Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by posthumus
Guys...

w = lamda D / s

^ Is this for single slits

dsing() = n lamda

^ & this is for double slits & diffraction gratings :confused:

I've probably got this wrong... so could anyone clear up my confusion please :smile:

Thanks in advance !

The first on is for diffraction where fringes are visible. So diffracting light through two slits etc.

Second one is for a diffraction grating.
Original post by Felix Ivers
Is the fringe spacing the distance between the centre of a maximum to the centre next maximum along or the centre of a maximum to the centre minimum next to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty sure its centre maximum to centre maximum
True I could, it just seems impractical to use a 102g mass, but then again, I'm not actually doing the practical, just writing about it; not my problem :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NabRoh
The first on is for diffraction where fringes are visible. So diffracting light through two slits etc.

Second one is for a diffraction grating.

Thanks for the response :biggrin: So the first one is for both single & double slits ? :smile:
i'm off for a shower, will probably be back for a bit more revision and then bedtime
This thread is awesome.... Sorry my answer has been answered by a previous reply :smile:
Original post by Jack93o
pretty sure its centre maximum to centre maximum

Yeah that would make sense, cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody have any clues on whats most likely to come up??

Suggestions would be nice :smile:

Thankyou

Thankyou
ok. Lets see if people can answer this question. It is quiet a bad question to come in the exam tomorrow. I did appear before I remember. Q: Distinguish between stationary and progressive waves. :smile:
Reply 1390
Original post by posthumus
Thanks for the response :biggrin: So the first one is for both single & double slits ? :smile:

Yep. It would be more obvious with data in front of you.
If they are giving you distance from slits to screen and the like then you should use the first one. As that is the only one that has that variable!
Original post by R10T_N0_B0UNTY

Thankyou

Hmm I have a really bad feeling that some physics might come up! :wink:
Do the double slits come before or after the single slit?

Brain is slowly losing its memory xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R10T_N0_B0UNTY

Thankyou

no time for prediction now. :smile: Good luck!
Original post by NabRoh
Yep. It would be more obvious with data in front of you.
If they are giving you distance from slits to screen and the like then you should use the first one. As that is the only one that has that variable!

Thank you very much :smile: Attempting to learn everything in one night :tongue: May not sleep... I did sit M1 last month so I'm not going to go through mechanics
Original post by StalkeR47
ok. Lets see if people can answer this question. It is quiet a bad question to come in the exam tomorrow. I did appear before I remember. Q: Distinguish between stationary and progressive waves. :smile:

A progressive wave travels in space whereas a stationary wave is fixed at 2 ends causing it to reflect and produce 2 interfering waves with a fixed number of nodes and antipodes dependant on frequency?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1396
Can someone please draw the patterns you get (the graph with intensity) and the fringes for single slit double slit and diffraction grating

I reckon somethng like that might actually come up you know. But how much would it be worth? So you would say that one transfers energy the other one doesnt? One travels whilst one is stationary? One is the result of superposition? And so on...
When you do the double slit do you always have to include the first single slit?

stationary transfer no energy and are formed by two waves of similar amplitude, frequency and wavelength being superposed, e.g from being reflected back onto each other

progressive waves transfer energy - longitudinal energy is transferred parallel to direction of travel of wave

transverse - energy transferred perpendicular to the direction of travel of wave

how many marks was it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending