The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gunner121
Doppler effect ??? Someone please explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn35SB1_NYI

learn that definition.
Reply 501
For june 2011 question 11 I think it is (the one where you have to work out the resistance) for the last one I thought the total of the two resistors in series is 2R and then so 1/2R + 1/R = 3/2R but what's wrong, what am I doing wrong?
Reply 502
Original post by ArcRaman
BBB - blue bends better
RBR - red bends rotten.

Therefore you can see that if blue and red light travel in the same media, other than vacuum, blue light will always have to experience a greater index of refraction.

So shorter wavelengths refract more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 503

That was nice !
Reply 504
Jan 11 q11c) - how are you supposed to know to where to mark the compressions on Z? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious but I just can't see it!phys jan 11.pngphys jan 11 ms.png
Reply 505
Jan 11 can somebody please explain qu. 19?
Reply 506
Doppler effect ??? Someone please explain

Use brightstorm2 channel in YouTube it is excellent!
Original post by ambbs
Jan 11 q11c) - how are you supposed to know to where to mark the compressions on Z? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious but I just can't see it!phys jan 11.pngphys jan 11 ms.png

One time period is between adjacent compressions. If the wave had traveled T the positions would basically look the same, the particles would have just moved up the line. However as 3/4T has passed then the compressions must be 3/4 along the line between two compressions.

If that does not make sense I will try to explain further.
Reply 508
Original post by Tomupcraft
One time period is between adjacent compressions. If the wave had traveled T the positions would basically look the same, the particles would have just moved up the line. However as 3/4T has passed then the compressions must be 3/4 along the line between two compressions.

If that does not make sense I will try to explain further.

Ah okay :smile: so if 1/2T had passed, the compressions would be halfway along the line between two compressions, i.e., at a rarefaction? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ambbs
Ah okay :smile: so if 1/2T had passed, the compressions would be halfway along the line between two compressions, i.e., at a rarefaction? Thanks! :smile:

Yes, that is correct.
Reply 510
phyy.png How to solve this question? The answer is 'D'. Anyone please.
Reply 511
Yes, that is correct.

Could you explain, so the larger the wavelength the more it refracts and bends away from the normal in a denser medium ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AT95
phyy.png How to solve this question? The answer is 'D'. Anyone please.

I have explained this on the previous page :smile:
Reply 513
Original post by alygirl

I hope you get it
IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg
Reply 514
How do you label something out of phase? I'm thinking of question 12 Jan 09
Original post by Branny101
Could you explain, so the larger the wavelength the more it refracts and bends away from the normal in a denser medium ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, The smaller the wavelength, hence greater the frequency the more the wave refracts.
therefore if we take red and blue light, blue light will refract greater towards the normal than red light.

Diffraction is the opposite, the greater the wavelength the greater the diffraction.
Reply 516
Original post by alygirl

Here is the second one :

IMG_0291.jpg
Original post by alygirl
How do you label something out of phase? I'm thinking of question 12 Jan 09

Do you mean out of phase or 180 degrees out of phase? out of phase can be anything that is not in phase with a point, wheres a point in anti phase must be 180 degrees out of phase.
Reply 518
Original post by krisshP
Use brightstorm2 channel in YouTube it is excellent!

Okay :smile:
Reply 519
Okay :smile:

Do you mean out of phase or 180 degrees out of phase? out of phase can be anything that is not in phase with a point, wheres a point in anti phase must be 180 degrees out of phase.

Original post by Branny101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could anyone explain, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile