The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everyone :smile: your best is all you can do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1361
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Good luck guys =)

Good luck to you too!!!

Can I ask you a question..? i hope i can exlain this properly...?

there is a part of titration questions i always mess up.. eg in the jan 2013 paper... Q20a)iv) I know i shouldve come to tsr to ask earlier but this is really stressin gme out last minute... so if anyone could pleaaaase help out...

Chlorine disinfectants are essentially solutions containing chlorine molecules and
chlorate(I) ions in an equilibrium summarised by the equation
Cl2(aq) + H2O(l) 2H+(aq) + ClO(aq) + Cl(aq) Equation 1
The chlorine content of a disinfectant was determined using the following procedure.
1. 10.0 cm3 of the disinfectant was transferred to a 250 cm3 volumetric flask.
2. Approximately 20 cm3 of nitric acid and 20 cm3 potassium iodide solution (both in
excess) were added to the volumetric flask.
3. The solution in the volumetric flask was made up to the mark with distilled water
and then mixed thoroughly.
4. 10.0 cm3 portions of the solution in the volumetric flask were titrated against a
solution of sodium thiosulfate, concentration 0.109 mol dm. Starch solution was..........

(a) (i) Calculate the number of moles of sodium thiosulfate used in the titration.

(ii) Calculate the number of moles of iodine, I2, that reacted in the titration (step 4).

(iii) Hence state the number of moles of chlorine, Cl2, in 10.0 cm3 of the solution in
the volumetric flask. Here i got 1.48x10-3

(iv) Calculate the concentration of chlorine, in mol dm, in the original disinfectant.
not sure how to get the ans to this part..... mark scheme says you multiply the ans to part iii by 25 and then conc in 100 times this value but i dont understand whyyy Please helpp!

sorry ABOUT THE TYPOS.... IM JUST PANINKING NOW THATS WHY :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Good luck everyone.
Original post by edex123
since fluorine is not bonded to a hydrogen atom in fluoromethane

But that is not a condition??
What about ketones,aldehydes??? How do they dissolve without an electropositive hydrogen?

I think its because of the strong solute forces in fluoromethan?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1634651
Reply 1364
Original post by Khurc003
Good luck to you too!!!

Can I ask you a question..? i hope i can exlain this properly...?

there is a part of titration questions i always mess up.. eg in the jan 2013 paper... Q20a)iv) I know i shouldve come to tsr to ask earlier but this is really stressin gme out last minute... so if anyone could pleaaaase help out...

Chlorine disinfectants are essentially solutions containing chlorine molecules and
chlorate(I) ions in an equilibrium summarised by the equation
Cl2(aq) + H2O(l) 􀁕 2H+(aq) + ClOí¯€í³*(aq) + Clí¯€í³*(aq) Equation 1
The chlorine content of a disinfectant was determined using the following procedure.
1. 10.0 cm3 of the disinfectant was transferred to a 250 cm3 volumetric flask.
2. Approximately 20 cm3 of nitric acid and 20 cm3 potassium iodide solution (both in
excess) were added to the volumetric flask.
3. The solution in the volumetric flask was made up to the mark with distilled water
and then mixed thoroughly.
4. 10.0 cm3 portions of the solution in the volumetric flask were titrated against a
solution of sodium thiosulfate, concentration 0.109 mol dmí¯€í³*􀀖. Starch solution was..........

(a) (i) Calculate the number of moles of sodium thiosulfate used in the titration.

(ii) Calculate the number of moles of iodine, I2, that reacted in the titration (step 4).

(iii) Hence state the number of moles of chlorine, Cl2, in 10.0 cm3 of the solution in
the volumetric flask. Here i got 1.48x10-3

(iv) Calculate the concentration of chlorine, in mol dmí¯€í³*􀀖, in the original disinfectant.
not sure how to get the ans to this part..... mark scheme says you multiply the ans to part iii by 25 and then conc in 100 times this value but i dont understand whyyy Please helpp!

sorry ABOUT THE TYPOS.... IM JUST PANINKING NOW THATS WHY :frown:

Because
Conc. is moles over volume
The moles you work out as 6.05 to the -4
The original volume was 25cm3. But you want the conc. in moles per dm3. As 1000cm3 give 1 dm3, you divide the moles by 25 over 1000. This is the same as times by 1000 and multiply by 25.

Posted from the TSR iPad app
Reply 1365
Original post by Tuya
Because
The original volume was 25cm3. But you want the conc. in moles per dm3. As 1000cm3 give 1 dm3, you divide the moles by 25 over 1000. This is the same as times by 1000 and multiply by 25.

Thankyou soo much for the quick reply! but where did u get 6.05 to the -4 from? :confused:
Reply 1366
Original post by Khurc003
Thankyou soo much for the quick reply! but where did u get 6.05 to the -4 from? :confused:

.05 x 24.2 x 10-3 x .5
I have no idea how I got hose either, as I did this a few days back. But form my working I can see that I used the conc. formula I mentioned, and get .5 is because of the ratio to which the ions react I suspect, as there is half as many moles as clo or something.

Reply 1367
Original post by Tuya
Because

I mean divide by 25 in the last sentence

Reply 1368
Original post by Tuya
I mean divide by 25 in the last sentence

:colondollar::biggrin:I think i get it now! Thank you ever so much!!
Good luck everyone! Hope it goes well! And thanks to everyone who helped me with my many questions along the way! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys how did u find the paper? Hard or easy?
Reply 1371
Hard
I couldn't finish. Left like 2 marks. :mad:
Easy
Original post by Sciencefella
Easy

Why does NaCl dissolve in water instead of alcohol?
Why does fullerene dissolve in petrol while graphite and diamond do not?

There was another question about carbon neutral that I don't think I answered right.
Reply 1375
compared to other past papers, hard. if you look at june 2011 the grade boundaries were 58 for A but i thought that paper was easier than this one tbh.
yh for the first time multiple choice was hard for me. i usually get 20/20 but this time god know. btw wtf is gas phase never heard that!!
paper wasnt that bad just abit gay but harder than other papers ive done.
Reply 1377
Original post by geor
That exam went so badly for me. I made so many stupid mistakes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt the same as well, there were quite a few application of knowledge questions. A lot of people in my school didn't like it :frown: Hoping that the grade boundaries aren't too high
The papers was so tricky and hard! i hope the grade boundaries are low..
For me, it wasn't hard at all. Just tricky. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending