The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by mrliamf
hey, you know your answers for section B and C are they ever as detailed as the mark scheme because i have apparently been getting around 85% (according to my teacher) but the mark scheme seems more detailed and word... Don't get me wrong i put all the detail i can remember into any given question just wanting someone else opinion please :smile:

nope, sometimes the answers in the mark scheme are unnecessarily detailed and they go over the top LOL. as long as you include the main points and correct context you will always get top marks
Reply 1201
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
At Least you get a choice of 3 studies in section B, I think section A is the trickiest they could literally ask you anything!

LOL yeah but sometimes they like to recycle questions eg. psychometric testing in T+P. so as long as you have done some past papers you should be able to get top marks!
Original post by jodie.irwin27
ok so my assumption for physiological approach is:

it assumes that behaviour is influenced by biological factors before psychological factors. Biological factors include hormones, genetics, brain structure and neurological activity.

is this too basic? how could i develop it?

I think that is good and because the assumption question is only 2 marks you should get the full marks for that.

My assumption is slightly different though this is mine:

The main assumption of the physiological approach of psychology is that humans are no more than "meat machines" thus emotions, behaviours, thoughts and feelings ultimately have a physiological cause therefore psychology should study the brain, nervous system and various other biological systems.
One thing I don't really understand is why does the phobia of white horses was was something to do with Han's desire to take his mother away from his father could someone someone pleeeeaaaase explain this to me I am totally confused gosh I always hate this study!! Many thanks! You guys are just soo clever! :wink:
This thread has really helped with my revision...
Reply 1205
could someone explain for 4marks how the physiological approach could explain dreaming please?
Reply 1206
What's the definition and examples of psychometric tests? thanks :smile:
Reply 1207
Original post by lankan-gurl
I think that is good and because the assumption question is only 2 marks you should get the full marks for that.

The main assumption of the physiological approach of psychology is that humans are no more than "meat machines" thus emotions, behaviours, thoughts and feelings ultimately have a physiological cause therefore psychology should study the brain, nervous system and various other biological systems.
My assumption ( from the mark scheme) :smile: --- All that is psychological, is first physiological, that since the mind appears to reside in the brain, all thoughts , feelings and behaviours automatically have a physiological cause.
If neither Physiological, Behaviourist nor Psychodynamic come up in Section C, and Baron-Cohen and Reicher and Haslam don't come up for Section B...
Well I'll just cry :eek:
Reply 1209
Original post by qs2xo
nope, sometimes the answers in the mark scheme are unnecessarily detailed and they go over the top LOL. as long as you include the main points and correct context you will always get top marks

Thank you, put my mind at rest a bit. got me worried XD
Reply 1210
could someone explain for 4marks how the physiological approach could explain dreaming please????
Reply 1211
Original post by Billie Jean
One thing I don't really understand is why does the phobia of white horses was was something to do with Han's desire to take his mother away from his father could someone someone pleeeeaaaase explain this to me I am totally confused gosh I always hate this study!! Many thanks! You guys are just soo clever! :wink:

Hans desire to take his mother away from his father is a feature of the oedipus complex. Because of this he fears that his father will find out and castrate him (castration anxiety)

Freud suggested that the fear of white horses was symbolic for his fear of his father. The white horses black mouth and blinkers symbolised Hans fathers glasses and moustache. Hans also feared that the white horse would bite him and this was associated with Hans fear of his father castrating him for wanting to sexually possess his mother.
Reply 1212
Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck with this exam tomorrow! You'll all do well, so don't strain yourself with too much revision! Remember its 85 for an A and you can pick them up from every section, so stay calm and read the question carefully and CONTEXTUALISE! I can't stress this enough! Half of the marks are lost as people don't contextualise :P Wish me luck too (hopefully 2nd time lucky)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolalala
could someone explain for 4marks how the physiological approach could explain dreaming please?

(FOR)
The main assumption of the physiological approach is that all behaviour and experience can be explained by physiological changes. The approach investigates the brain, the nervous system and other biological factors such as hormones so you could say that dreaming in terms of this approach is caused by how we behave and you could also say that experience can structure our dreams.

(AGAINST)
Erm well you could say that other psychologists take the view that we cannot explain complex human behaviour such as dreaming just in terms of brain structure and chemicals, other extraneous variables could contribute to why and what people dream such as their lifestyles etc..
Original post by DEb96

Psychometric tests are questionairres or any method that measures a persons mental ability, personality and memory. An example could be that Reicher and Haslam used these psychometric questionairres to make sure that the participants were of a balanced mental state
Reply 1215
Original post by DEb96

psychometric tests are basically standardised procedures that measure memory, intelligence and personality etc.

examples of this are the IQ tests and memory tests in Thigpen and Cleckey and daily psychometric tests used in reicher and haslam to test the participants social variables (racism, authoritarianism) and clinical variables (depression, anxiety etc)
Original post by lankan-gurl

hmm, i like the last sentence the most, may steal it muahaha :biggrin: thanks for the help!
Anyone? Psycodynamic and helping behaviour (Piliavin)? :frown:
Original post by mkhan9035
Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck with this exam tomorrow! You'll all do well, so don't strain yourself with too much revision! Remember its 85 for an A and you can pick them up from every section, so stay calm and read the question carefully and CONTEXTUALISE! I can't stress this enough! Half of the marks are lost as people don't contextualise :P Wish me luck too (hopefully 2nd time lucky)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, this is your 2nd time? Well I wish you the very best of luck.. I hope you get the grade you want :biggrin:
Hi what studies are related to the psychodynamic perspective?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending