The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
19 weeks is a bit misleading, because there's a couple of weeks where I'm going to two places in one day, so they're sort of being double counted :colondollar: The dairy farm only need me in the afternoon so I'm going to be going to my urban farm in the morning. In reality it's going to be 15 afternoons dairy, 35 days stable and ~50 days urban farm (14 of those half days so really closer to 43) I don't even know how many weeks that would be any more :tongue:

In my experience, farms are the placements least concerned with your age. I was never asked when phoning up/writing in for farm work. The stable took people as young as 10, my farm takes people as young as 11 and the dairy farm mentioned having someone there who was 15 so I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance. You seem like a mature and competent young lady so I'm sure any place would love to have you :h:

Wow that's going to be one busy summer! That's pretty awesome that you have managed to get all this experience, especially living in London! And that's great news! I will definitely be finding more farms to contact now! I think I've decided I'm going to spend the summer with my grandparents in England, they live right in the countryside and seem to know a lot of farmers, which is perfect! Also, now that I have come back from Rwanda I have somehow forgotten how adorable rabbits are, and now that I'm back I can't stop sitting with my rabbits and just watching them! :rolleyes: Right now Roberta has a wee tufty bit around her neck, which is too cute to handle. When I got rabbits I didn't realise how hard to handle the cuteness was. Thank you for the sentence at the end by the way, you're making me blush! :blushing:
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Wow that's going to be one busy summer! That's pretty awesome that you have managed to get all this experience, especially living in London! And that's great news! I will definitely be finding more farms to contact now! I think I've decided I'm going to spend the summer with my grandparents in England, they live right in the countryside and seem to know a lot of farmers, which is perfect! Also, now that I have come back from Rwanda I have somehow forgotten how adorable rabbits are, and now that I'm back I can't stop sitting with my rabbits and just watching them! :rolleyes: Right now Roberta has a wee tufty bit around her neck, which is too cute to handle. When I got rabbits I didn't realise how hard to handle the cuteness was. Thank you for the sentence at the end by the way, you're making me blush! :blushing:

Oh that's not all this summer :eek: ! No way I could cram all of that in :lol: ! All I have booked so far is the dairy and exotics vet, but I'll almost certainly be doing the stable work. I'm supposed to have written a CV to send to a LA vet but Tails is a lazy bum and she hasn't done it yet and I'm afraid that I may have missed my window of opportunity as those places get booked up very quickly :frown: . If the LA can't have me then I'll see if I can go to a local SA for a couple of weeks and see if I can get a LT placement from there...

Aside from all this vetty stuff I'm going on The Challenge, DofE, camping, going on a couple of hikes, going to take up jogging in the evenings, canoeing and possibly climbing/belaying if I get the chance. My personal goal is to not spend a single day at home over summer, so any 'spare' days I'll be going to the farm :h: . Busy indeed!

Heehee, bunnies are fuzzy wee things :biggrin: My pair are looking a bit shaggy as well, I think they're moulting in the hot weather. Did I ever put up picture on here of the baby bun-buns on the farm?
Oh that's not all this summer :eek: ! No way I could cram all of that in :lol: ! All I have booked so far is the dairy and exotics vet, but I'll almost certainly be doing the stable work. I'm supposed to have written a CV to send to a LA vet but Tails is a lazy bum and she hasn't done it yet and I'm afraid that I may have missed my window of opportunity as those places get booked up very quickly :frown: . If the LA can't have me then I'll see if I can go to a local SA for a couple of weeks and see if I can get a LT placement from there...

Aside from all this vetty stuff I'm going on The Challenge, DofE, camping, going on a couple of hikes, going to take up jogging in the evenings, canoeing and possibly climbing/belaying if I get the chance. My personal goal is to not spend a single day at home over summer, so any 'spare' days I'll be going to the farm :h: . Busy indeed!

Heehee, bunnies are fuzzy wee things :biggrin: My pair are looking a bit shaggy as well, I think they're moulting in the hot weather. Did I ever put up picture on here of the baby bun-buns on the farm?

Oh haha! I was amazed! :biggrin: You can always try I guess, no harm in sending off your CV and if they say they are busy over summer you could book another holiday? :smile: A LA vet said I could come back next year when I turn 16, which I am so so pleased about. Just need farm-y stuff now!! Ok seriously going to steal that idea! I spend to much time in the holidays at home bored. I think the cattery are eager to have me come in during the holidays so I think I'll be spending a lot of time there! Also if I have days off I can probably go into the SA vets if they let me? Hmm this has given me wonderful ideas! :excited: Aww! I need to get some pictures up of my wee rabbits, maybe when they have lost a bit of weight... My brother had to look after them while I was in Rwanda and I think they were pretty spoilt. Yeah I'll blame him in the next vet visit :rolleyes: Before May we had tons of bad weather and they didn't get to go outside much, poor things! :frown: Now they are out pretty much all day, and seem to be loving it! I'm a bit rabbit crazy as you might notice. :biggrin:
Reply 1203
My personal goal is to not spend a single day at home over summer, so any 'spare' days I'll be going to the farm :h: . Busy indeed!

That's such a good idea! I might have to steal that and I always feel like my holidays are wasted! All I need to do now is hunt around for things to do :biggrin: I'll probably spend most the time at the kennels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh haha! I was amazed! :biggrin: You can always try I guess, no harm in sending off your CV and if they say they are busy over summer you could book another holiday? :smile: A LA vet said I could come back next year when I turn 16, which I am so so pleased about. Just need farm-y stuff now!! Ok seriously going to steal that idea! I spend to much time in the holidays at home bored. I think the cattery are eager to have me come in during the holidays so I think I'll be spending a lot of time there! Also if I have days off I can probably go into the SA vets if they let me? Hmm this has given me wonderful ideas! :excited: Aww! I need to get some pictures up of my wee rabbits, maybe when they have lost a bit of weight... My brother had to look after them while I was in Rwanda and I think they were pretty spoilt. Yeah I'll blame him in the next vet visit :rolleyes: Before May we had tons of bad weather and they didn't get to go outside much, poor things! :frown: Now they are out pretty much all day, and seem to be loving it! I'm a bit rabbit crazy as you might notice. :biggrin:

Yeah, I should send off my CV shouldn't I. It would be handy if I'd actually got round to writing one though. I'm planning on doing it this weekend but in reality it's unlikely to actually get done as I'm on the farm both days. The thought of the weekend is literally the only thing pulling me through this week. Exams are eating me up completely, I had two English exams and geography today, and tomorrow I have my final RS and physics exams and I have some on Thursday too. It's a struggle, but when this week is over I'll only have one left. Almost there. :redface:

I literally wasted my summer last year (hence why I'm so behind now :grumble: ) I honestly can't explain what I did other than go to 24, spend two weeks on a stable and go into Central a few times :s-smilie:

Holly, you should know as well as anyone that rabbit ramblings are always wanted here :biggrin: I've found the pics of the wee babies!
rabbit 2.jpg rabbit 3.jpg rabbit 1.jpg rabbit.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sophjeff
That's such a good idea! I might have to steal that and I always feel like my holidays are wasted! All I need to do now is hunt around for things to do :biggrin: I'll probably spend most the time at the kennels

I wish I'd done it last year though! :biggrin: If I manage to keep it up I might continue beyond September, although I might give myself a bit of slack with 'the rules' :tongue: Like, this summer I won't count nipping down to the shops to fetch the milk as 'going out', but when school starts again I might let myself have a 'day off' once per week where I can get away with a 20 minute walk around the block. We'll see :redface: .
Yeah, I should send off my CV shouldn't I. It would be handy if I'd actually got round to writing one though. I'm planning on doing it this weekend but in reality it's unlikely to actually get done as I'm on the farm both days. The thought of the weekend is literally the only thing pulling me through this week. Exams are eating me up completely, I had two English exams and geography today, and tomorrow I have my final RS and physics exams and I have some on Thursday too. It's a struggle, but when this week is over I'll only have one left. Almost there. :redface:

I literally wasted my summer last year (hence why I'm so behind now :grumble: ) I honestly can't explain what I did other than go to 24, spend two weeks on a stable and go into Central a few times :s-smilie:

Holly, you should know as well as anyone that rabbit ramblings are always wanted here :biggrin: I've found the pics of the wee babies!
rabbit 2.jpg rabbit 3.jpg rabbit 1.jpg rabbit.jpg
That third picture is just...awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! :bunny: In Rwanda we saw some little white rabbits, who were pretty confident too! It was quite sad seeing them though but let's not go into that! :frown: The place where I bought my rabbits and get my food from breed rabbits and guinea pigs, and seeing hour old guinea pigs isn't unusual :redface: Baby rabbits too! Those pictures are just adorable :biggrin:
That third picture is just...awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! :bunny: In Rwanda we saw some little white rabbits, who were pretty confident too! It was quite sad seeing them though but let's not go into that! :frown: The place where I bought my rabbits and get my food from breed rabbits and guinea pigs, and seeing hour old guinea pigs isn't unusual :redface: Baby rabbits too! Those pictures are just adorable :biggrin:

I'm guessing they were for food, those rabbits? :colondollar:

Hour old guineas sound cute, but isn't there somewhere for their mother to hide them? :s-smilie: We had some baby guineas at the farm to replace old Bill and Ben (old age caught up with them :frown: ), and gosh do they move fast! :biggrin:

I'll take some more photos this weekend if it's not too busy there :biggrin: The one in the third picture is my favourite (but don't tell the others! :shh: :wink: )

(edited 10 years ago)
I'm guessing they were for food, those rabbits? :colondollar:

Hour old guineas sound cute, but isn't there somewhere for their mother to hide them? :s-smilie: We had some baby guineas at the farm to replace old Bill and Ben (old age caught up with them :frown: ), and gosh do they move fast! :biggrin:

I'll take some more photos this weekend if it's not too busy there :biggrin: The one in the third picture is my favourite (but don't tell the others! :shh: :wink: )

Yeah, I don't mind eating meat, more the conditions they were kept in. I didn't really get a good look around though and to be honest, over there that is probably the least of their worries. :s-smilie: They were in their own little pen in a nest, but I'm not sure about that :s-smilie: From what I saw the guinea pigs were happy enough though, I'm no expert! The vet said my rabbits looked good enough for shows so I think the breeder is pretty good, but then again, my rabbits are beautiful :wink: Not biased at all...
Reply 1209
Was just wondering whether any of you have read the book trust me, I'm a vet? And if you think it is any good? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I don't mind eating meat, more the conditions they were kept in. I didn't really get a good look around though and to be honest, over there that is probably the least of their worries. :s-smilie: They were in their own little pen in a nest, but I'm not sure about that :s-smilie: From what I saw the guinea pigs were happy enough though, I'm no expert! The vet said my rabbits looked good enough for shows so I think the breeder is pretty good, but then again, my rabbits are beautiful :wink: Not biased at all...

Hmm, it's a dilemma. On one hand housing animals in unacceptable conditions isn't okay, but as you say animal welfare probably isn't their highest priority. I think you're right, it's best to turn a bit of a blind eye to it :s-smilie:. As long as they're fed and watered and given some sort of shelter I suppose it can be justified.

If they look fine then fair enough :tongue:

My vets have told me that as well :lol: I don't think I ever would actually show mine though. Another time a vet said that my ones have the 'cleanest bunny bottoms she's ever seen'. Cream of course then decided one week later to get an infection down there that meant she became filthy and her whole stomach and rear end had to be shaved. She's perfectly fine now :smile: , but poor Cream Bun was not impressed at the time! :tongue:

Was just wondering whether any of you have read the book trust me, I'm a vet? And if you think it is any good? :smile:

I can't say I've read that I'm afraid :nah: . What is it, an autobiography type thing? I'd recommend The Vet: The Big Wild World by Luke Gamble if you're looking for something vetty to read :h:
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I LOVE THAT SERIES!!!! Umm... they're not really good for vet experience as its a fiction book but i would recommend it as there are some good vet scenes in it!

Its an amazing love story that runs through the series about two vets falling in love :smile:
Reply 1212
Original post by CloUpsidedown
I LOVE THAT SERIES!!!! Umm... they're not really good for vet experience as its a fiction book but i would recommend it as there are some good vet scenes in it!

Its an amazing love story that runs through the series about two vets falling in love :smile:

Haha FINALLY SOMEONE WHO HAS READ THEM! I was on about them to my friends but they just thought I was weird that I found a book about vets falling in love good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CloUpsidedown

Not vet related, but how did you find geography today? :smile:
Reply 1214
Did you guys do the aqa geography exam today as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you guys do the aqa geography exam today as well?

Yeah, the Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Coastal Zones units. You?
Reply 1216
Yeah, the Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Coastal Zones units. You?

Yeah exact same ones as me! How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exact same ones as me! How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh, it was alright :s-smilie: I think I mucked up a few questions though. Just my luck that all the case studies that I was least confident with came up (I was hoping for fold mountains and MEDC volcanic eruptions and floods and salt marshes. Sod's law :rolleyes: ) . I still managed to cram quite a few in though, if I remember correctly I used the Indian ocean tsunami, Montserrat, Three Gorges dam, lake Vyrnwy, Barton-on-Sea and Minehead, so hopefully that's enough. For the tsunami I completely made up statistics and in the gorge question I failed to mention waterfalls because I'm an imbecile, but other than that I think I should be okay. Hopefully I'll get an A, but I doubt an A* is still within reach sadly.
Hmm, it's a dilemma. On one hand housing animals in unacceptable conditions isn't okay, but as you say animal welfare probably isn't their highest priority. I think you're right, it's best to turn a bit of a blind eye to it :s-smilie:. As long as they're fed and watered and given some sort of shelter I suppose it can be justified.

If they look fine then fair enough :tongue:

My vets have told me that as well :lol: I don't think I ever would actually show mine though. Another time a vet said that my ones have the 'cleanest bunny bottoms she's ever seen'. Cream of course then decided one week later to get an infection down there that meant she became filthy and her whole stomach and rear end had to be shaved. She's perfectly fine now :smile: , but poor Cream Bun was not impressed at the time! :tongue:

I can't say I've read that I'm afraid :nah: . What is it, an autobiography type thing? I'd recommend The Vet: The Big Wild World by Luke Gamble if you're looking for something vetty to read :h:

I actually think the conditions are alright :smile: Otherwise, I don't think I would feel comfortable buying from them, as I get all my hay and things from them. The rabbits definitely have enough room and seem well looked after thankfully. He also seems to really care about them, pretty sure he had tears in his eyes when he handed over my Alice, he said she was such a sweet rabbit! :biggrin: I actually got from a breeder because I didn't really know much back then, other then don't get from pets at home! I think if I ever buy rabbits again then I will get from a shelter of some sort. I'm glad though in a way because as a first time rabbit owner, I think I am quite lucky to have easy (well...as easy as rabbits can be :rolleyes: ) to look after rabbits that are affectionate etc. I can't imagine having anyone else, well, unless it was as well as Alice and Berta! :h: I've done it again...my friends don't really like it when I go on about rabbits and vet stuff :frown: I wouldn't show my rabbits either, sounds too scary! :redface:
I bet you will do amazing in all your exams, and get all the results you hope for! Good luck for the remainder. My brother finally finished all his :biggrin:
I actually think the conditions are alright :smile: Otherwise, I don't think I would feel comfortable buying from them, as I get all my hay and things from them. The rabbits definitely have enough room and seem well looked after thankfully. He also seems to really care about them, pretty sure he had tears in his eyes when he handed over my Alice, he said she was such a sweet rabbit! :biggrin: I actually got from a breeder because I didn't really know much back then, other then don't get from pets at home! I think if I ever buy rabbits again then I will get from a shelter of some sort. I'm glad though in a way because as a first time rabbit owner, I think I am quite lucky to have easy (well...as easy as rabbits can be :rolleyes: ) to look after rabbits that are affectionate etc. I can't imagine having anyone else, well, unless it was as well as Alice and Berta! :h: I've done it again...my friends don't really like it when I go on about rabbits and vet stuff :frown: I wouldn't show my rabbits either, sounds too scary! :redface:
I bet you will do amazing in all your exams, and get all the results you hope for! Good luck for the remainder. My brother finally finished all his :biggrin:

Aww, that's sweet :h: I prefer to buy my pet supplies from small shops but they're all closing down round here!

Pets at Home is just... arrrggg :rolleyes: . I suppose I should be thankful that I got a week of WEx there but their attitude just pisses me off. Two of my ratties were actually indirectly from there... someone bought three 'male' rats from P@H. As you may have guessed, one of the 'bucks' turned out to be a doe, and she had a litter and was pregnant again before the owner even noticed :rolleyes: . Anyway, she gave all of her rats up to a local breeder, who then got in touch with other breeders across the country, one of which being the one I had my name on a waiting list for kittens from. I bought Rin and Kismet home in August 2011 and I'm so glad I did :love: Sadly we lost Kissy in December but Rinny continues to be the world's lickiest, friendliest, most loving rat in the world, and I absolutely love her to pieces (and her cagemates Ruby and Dora too of course :h: . )

So, I shouldn't really complain about P@H, because if it weren't for them Kissy and Wriggly Rin would never have been born, but at the same time, male rats are quite well endowed. It ain't hard to tell 'em apart from the girlies :wink:

My friends are exactly the same, none of them have any pets and most have no interest in animals at all! :tongue:

Thank you :h: I have four left now, RS, physics, ICT and finally geography. They've gone quickly!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending