The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi, whats an advantage and disadvantage of Baron Cohens sample?
I detest Savage-Rumbaugh, it's the worst study.
hey guys so my teacher is a moron and didnt teach us any of the approaches, and they seem harder than i thought. how long do you think it will take me to learn all the approaches and perspectives? any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by random1234567

They don't just have 'normal' people to compare to but also the Tourettes sample to compare to which is another cognitive disorder affecting another part of the brain
Original post by leanne1996
Can you imagine if section B was sperry, savage rumbaugh and reicher and haslam hahahah! i think i would just close the paper and go to sleep woow

I would actually just look around and think **** lol
Reply 1325
Original post by Jess96
Going to end up with Social and Cognitive as our Section C's, just because they knew we wouldn't think we'd get them....

that w0uld be terrible! 0n0

but luckily it's pr0bably n0t g0ing t0 happen, because they've never d0ne the same appr0aches in a r0w; i guess it's s0mething like if pe0ple are retaking from january they w0uldn't want them t0 have an unfair advantage?

at least i h0pe s0, haha.

0h g0d

if that actually happens th0ugh

0h dear
Original post by molly.wishart
thankyou very much! hope biological approach comes up, i got told it would so i've done the most revision for it, good luck!

Aw you too sweetie :smile: yeah it should come up:colondollar:
Original post by EmilyLauren1994
Strengths and weaknesses of the psychodynamic approach anyone? I am using Holah but its just so long winded!

Strengths:
Deterministic - all behaviour is caused by the inner conflicts e.g thigpen and cleckley, lead to practical applications
Holistic - supports nature and nurture e.g freud developed through phalic stage but his behaviour was also effected by environment e.g the mother, in depth understanding

Weaknesses:
Largely reliant upon self reports e.g interviews with eve white and eve black, could give untruthful results so the approach may result in invalid results
May bring up ethical concerns e.g protection from harm as little hans will be labelled for being seen as fancying his mother due to oedipus complex, approach may cause psychological harm

:smile:
Original post by random1234567

A disadvantage is there was gender bias in the autistic and tourettes groups :biggrin:
Original post by EmilyLauren1994
They don't just have 'normal' people to compare to but also the Tourettes sample to compare to which is another cognitive disorder affecting another part of the brain

Strength of BC sample: involves two groups to compare with so receive a better understanding
Weakness of BC sample: unbalanced amounts of males and females in tourettes and autism groups, less generalisable as less applicable to female population
Original post by Skyscraper15
Wow you must have got full marks! We've never actually done a mock but I done a practise myself today and got an A :smile: but it was only 4 marks into an A so I need to go over more things:frown:

i got 22 out of 24 on section C so pretty good.. overall got 101 HOWEEEEEEVER i knew what studies and approaches were coming up so i knew what stuff to go over the most, so its not really representative of what i will get tomororw :frown: although it does show my capability!
guuuuys.. in the context to the paragraph, would the disadvantage of the physiological approach that i've stated be counted by the examiner?

A strength of the approach is that it is very objective as it’s based on the scientific model. It uses scientific methods to measure behaviour. For example, Maguire used MRI scans to measure the volume and structure of the brain in response to environmental demand. Dement and Kleitman used EEG and EOG scans to measure brain activity and eye movements. These methods all produce quantitative data, which is reliable and means that the results are valid as bias does not occur as it would if qualitative data was produced. However, these objective measurements do not produce qualitative data, so this approach relies on self-report and observational methods to understand reasoning as to why behaviour occurs. This in turn reduces the validity as observer bias or social desirability bias can occur.

just realised i forgot to use an example for this disadvantage.. i'd use Dement and Kleitman obviously though :smile:
Original post by jodie.irwin27
i got 22 out of 24 on section C so pretty good.. overall got 101 HOWEEEEEEVER i knew what studies and approaches were coming up so i knew what stuff to go over the most, so its not really representative of what i will get tomororw :frown: although it does show my capability!

Wow that's amazing! Ah I see but hopefully BC or Maguire or L+P come up tomorrow and Physiological approach or Behaviourist :smile: good luck tomorrow! How did you do so well on Section A if you don't mind me asking? I'm finding it quite challenging to remember it all :s-smilie:
Guys, which three studies do you think would come up for section B tomorrow? I think one of them could be Baron-Cohen.
Reply 1334
Could do, I think Maguire, BC and Sperry will come up or possibly S+B:colondollar:

Been looking at past papers, most of the studies have come up twice now, and some of the ones that have only came up once were in Jan's paper (Freud and T&C).

So I think of of these definitely should come up, they're the rest that have only appeared once (and in order of how likely, because of how far away they came up):
Baron Cohen -jan09
Sperry -jan11
Reicher&Haslam -jun11
Maguire -jun12
Reply 1335
I really hope R&H isn't in this one, I may cry.
Another we weren't taught was all the hypotheses for all 15 studies -.- WHY WHY WHYYYY
Original post by molly.wishart
thankyou very much! hope biological approach comes up, i got told it would so i've done the most revision for it, good luck!

Me too id be dissapointed if it doesnt come up :frown:
A disadvantage is there was gender bias in the autistic and tourettes groups :biggrin:

Nice thanks :wink:
Wow that's amazing! Ah I see but hopefully BC or Maguire or L+P come up tomorrow and Physiological approach or Behaviourist :smile: good luck tomorrow! How did you do so well on Section A if you don't mind me asking? I'm finding it quite challenging to remember it all :s-smilie:

i have no. absolute. idea!! i surprised myself by how much knowledge on the studies i've acquired and kept. I was able to write the whole of Bandura's study out a couple of days ago, without looking at my notes. I hadn't revised it in so long.. the only thing i got wrong was the sample. Thank god i can retain info easily! (as it appears anyway)

ahh good luck to you tomorrow too! don't worry, i'm sure you'll be surprised by how much you remember too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending