The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You're... You're... Are you Muslim?:eek:

Nope! :frown: sorry! I don't even have a language okay...

Sorry, the people above are very good at their respective languages. I'd have put myself forward for French (and I'm not too bad at it) and I'm not there so no:smile:

I think I deserve a special title - youngest person here, unless Emily appears! :frown:
Original post by Vionar
Well, that all depends! The possible languages at any uni are: French, Spanish, German, Icelandic, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and I think that's it!

What about you?

Lol I believe I still have another year to go but I do intend to study french and spanish despite them being the most common combinations but I'd also want to continue with mandarin chinese but I'm not sure if it is possible to study three languages !
But then she'd have all the languages :rofl: you can have German :smile: your loyal here too :ahee:

I haven't seen a French speaker here in ages:frown: or Italian...
Constant does French a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶n̶g̶u̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dougieowner
Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, but it looks good fun because everyone loves languages here! I just think the word "polyglot" on its own sounds cool! :L

I know I'm new, but I'll happy be a representative for Spanish! I'm hoping that I'll get an A* at GCSE, and I also plan to take it on for A-Level. And I slightly prefer it to French so it'd make more sense to sign up for Spanish. :smile:

Hi, que eres muy bien con español pero quiero alguien que puede * help people with more complex issues?

If you don't mind me waiting a while?
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Are there any possible Oxbridge applicants here for MML or other language-related combination ?
Um, I printed off an Oxford languages admissions paper when I was procrastinating, and got my tutor to mark it, but I wouldn't dream of applying!
But then she'd have all the languages :rofl: you can have German :smile: your loyal here too :ahee:

I haven't seen a French speaker here in ages:frown: or Italian...

In fact... I would indeed love to be french or spanish representative... I achieved both A* in IGCSE (for mock lol) but next year I will be studying italian A level alongside french and spanish so it'll be demanding but rewarding :smile:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Constant does French a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶n̶g̶u̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.

I wanted to distribute one language per user... But.... I guess 2 is fair... Especially as one is welsh!

Which would he prefer, French or Spanish?
Original post by AquisM

Would you like to be the Spanish Rep?
Um, I printed off an Oxford languages admissions paper when I was procrastinating, and got my tutor to mark it, but I wouldn't dream of applying!

Haha you're not the only one !!! I did an MLAT (modern language aptitude test) online whilst I was procrastinating but I'd have to say that i didn't do too badly... I don't know if my teachers or friends would laugh at me if I even think of trying so I'm too sure :frown: how did you do in the admissions paper then ?
I wanted to distribute one language per user... But.... I guess 2 is fair... Especially as one is welsh!

Which would he prefer, French or Spanish?
I dunno. Ask him?
Reply 2030
Lol I believe I still have another year to go but I do intend to study french and spanish despite them being the most common combinations but I'd also want to continue with mandarin chinese but I'm not sure if it is possible to study three languages !

Ooh, that's cool, and yes, yes you can do three! I've researched this! :ahee:
French - constantmeowage
Spanish - AquisM
Danish - Ronove
German - Octopus_Garden
Welsh - constantmeowage
Dutch - thatitootoo

For now... :smile:
Would you like to be the Spanish Rep?

I'd be a chinese mandarin rep? Lol it's not on your list of exquisite languages but adding more wouldn't cause further harm ? :smile:
I dunno. Ask him?

I put him down for French
I'd be a chinese mandarin rep? Lol it's not on your list of exquisite languages but adding more wouldn't cause further harm ? :smile:

Definitely!

I'll add to the OP
Original post by Vionar
Ooh, that's cool, and yes, yes you can do three! I've researched this! :ahee:

woooooohooooo .... I actually have to confess..... I would be doing my chinese mandarin gcse next year so therefore I would not be able to do it for A-level... would I still be able to pick it up as more or less ab initio? Alongside french and spanish at degree level? Or is that not possible as I have achieved chinese gcse?
Haha you're not the only one !!! I did an MLAT (modern language aptitude test) online whilst I was procrastinating but I'd have to say that i didn't do too badly... I don't know if my teachers or friends would laugh at me if I even think of trying so I'm too sure :frown: how did you do in the admissions paper then ?
Well, the artificial language bit was lots of fun, but I took ages over it- wouldn't have passed under timed conditions. I got stuck/bored half-way through the linguistics one on the aboriginal language.

The translations were fun, but I needed a dictionary, and my tutor spotted a few errors when I brought my attempts over. Unsurprisingly, perhaps!

You know, all you have to do, is copy the questions out, write your attempts underneath and take it to a tutor, and say you found some extension work on the internet. You don't have to say where it's from.
You're... You're... Are you Muslim?:eek:

Nope! :frown: sorry! I don't even have a language okay...

Sorry, the people above are very good at their respective languages. I'd have put myself forward for French (and I'm not too bad at it) and I'm not there so no:smile:

;D What about (Nombo?) for Russian...if it's any better than their German =L

I'm not an actual Muslim, I'm just a keen anthropologist :wink:
Reply 2037
woooooohooooo .... I actually have to confess..... I would be doing my chinese mandarin gcse next year so therefore I would not be able to do it for A-level... would I still be able to pick it up as more or less ab initio? Alongside french and spanish at degree level? Or is that not possible as I have achieved chinese gcse?

That's a bit annoying, but it would be fine, I doubt having a bit of extra knowledge wouldn't be of any harm!
Original post by thatitootoo
;D What about (Nombo?) for Russian...if it's any better than their German =L

I'm not an actual Muslim, I'm just a keen anthropologist :wink:

Nombo? They have to actually be on the thread xD
Hi, que eres muy bien con español pero quiero alguien que puede * help people with more complex issues?

If you don't mind me waiting a while?

Of course! I was thinking that as well, I just wondered, I'll still be around on the thread though because I love language discussions :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending