The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkhan9035
yeah me too, good luck! Lets smash it :smile:

posted from tsr mobile

lets do it!!! This is gonna rock!!!
Original post by mkhan9035
Yeah lol got a D first time :frown: so really want an A cause I got an A on Psych Investigations and a B on the A2 options paper! Need an A in this and an A in the 2nd A2 paper to get an A overall *fingers crossed* good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow.. You're pretty good then eh? Nah but seriously i think you'll get it this time? Did you know where you went wrong the first time you did core studies?
What would you say the quantitative data was in Reicher and Haslam because it said both the qualitative and quantitative was used??? This has been asked before lool :smile: thank you for your answers!
Original post by wolalala
could someone briefly describe the procedure for Dement and kleitman please?? what I have is too long :/ and the research method was self report right??

Participants were asked not to consume caffeine or alcohol during the day preceding the experiment. They arrived at the sleep lab in time for their normal bed time. Electrodes were placed on the scalp to measure brain activity and near the eyes to measure eye movement. The P's then went to a dark quiet room to go to sleep. At various times during the night the P was awoken by a doorbell, and asked to recall their dream if they had been dreaming, and they were also asked about the length of their dream. They spoke into a tape recorder.
could someone briefly describe the procedure for Dement and kleitman please?? what I have is too long :/ and the research method was self report right??

it was lab experiment, using self-report to collect data.

procedure:
participants asked to astain from alcohol/caffeine on day of experiment
asked to report to the lab around their usual bedtimes
electrodes attached to their scalp (EEG) and around their eyes (EOG)
they were then awoken randomly either during REM sleep or NREM sleep, 5 mins into REM sleep or 15 mins into REM sleep
they were then asked to report into a recording device of... a: whether they could recall a dream or not. b: whether they believe they had been sleeping for 5 or 15 minutes. c: the content of the dream

a relates to hypothesis 1
b to hypothesis 2
and c to hypothesis 3 :smile:
Reply 1245
you know the hypotheses for dement and kleitman, does anyone have the results that supports them please?
Reply 1246
Original post by jodie.irwin27
it was lab experiment, using self-report to collect data.

procedure:
participants asked to astain from alcohol/caffeine on day of experiment
asked to report to the lab around their usual bedtimes
electrodes attached to their scalp (EEG) and around their eyes (EOG)
they were then awoken randomly either during REM sleep or NREM sleep, 5 mins into REM sleep or 15 mins into REM sleep
they were then asked to report into a recording device of... a: whether they could recall a dream or not. b: whether they believe they had been sleeping for 5 or 15 minutes. c: the content of the dream

a relates to hypothesis 1
b to hypothesis 2
and c to hypothesis 3 :smile:

Thankyouu ever sooo much :biggrin:
Reply 1247
Original post by lankan-gurl
Participants were asked not to consume caffeine or alcohol during the day preceding the experiment. They arrived at the sleep lab in time for their normal bed time. Electrodes were placed on the scalp to measure brain activity and near the eyes to measure eye movement. The P's then went to a dark quiet room to go to sleep. At various times during the night the P was awoken by a doorbell, and asked to recall their dream if they had been dreaming, and they were also asked about the length of their dream. They spoke into a tape recorder.

Thank you ever so much!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Billie Jean
What would you say the quantitative data was in Reicher and Haslam because it said both the qualitative and quantitative was used??? This has been asked before lool :smile: thank you for your answers!

Quantitative data included daily psychometric tests to measure social variables, organisational variables and clinical variables additionally a physiological test for stress levels was administered daily by taking saliva swabs from each P.
you know the hypotheses for dement and kleitman, does anyone have the results that supports them please?

i do,

Hypothesis 1:
for all participants, there was a high incidence of recall of dreaming during REM periods, and a low incidence of recall during NREM periods
supports hypothesis 1
Hypothesis 2:
participants were awoken after 5 or 15 minutes of REM activity and were asked how long they had been dreaming
there were more correct answers than wrong answers
supports hypothesis 2
Hypothesis 3:
3 vertical eye movements: looking up a cliff, looking up and down a ladder, looking up to a basketball net
1 horizontal eye movement: watching two people throw tomatoes at each other
Both vertical and horizontal eye movements: looking at something up close, e.g. talking to people
Little or no movement: looking at something in the distance or at a fixed point

basically, use this resource i created! way easier.
what would you guys say was the main (easiest) similarity and difference between studies taking the physiological approach?
which approaches/perspectives do you guys think are gonna appear this year for section C??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quantitative data included daily psychometric tests to measure social variables, organisational variables and clinical variables additionally a physiological test for stress levels was administered daily by taking saliva swabs from each P.

Ommmmgg that is exactly kind of what I said before but I thought most of it was qualitative data rather than quantitative and I was thinking maybe the psychometric tests were quantitative data but thank you now it's clear to me!! <3 :biggrin:
Reply 1253
Original post by jodie.irwin27
i do,

Hypothesis 1:
for all participants, there was a high incidence of recall of dreaming during REM periods, and a low incidence of recall during NREM periods
supports hypothesis 1
Hypothesis 2:
participants were awoken after 5 or 15 minutes of REM activity and were asked how long they had been dreaming
there were more correct answers than wrong answers
supports hypothesis 2
Hypothesis 3:
3 vertical eye movements: looking up a cliff, looking up and down a ladder, looking up to a basketball net
1 horizontal eye movement: watching two people throw tomatoes at each other
Both vertical and horizontal eye movements: looking at something up close, e.g. talking to people
Little or no movement: looking at something in the distance or at a fixed point

basically, use this resource i created! way easier.
your notes were really helpful! Thank you ever so much!! :biggrin:
your notes were really helpful! Thank you ever so much!! :biggrin:

no worries :3
When it asks for describe a method os the study do we have to just describe whether it is a case study, lab experiment etc. or do we have to say what exactly happened in the study like the procedure?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1256
So if people reckon it's the Physiological approach that'll come up, what do you think the b) question will be?

describe how the physiological approach could explain.....

structural changes in the brain
dreaming
difficulties experienced by those with split brains

have all come up - which covers all the studies that have been in the approach. Not sure how to prepare for question b now.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Oh that's a good combination, the psychodynamic perspective believes that all behaviour derives from inner conflicts of the mind so you could say in Piliavin when the victim is on the floor, people are in a conflict with themselves on whether to help the victim or just to walk by. Also in Piliavin there is the 'Cost of helping', 'Cost of not helping', 'Rewards of helping' and 'Rewards if not helping'- ie the Cost-Reward Model. In terms of the psychodynamic approach you could say that the cost-reward model intertwines with the psychodynamic idea of ID, EGO and SUPEREGO the three parts of our mind that are always in conflict and tries to balance our conscience.

The part in bold - That's related to social... I'm pretty sure anyway. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. :biggrin: I cannot express how much I am grateful. Thank you!!!!
Do you have to include an example of a study in the assumption in section C to get the two marks?
Piliavin isn't a psychodynamic study it's a behaviourist study. All of the social approach studies (piliavin, reicher and haslam and milgram) are behaviourist as well as savage rumbaugh, bandura and griffiths.

Thigpen and Cleckley, Freud and possibly rosenhan are psychodynamic :smile:

Humm. I've not even learnt Piliavin as a behaviourist study? What could you write for that? :s-smilie:

In my book it mentions Piliavin as part of psychodynamic... I just have a feeling it will be sods law and it will come up tomorrow. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending