an A overall in Geog, is that a low C?

Low D! 62/120 = 52%
Reply 1781
Original post by V95
i achieved 170/200 at AS and 74/80 in Unit 4 - can somebody please tell me how many raw marks i'll need in this paper (roughly) to get an A overall? thank you in advance :smile:

You need a high C to get an A overall! so raw marks would be 47/90! lucky!!
can i ask how you prepared for paper 4B? you got such an amazing score! and how long did you spend revising for it? i was planning on cramming the day whole day before or is that not a good idea?

thanks!
Reply 1782
Ok im kinda confused, for my volcano case studies im using montserrat and mt st helens

the total cost of the montserrat eruption in 1997 was estimated to be about 1billion pounds whereas the the total cost of the eruption of the mt st helens eruption in the 1980s was estimated to be 1.1billion US $, how come the cost of the montserrat eruption was higher? i thought the economic impact is often higher in MEDCs compared to LEDcs?

someone help me clarify this, thanks
Original post by V95
i achieved 170/200 at AS and 74/80 in Unit 4 - can somebody please tell me how many raw marks i'll need in this paper (roughly) to get an A overall? thank you in advance :smile:

You need 320 - 244 = 76/120 UMS = 64% which will probably be around 50-53% raw or 45-48/90.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can anyone help regarding sub tropical anticyclones.

First I know they occur in the dry season in the winter. But what do they bring?

Can anyone help thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1785
Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for what the 7/8/10 mark questions might be on in the Globalisation and Development topic? I'm set on doing a Plate Tectonics essay, because that's the only topic I really enjoyed at A2. I was also taught Ecosystems and World Cities, but the latter is such a bitch of a topic I'm just not going to revise it at all.
Reply 1786
Original post by Gary
Ok im kinda confused, for my volcano case studies im using montserrat and mt st helens

the total cost of the montserrat eruption in 1997 was estimated to be about 1billion pounds whereas the the total cost of the eruption of the mt st helens eruption in the 1980s was estimated to be 1.1billion US $, how come the cost of the montserrat eruption was higher? i thought the economic impact is often higher in MEDCs compared to LEDcs?

I haven't done Monserrat but I know it was around 15 years after, could there be increased cost because of inflation over the years?

Also the cost could depend on the nature and magnitude of eruption and proximity of urban areas to the volcano. If there's nearby towns which get destroyed then obviously the cost would be quite large while I think only 200 or so buildings were destroyed in the eruption of Mt St Helens.
Reply 1787
Original post by mattypt
I haven't done Monserrat but I know it was around 15 years after, could there be increased cost because of inflation over the years?

Also the cost could depend on the nature and magnitude of eruption and proximity of urban areas to the volcano. If there's nearby towns which get destroyed then obviously the cost would be quite large while I think only 200 or so buildings were destroyed in the eruption of Mt St Helens.

actaully yeh now that i think about it , mt st helens is kinda in a rural area whereas montserrat was in an urban area where the capital city and all the towns/villages were destroyed, also it was severely disrupted as tourism declind... How did i not think of this sooner! haha thanks :smile:
Original post by mackie0088

Globalization: Describe and explain the growth the BRICS in the 21st century

Honestly don't think they'd ask specifically for BRICS as the NICs we should know are China, India and the Asian tigers and also maybe Russia or Brazil for New markets etc. So I think they would more likely ask growth of NICs in general???

I'm worried if they ask this I can talk about China, India and Brazil but not Russia do you think that matters if this comes up?
Original post by mattypt

You could also infer that the lower cost in the Mt St Helens was due to good management - eg. USGS scientists issued warnings to people living in the area. This is compared to Montserrat, where there was no disaster management plan/scientists gave little attention. However, the main argument is that Montserrat caused heavy damage to Plymouth (the capital city), in which key infrastructure was destroyed.
Original post by Gary
actaully yeh now that i think about it , mt st helens is kinda in a rural area whereas montserrat was in an urban area where the capital city and all the towns/villages were destroyed, also it was severely disrupted as tourism declind... How did i not think of this sooner! haha thanks :smile:

The cost is mainly different due to the development of each rather than proximity to urban areas. Montserrat is a volcanic island so its quite isolated but it was affected much worse in terms of losses from tourism decline as well as its primary industry and mass out-migration. It's a UK colony but much less developed in terms in infrastructure so the impacts were also much longer lasting. Whereas people probably went to Mt. st Helens to see the disaster also many got advised not to go to Montserrat from tourist operators.
Best of luck everyone!:smile:
Original post by Gary

this is why im not liking the volcano case studies! they dont show as clear comparisons as the earthquakes ones..
i still havent chosen which volcanoes to do -,-
I need 62 UMS for an A overall in Geog, is that a low C?

You need the exact same as me for an A. Are you aiming for an A*?
Can anybody work out what I need from these two exams to get an a/b it's the first time in doing 4b but at AS I got 163 - A ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TeddyEddy
You need the exact same as me for an A. Are you aiming for an A*?

It would be nice, but i'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket as I need to focus on other subjects where I need better grades! :colondollar:
Reply 1796
witch 3 options would be best to choose, tectonic, world cities and ?
Original post by szpajer
witch 3 options would be best to choose, tectonic, world cities and ?

D&G!
It would be nice, but i'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket as I need to focus on other subjects where I need better grades! :colondollar:

Same, need an A in this but a B in Biology so I'm narrowing down my revision for this by just focusing on 3 topics and only prepared to do my essay on one topic.
Original post by GraceCatherine_94
Can anybody work out what I need from these two exams to get an a/b it's the first time in doing 4b but at AS I got 163 - A ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Did you miss my answer to your previous question re UMS/Raw marks?

You need 157 for an A, 117 for a B.

Original post by bluekipper
OK, it's the UMS marks you need to calculate grades (Raw marks are used to convert to UMS and then forgotten)

There are 400 UMS marks max for the 2 years: Unit 1 - 140, Unit 2 - 60, Unit 3 - 120, Unit 4A/B - 80.

For an A, you need 320 (80%), B 280 (70%), C 240 (60%), etc. If you want an A* you need 320 over all 4 units, with a minimum of 180 (90%) from A2 Units 3 and 4A/B.

Example: You have UMS results for 3 units, Unit 1 - 124, Unit 2 - 42, Unit 4A - 66, Total for 3 units = 232. To get an A, you need 320 - 232 = 88 out of 120 from Unit 3. This is about 74% UMS, which will probably be somewhere in the region of 60-70% Raw in the exam.

Remember, it's possible to get an A* overall, even if you only got a C at AS. In Unit 3 in January 2013, 78% Raw would have got you 120 UMS (100%)!!!

Quick Reply