The Student Room Group

OCR Advancing Physics G492 ~5 June 2013~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArchieL
Haha, you know it! Geoff's retiring this year
:afraid:

Also the section C notes were Tim's work this year, he rustled them out as soon as the prerelease came out! The physics dept. at csfc are so hyped on caffeine it's unreal.
:elefant:

I know, it sucks!
Ok awesome! Are there any answers for the section C notes around?
Reply 121
Original post by ArchieL
There are some great YT vids on the subject, but..
Uncertainty = http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=227989
% Uncertainty = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTn2pt5PuA
Resolution = Smallest observable change: In the case of a digital display, the amount of d.p, in a graph it's how many units 1 box represents.

Thankyou very much
Reply 122
liomeeringca,

Read the MS again, it says 169m^2s^-2 and the same for 900.

I just used v^2 = u^2 +2as, then rearrange for s.

I apologise, the reason they have those units is because they've been squared:
(m/s)^2 = (m^2/s^2)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by AndItsOllie
I know, it sucks!
Ok awesome! Are there any answers for the section C notes around?

I'm afraid not mate, I've got a few if you need them! Just ask :smile:
Original post by ArchieL
I apologise, the reason they have those units is because they've been squared:
(m/s)^2 = (m^2/s^2)

I understand now, thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by marseille_h
This might seem straightforward but I'm a bit confused:

A car has an acceleration of 0.86g. Calculate the time it takes to reach a velocity of 27m.s-1.
g=9.81

v=u+at
so t= (v-u)/a

is g=acceleration in this case and the acceleration of the car they give we take it as u and v=27 ?

Acceleration would be 0.86 x g, so 0.86 x 9.81. I assume you would take u as 0 and v as 27 and then use v=u+at to find t.
Original post by jacobfun
Acceleration would be 0.86 x g, so 0.86 x 9.81. I assume you would take u as 0 and v as 27 and then use v=u+at to find t.

which formula do we use to get acceleration and do 0.86 x g ?
Reply 127
which formula do we use to get acceleration and do 0.86 x g ?

No formula. 'g' is shorthand for the acceleration due to gravity (on earth) ~ 9.81ms-2
=> an acceleration of 0.86g = (0.86)(9.81) = 8.4366 ~ 8.44
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ArchieL
No formula. 'g' is shorthand for the acceleration due to gravity (on earth) ~ 9.81ms-2
=> an acceleration of 0.86g = (0.86)(9.81) = 8.4366 ~ 8.44

Oh i understand i thought it was a wierd unit. THANKS :smile:
Reply 129
How does everyone feel about potential dividers, thermisters and general electricity questions then? I'm bricking myself :frown:
Original post by ArchieL
How does everyone feel about potential dividers, thermisters and general electricity questions then? I'm bricking myself :frown:

None of this in unit 2 i think..
Original post by liomeeringca
How would one calculate gravity from a set of results like that?

V^2=U^2+2as. F=ma, and the component for force in the direction of the ramp is gsin(theta). Therefore you can rearrange that to a=gsin(theta)
V^2=U^2 + 2gsin(theta)s. U=0, so you can rearrange it to g=V^2 divided by 2sin(theta)s
I saw someone had already answered this but I'm still unsure how to determine the value for g from v2= u2+2as

Can someone explain step by step please?

I hate all these maths based questions :frown:
Original post by ArchieL

Wasn't this G491?
Reply 134
None of this in unit 2 i think..

As far as I was aware, section C is a synopsis unit (of sorts?) :s-smilie:
Also I've got a question on it on some prelrelease questions set by the department at college, so I'd guess there might be a little on it? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if there wasn't! Haha
Original post by King Hotpie
V^2=U^2+2as. F=ma, and the component for force in the direction of the ramp is gsin(theta). Therefore you can rearrange that to a=gsin(theta)
V^2=U^2 + 2gsin(theta)s. U=0, so you can rearrange it to g=V^2 divided by 2sin(theta)s

Thank you so so much, :smile:
Original post by ArchieL
As far as I was aware, section C is a synopsis unit (of sorts?) :s-smilie:
Also I've got a question on it on some prelrelease questions set by the department at college, so I'd guess there might be a little on it? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if there wasn't! Haha

I haven't looked a potential dividers in aaaaaaages! I really hope there's nothing on it, like you say D:
For the pre-release material on measuring the speed of light... why can it be assumed that the 'hotspot' where the chocolate melted is an antinode? :confused:
Reply 138
Original post by seharnaznaz
I saw someone had already answered this but I'm still unsure how to determine the value for g from v2= u2+2as

Can someone explain step by step please?

I hate all these maths based questions :frown:

With the trolley on the ramp, it has an acceleration, g, acting directly downwards. Construct a triangle with this force, another force c acting ϴ degrees to it originating from the floor (so they meet). Then add another from the top of grunning parallel to the slope. This cuts the line with c and forms a triangle. From the cosine rule, cosϴ=opp/hyp, so =a/g. Rearrange to get a=gsinϴ. (It's best to draw a diagram of all component forces, stripped down).

If we then substitute this into the equation v2=u2+2as with u=0, we get that result (v2 =2.g.l.sinϴ). Also it's probably worth noting that plotting a graph with v^2 against sinϴ gets us with a gradient of 2.g.l
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by seharnaznaz
For the pre-release material on measuring the speed of light... why can it be assumed that the 'hotspot' where the chocolate melted is an antinode? :confused:

Antinodes is where the intestity is the highest compared to nodes where it is =0

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending