The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tejmasta
What were the large scale uses of chlorine?

i wrote PVC and water treatment
Reply 1121
would saying propellants for the CFC questions be alright guys?
Reply 1122
Original post by nukethemaly
I wrote disinfectant and for purifying drinking water? or something like that

Exactly what I wrote :P

Chlorofluorocarbons. and I wrote blowing agents for that one, it was quite literally the only thing on my mind because my friend and I made this inappropriate joke in the morning around it haha

Haha ditto :wink:
Chlorofluorocarbons. and I wrote blowing agents for that one, it was quite literally the only thing on my mind because my friend and I made this inappropriate joke in the morning around it haha

hahahaha, damn that would of been a good way of remembering it. Nice I put chlorofluorocarbons, thought it was a hard paper though. Hopefully 75/80 for an A
I wrote disinfectant and for purifying drinking water? or something like that

Original post by tigerz
Exactly what I wrote :P

Haha ditto :wink:

I thought of the word 'purify' but its not actually purifying the liquid, in fact it is making it more impure by adding chlorine. It kills bacteria but that isn't the same as purifying. I'm not sure what the MS will be like on this though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gregzzzter
I put flame retardants for the other use of CFCs is that right? and what does CFC actually stand for?

I think flame retardants is exclusive to bromine
I wrote Anhydrous Potassium Sulphate....Is that acceptable? Knew i should of put Sodium -_-'
(edited 10 years ago)
has anyone made an unofficial markscheme???
Is there any chance of an unofficial mark scheme being posted? There was one for Core 2 maths that I did two week ago, don't know if it's the same for Chemistry.:rolleyes:
Original post by booooomblastruin

I think flame retardants is exclusive to bromine

Chlorofluorocarbon
Is there any chance of an unofficial mark scheme being posted? There was one for Core 2 maths that I did two week ago, don't know if it's the same for Chemistry.:rolleyes:

OCR papers are really hard to get hold of for some reason :/
do you have to say anhydrous to get the mark

I just said Magnesium Sulfate which i know is a drying agent =/
Original post by JammyGit07
I wrote Anhydrous Potassium Sulphate....Is that acceptable? Knew is should of put Sodium -_-'

Exactly the same :smile: perfect
Reply 1133
Original post by Ali_Ludley
I thought of the word 'purify' but its not actually purifying the liquid, in fact it is making it more impure by adding chlorine. It kills bacteria but that isn't the same as purifying. I'm not sure what the MS will be like on this though.

True that, I totally forgot about PVC etc I think i'll get 1 mark for that bit
Did anyone get 1,1,5- trimethyl hept-4-ene for the name of the molecule by any chance. It seems right to me when i work it out, but everyone seems to be writing other things...
Original post by tigerz
True that, I totally forgot about PVC etc I think i'll get 1 mark for that bit

To be honest, you may get the mark for purify, it just depends upon how pedantic they will be in the paper on marking.
I put flame retardants for the other use of CFCs is that right? and what does CFC actually stand for?

Original post by super121
Chlorofluorocarbon

Oh snap, apparently CFCs did use to be used as flame retardants. The MS should acknowledge this :biggrin:
hahahaha, damn that would of been a good way of remembering it. Nice I put chlorofluorocarbons, thought it was a hard paper though. Hopefully 75/80 for an A

I'm hoping for maybe 70-72 for an A

Yeah I didn't think it was too easy or too hard, it was standard I'd say
Original post by Alexandra82
Did anyone get 1,1,5- trimethyl hept-4-ene for the name of the molecule by any chance. It seems right to me when i work it out, but everyone seems to be writing other things...

It is in fact 3,7-dimethyloct-3-ene.

Its this because the double bond must be on the smallest numbered carbon possible (In this case number 3 carbon) and then take the longest chain (8 carbons = octene) and then put the other groups in which is 2 methyl groups left on the 3rd and 7th carbon.

And there we have it.
Original post by JammyGit07
I wrote Anhydrous Potassium Sulphate....Is that acceptable? Knew is should of put Sodium -_-'

Yeah I think that might be allowed

Latest

Trending

Trending