The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by MathsNerd1
Well I'll have about 3-4 days to focus on Unit 5 and a week after to focus on Unit 4 so I'll just learn them very briefly. Same with some definitions as I'll not be able to fully learn them in the time frame I have left so it'll just be a mad dash for me really. As for the precipitation colours I'm sure there are only 4 we actually need to know, only 4 ligand substitution ones too and about 12-15 colours but you should already know about half of these from the past two years really. Best of luck with the exams and hopefully we'll be able to nail these two, that's if you go ahead to do it again :biggrin:

Sorry which 12-15 colours are you talking about?
Reply 1321
Original post by H0ls
Depends? Chem 5 is my last exam so I won't be looking in depth into everything until Thursday night. Gives me a full six days to do nothing but Chemistry. I've made flash cards already and learnt my formulas as well as completing every new spec past paper, however the past papers were done with school so that was like prior to May 17th ahah.

I'd be slightly worried if you have a couple of other exams to focus on too.

You've scared me now :frown: I have biology retake and geography before the Chem 5 exam and then and other geography and biol 5 before the chem 4 retake exam! Really need A's!! But you've majorly stressed me out- maybe I don't have enough time to do all the past papers??! :frown: :frown:

why the neggs??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emah123
Sorry which 12-15 colours are you talking about?

It could be less but there's Vanadium in the 2+, 3+, 4+ and 5+ state. We also have Chromium in the 2+, 3+ and 6+ state. There's Manganese in the 2+ and 7+ state. There's Iron in the 2+ and 3+ state. There's Copper in the 2+ state. There's Cobalt in the 2+ and 3+ state and Nickel in the 2+ state, I'm probably forgetting one somewhere and to find out the colours they're on the second page of the 3rd module in the textbook :smile:
Reply 1323
Original post by emah123
You've scared me now :frown: I have biology retake and geography before the Chem 5 exam and then and other geography and biol 5 before the chem 4 retake exam! Really need A's!! But you've majorly stressed me out- maybe I don't have enough time to do all the past papers??! :frown: :frown:

Noo.. I didn't mean to stress you at all. There's no point doing the exam papers super early like I did at all. I'm just saying, be certain that you'll get through a good few. The maths needed to work out certain stuff is not as explicitly stated in the questions before, takes a while to sometimes figure out what to do!
It could be less but there's Vanadium in the 2+, 3+, 4+ and 5+ state. We also have Chromium in the 2+, 3+ and 6+ state. There's Manganese in the 2+ and 7+ state. There's Iron in the 2+ and 3+ state. There's Copper in the 2+ state. There's Cobalt in the 2+ and 3+ state and Nickel in the 2+ state, I'm probably forgetting one somewhere and to find out the colours they're on the second page of the 3rd module in the textbook :smile:

Don't worry we aren'ty meant to know all of those colours! We are only meant to know the colour changes in precipitation reactions and ligand substitutions
Original post by chignesh10
Don't worry we aren'ty meant to know all of those colours! We are only meant to know the colour changes in precipitation reactions and ligand substitutions

Is that it? My god that's hardly anything then! I already know all the Manganese, Copper, Iron, Chromium, Cobalt and Nickel colours from the past 2 years really, so there was only Vanadium that was left to just look at the minute before I go into the exam, along with a few definitions like Standard electrode potential, etc. I'm starting to feel like I could ace anything that were to show up :biggrin:
Is that it? My god that's hardly anything then! I already know all the Manganese, Copper, Iron, Chromium, Cobalt and Nickel colours from the past 2 years really, so there was only Vanadium that was left to just look at the minute before I go into the exam, along with a few definitions like Standard electrode potential, etc. I'm starting to feel like I could ace anything that were to show up :biggrin:

Yeah i have gone through the syllabus like 6 times now and made sure what colour changes there are, i am sure we don't need to learn them!
Yeah i have gone through the syllabus like 6 times now and made sure what colour changes there are, i am sure we don't need to learn them!

That just makes everything so much easier and no transition metal/element question should be able to catch me out now, thanks :biggrin:
That just makes everything so much easier and no transition metal/element question should be able to catch me out now, thanks :biggrin:

I really liked the chemistry questions , thank you for uploading them, will finish them all by tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by otrivine
I really liked the chemistry questions , thank you for uploading them, will finish them all by tomorrow :biggrin:

It's all good as I feel the ones in the exam can't get any harder than those and they're pretty logical, I rather liked the water of crystallisation to work out x, I'm going to head up now and hopefully I'll have those questions done by Friday, maybe even Thursday afternoon. Night :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all good as I feel the ones in the exam can't get any harder than those and they're pretty logical, I rather liked the water of crystallisation to work out x, I'm going to head up now and hopefully I'll have those questions done by Friday, maybe even Thursday afternoon. Night :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes true :smile:
Can anyone confirm this on page 127, the graph that shows the concentration of N2O4 and NO2 until equilibrium is achieved, is this graph showing the forward reaction ?
Reply 1332
Hi, how are you preparing for this exam?
Have you done all the papers? What else are you doing....need to know how future imperial chemists work :wink:

Just loads of reading on the stuff outside the text book, I have a couple of my cousins first year chemistry textbooks (he did biology or something, but had a few modules on chemistry). And then loads of questions!
Reply 1333
Original post by Better
Thanks Funtry! Yes I went over Question 8 with my Teacher, in some ways it was actually easier than the Previous years, because you only really had to create 1 Equation, and then just do Maths rather than create like 3-4 equations.

If you have any tips on those Equations I got wrong though please advise..

My Teacher said this: "the mistakes you made are only mistakes that aren't really on the syllabus, even if you had another 3 months we wouldn't cover this, a lot of it, is really just working through it like a puzzle from fundamentals"

Can you explain your type of mindset when your doing the Chem Questions? Think this is what I really must nail then in the next few days to be at a Peak and have what the Examiners reports described as a "Chemical Flair"

I really don't know, I just sort of have learned the equations and then think through similar ones logically. Always look at oxidation states I guess?

About the fifth person ive said this too, but just make sure you read through the whole question, each word step by step, just in case there's a little snippet of information you would have missed out on if you just take the question at face value, by say just reading the equation etc.
Original post by Funtry
Just loads of reading on the stuff outside the text book, I have a couple of my cousins first year chemistry textbooks (he did biology or something, but had a few modules on chemistry). And then loads of questions!

Ah thats pretty good, preparing for first year chemistry at the same time as revising
Reply 1335
Original post by Funtry
I really don't know, I just sort of have learned the equations and then think through similar ones logically. Always look at oxidation states I guess?

About the fifth person ive said this too, but just make sure you read through the whole question, each word step by step, just in case there's a little snippet of information you would have missed out on if you just take the question at face value, by say just reading the equation etc.

Okay cheers, I spoke to my friend doing Physics at Uni who is literally the most incredible crammer of all time. He taught me a trick which you probably already do without realising it.

He said that if I see something odd/challenging
1. First stop and think of all relating Theory/Equations, that on the syllabus.
2. Write a few things that are relevant, the first things that jot to my mind
3. He said most of the time the first thing I think of is probably the right way to do it so just have the confidence to go for it.

My Physics Teacher said the same thing, he said most of the time I am thinking it will be more complicated than it really is. He marked my January 2013 Paper extremely strictly (he said he marked it stricter than an Examiner will) and he said if I just STOP and think, and then go for the answer which makes sense to me logically than 90% of the time I will get the answer.

About to do June 2012 my last paper. Prepped myself on the Theory and will take a break and then give it to my Chemistry Teacher to mark for Feedback.

I will report back on how it goes using your Technique.

Thanks again for taking the time everybody to give help. I really do appreciate it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah thats pretty good, preparing for first year chemistry at the same time as revising

Can anyone confirm this on page 127, the graph that shows the concentration of N2O4 and NO2 until equilibrium is achieved, is this graph showing the forward reaction ?
Can some one link the jan 2013 paper and mark scheme?
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Can some one link the jan 2013 paper and mark scheme?

it's not in the textbook or the spec though?
Original post by master y
it's not in the textbook or the spec though?

What drugs are you taking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending