The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jodie.irwin27
what would you guys say was the main (easiest) similarity and difference between studies taking the physiological approach?

So I think the studies for that approach is Dement, Sperry and Maguire so
quite basically,

Similarities:

All use sophisticated equipment to obtain results such as EEG's and MRI's.

They all study the brain.

All VERY low in ecological validity due to the fact that they are all lab experiments and they include things that people would not do in everyday life. However it does mean they have more control over variables.

Very scientific approach.

They are all time consuming and costly.

All have a limited sample (Maguire is an exception)

Maguire and Sperry are very androcentric studies because their samples are all male (Dement and Kleitman has more males to females meaning it's also androcentric but atleast it included 2 females, results can't be generalised for females)

Differences:

Maguire investigates the relationship between a structure of the brain called the hippocampus and memory

Dement and Kleitman investigates what happens when we sleep.

Sperry investigates the behaviour and experiences of people who have had their brains separated into two halves.

That's All I got.
Original post by >Username<
The part in bold - That's related to social... I'm pretty sure anyway. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. :biggrin: I cannot express how much I am grateful. Thank you!!!!

Oh yeah it does go with social! Thank God cos it was tricky trying to relate it to the Psychodynamic perspective. :colondollar:
If none of the two perspectives come up tomorrow. That's 20 or so marks down the drain.
Original post by Jess96
So if people reckon it's the Physiological approach that'll come up, what do you think the b) question will be?

describe how the physiological approach could explain.....

structural changes in the brain
dreaming
difficulties experienced by those with split brains

have all come up - which covers all the studies that have been in the approach. Not sure how to prepare for question b now.

Isn't all that stuff section C??
I see what you're saying though, just revise the studies that take the physiological approach and whatever the question is tomorrow try and relate it to the studies which I think are Dement and Kleitman, Maguire and Sperry.
Reply 1264
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
If none of the two perspectives come up tomorrow. That's 20 or so marks down the drain.

Its VERY likely for atleast one to come up...unless OCR are just evil! Goodluck anyways
I was just thinking about... say if someone got a D on the psychological investigations exam and an A or a B on this exam what would you will get?? A C or close to a B since it's 70% of our AS grade :/
Original post by DEb96
Its VERY likely for atleast one to come up...unless OCR are just evil! Goodluck anyways

Ah statments like these make me feel better! Good luck everyone. Hopefully Baron Cohen will be awaiting us all.
Original post by spoonapocalypse
which approaches/perspectives do you guys think are gonna appear this year for section C??

Posted from TSR Mobile

mm im thinking behaviorist+physiological wbu
Guys i'm struggling on how to answer question D on Section C for both of the perspectives!

I will pos rep. :smile:
Original post by wolalala
could someone briefly describe the procedure for Dement and kleitman please?? what I have is too long :/ and the research method was self report right??

Ppts not allowed caffeine or alcohol, went to sleep in the lab in a quiet dark room at their normal bedtime, electrodes attactched and EEG and EOG machines used to measure brain frequency and eye movement, woken by a door bell and spoke in to a tape recorder when awoken saying their dream content and estimated dream length :smile:
Reply 1270
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
So I think the studies for that approach is Dement, Sperry and Maguire so
quite basically,

Similarities:

All use sophisticated equipment to obtain results such as EEG's and MRI's.

They all study the brain.

All VERY low in ecological validity due to the fact that they are all lab experiments and they include things that people would not do in everyday life. However it does mean they have more control over variables.

Very scientific approach.

They are all time consuming and costly.

All have a limited sample (Maguire is an exception)

Maguire and Sperry are very androcentric studies because their samples are all male (Dement and Kleitman has more males to females meaning it's also androcentric but atleast it included 2 females, results can't be generalised for females)

Differences:

Maguire investigates the relationship between a structure of the brain called the hippocampus and memory

Dement and Kleitman investigates what happens when we sleep.

Sperry investigates the behaviour and experiences of people who have had their brains separated into two halves.

That's All I got.

Im finding differences hard to come by. Could you perhaps say sperry collected qualitative data and dement and kleitman collected quantitative data?
Original post by random1234567
mm im thinking behaviorist+physiological wbu

Yeah I have a feeling they will. I'm planning answers for both to be on the safe side. Also Psychodynamic could possibly. And I HOPE THAT BARON COHEN COMES UP IN SECTION B OR I'M SO DONE WITH LIFE
Reply 1272
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Isn't all that stuff section C??
I see what you're saying though, just revise the studies that take the physiological approach and whatever the question is tomorrow try and relate it to the studies which I think are Dement and Kleitman, Maguire and Sperry.

Yeah I meant the part b) question in section C which relates a core study to the approach. I'm terrible at that question, going to have to wing it tomorrow I think!
Original post by Billie Jean
I was just thinking about... say if someone got a D on the psychological investigations exam and an A or a B on this exam what would you will get?? A C or close to a B since it's 70% of our AS grade :/

I was thinking the exact same thing, the ratio is quite weird, usually it's like 60% to 40%. Core studies is a whole 70%! It's almost like it doesn't matter what grade you get in Psy Investigations. I think if someone got a D in psy invsgts and in A in core studies then you would get a B overall, then if you got a D in psy invsgts but a B in core studies then it would be a C overall. I'm praying for at least an A or B overall. :goodluck:
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Guys i'm struggling on how to answer question D on Section C for both of the perspectives!

I will pos rep. :smile:

Whats question d? :colondollar:
Reply 1275
By the looks of it, if Baron Cohen doesn't come up in section B we are all screwed...I don't know if I should laugh or cry :L
Reply 1276
i was just w0ndering h0w l0ng pe0ple generally take f0r secti0n a? i just did a paper, and secti0n a 0nly t00k me ab0ut half an h0ur... is that t00 little?

g00d luck t0 every0ne d0ing this exam t0m0rr0w! i h0pe y0u all d0 well 0u0
Reply 1277
Original post by leanne1996
Ppts not allowed caffeine or alcohol, went to sleep in the lab in a quiet dark room at their normal bedtime, electrodes attactched and EEG and EOG machines used to measure brain frequency and eye movement, woken by a door bell and spoke in to a tape recorder when awoken saying their dream content and estimated dream length :smile:
Thank you ever so much :smile: !!!!
Original post by qs2xo
Im finding differences hard to come by. Could you perhaps say sperry collected qualitative data and dement and kleitman collected quantitative data?

Yes, although I would say that Dement and Kleitman collected both Quant and Qual, results for hypothesis 3 was qualitative data and the results of the other two hypothesis were quantitative.
Original post by Skyscraper15
Whats question d? :colondollar:

Strengthes and weaknesses of the......... (perspective) usng experiments from any of the studies that can be see from the blah...perspetive. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending