The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone by any chance somehow have the Jan 2013 geog3 mark scheme?
Original post by AndyD95
Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for what the 7/8/10 mark questions might be on in the Globalisation and Development topic? I'm set on doing a Plate Tectonics essay, because that's the only topic I really enjoyed at A2. I was also taught Ecosystems and World Cities, but the latter is such a bitch of a topic I'm just not going to revise it at all.

Same but I'm defo doing ecosystems.
G+D -
- Trade v aid possibly although types of aid came up in Jan so
- Impacts of new markets ad tech
- TNC enviro impacts (+social and economic because just that would be a bit dry) as well as impacts to specifically host/home,
- LDCs
- Measuring development
- Development continuum + N/S divide
- Growth of NICs
- Impact of TNCs on global economy

overall I'm leaning towards trade v aid or development being one (although I hope not I find it a bit dry) although they might surprise and put something that's come up before.
What are your ideal question to come up?
Reply 1842
Original post by cobrien486
Does anyone by any chance somehow have the Jan 2013 geog3 mark scheme?

I don't think anyone has it. its been asked many times :P
For the globalisation and development topic do you think they could ask anything other than characteristics and issues for LDCs and also what does this entail??
could they ask to critically analyse development? or measuring development?
Original post by MrProff
Not particularly, I'm writing it up at the moment, I guess you could link it to sustainability or maybe something to do with Mexico City for example, developing countries wanting to use cars now as the country as a whole becomes more affluent, and this results in a lot of greenhouse gas emissions, you could also look at cities such as Manila or Chongquing and their pollution problems and maybe compare them to MEDCs or sustainable cities such as Curitiba in Brazil. Bristol (where I live) plans to put in a Light Transit Rail system to alleviate these congestion problems, and MEDCs are tending toward public transport, and as I said before, developing countries want to use cars as the western world did during the 70s - 90s.

Anyone else think of anything? :biggrin:

Oh thanks I like that point about developing countries wanting to become more westernised!! I'm comparing Rio de Janeiro and London
Original post by Jack_lufc
Hi guys, I need 78 out of 120 UMS to get a B overall. Does anybody know roughly how many raw marks this is?

78/120 = 65% UMS ie. Mid C, so you will need around 46-49 marks out of 90 = 52-55% Raw
Reply 1846
predictions for globalisation and development essay anyone? i'm thinking possibly TNCs?
Reply 1847
Original post by Econ1994
predictions for globalisation and development essay anyone? i'm thinking possibly TNCs?

i hope we get TNCs or even LDCs! just no sustainability!!!!!
Original post by maxbillson
I have to do tectonics! Jan 13 and Jun 12 both were about volcanicity, they won't do it for three papers in a row will they? Surely not...

For your sake, I hope not.
Original post by V95

If nothing else surely you have to bring sustainability up at a point for evaluation? Or do you just not want the whole essay to be about it?
Reply 1850
I got 155 UMS, and would like to get an A...Anyone wanna help me calculate the minimum raw marks needed in unit 3 for an Overall A? (Assuming i scrape A in Unit4A)
Reply 1851
Original post by Dr DaMan
If nothing else surely you have to bring sustainability up at a point for evaluation? Or do you just not want the whole essay to be about it?

the whole essay! mentioning it in another essay is fine, but i couldn't do a 40 marker on it, especially not on sustainable tourism!
I need a nice way to introduce a case study in a 10 mark question where you are supposed to name one case study. I tend to say "A good example of..." anyone got better ideas? thanks - Also does a conflict involving just 2 countries considered international? Please be pretty certain before answering :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
I need a nice way to introduce a case study in a 10 mark question where you are supposed to name one case study. I tend to say "A good example of..." anyone got better ideas? thanks - Also does a conflict involving just 2 countries considered international? Please be pretty certain before answering :tongue:

'Causes of separatism are complex and convoluted....[lists causes]...In reality it is almost exclusively a combination of these factors. An illustration of this is the separatist movement in the Basque region of Northwest Spain and Southeast France' blah blah blah

If it involves more than one, it is international, 100%.
Reply 1854
if you had a 40 marker on LDCs, how would you structure it? general problems, case study 1 (a few paragraphs), case study 2 (a few paragraphs) or: problem 1 then use evidence of this problem from both case studys (around 1 or 2 lines), then problem 2 and another line or two from the case studies etc

thanks in advance!
Original post by V95

the specification states that you need only 1 case study for TNC's, but surely you need at least 2 for TNC's for it to come up in the 40 marker. my TNC ones are Walmart and Coke Cola.

LDC, its Bangladesh and Sudan

Sustainability is the most hardest, you need case studies from two contrasting areas in the world. In terms of tourism Australia, Morocco and Cuba
trade vs aid, i've only got 2 LEDC's, Bangladesh and Sudan and I might do Japan as a MEDC
economic vs enviornmental sustainability i've got Sarawak, but I need one for a developed country, any ideas? May be UK? In terms of biodiesel= high price economically unsustainable, but using biofuels as a subsistute for some of the diesel is enviornmentally sustainable? not sure on that.. but have i feeling its going to come up..

really doubt trade/aid and social grouping will come up, i dont think NIC's will either..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MSUddin
I got 155 UMS, and would like to get an A...Anyone wanna help me calculate the minimum raw marks needed in unit 3 for an Overall A? (Assuming i scrape A in Unit4A)

A in 4A will be 64/80 UMS
155 + 64 = 219
320 - 219 = 101
101/120 = 85% = mid A
So you will need around 62-65/90 or 69-73% Raw based on last 3 June exams
How much time would you say should be spent on the essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have got 227 UMS overall - what do I need to get a B in unit three?
Reply 1859
Does anyone have any GEOG4A skills note they can send me? Struggling as I have none and going to have to cram 4A :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending