The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Micheal123456
When mentioning that kinetic energy is converted In to gpe what else should u mention?

GPE is dependent on mass and the height because gpe=mgh. Mention that too. :smile:
Could someone run through polarisation please
You know what, it really wouldn't surprise me if they just decided to change it to a 9 marker just to be real see u next Tuesdays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a stationary wave:

Nodes are where the wave and reflected wave are antiphase
Antinodes are where the two waves are in phase

Is that right? All this time I've been thinking its the other way round!

Really hope the 6 marker is to describe an experiment to determine the Young's modulus......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StalkeR47
ok. Lets see if people can answer this question. It is quiet a bad question to come in the exam tomorrow. I did appear before I remember. Q: Distinguish between stationary and progressive waves. :smile:

stationary wave to not transfer energy, whereas progressive waves do
If there's a question like: a ball is dropped from a cliff 16 metres above the ground. How long does it take to hit the ground? Give your answer to an appropriate number of sf's. Would you give it to 2 or 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1466
What experiment u guys think is coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Felix Ivers
If there's a question like: a ball is dropped from a cliff 16 metres above the ground. How long does it take to hit the ground? Give your answer to an appropriate number of sf's. Would you give it to 2 or 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2. look at the question, if in doubt use 3
Reply 1468
could someone please explain June 2010 question 7c to me please? it's only one mark but I really don't understand how to get the answer thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by task
could someone please explain June 2010 question 7c to me please? it's only one mark but I really don't understand how to get the answer thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also 7d
Reply 1470
Original post by kinglj81
Hi guys can you help me with something..

I was wondering what you do for questions about slits and diffraction that say show what you see on the screen. Do you draw the intensity graph type thing or just band or dots

Also when you diffract white light through a grating how do you show that the inner side is violet and the outer is red. Is this done on the intensity graph?.

Anyone??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you would just label the colours, you don't have to label all of them, just blue/violet on one side and red on the other side of the fringe
Hello guys! I am awake! So, if you need help just ask. :smile:
I am available till 7am. You have 1 more hour left to ask for help.
Reply 1474
I am available till 7am. You have 1 more hour left to ask for help.

Is there anything in your opinion that will DEFINITELY come up? I don't mean in general, I mean anything specific :smile:
Reply 1475
Hello guys! I am awake! So, if you need help just ask. :smile:

morning! what is torque?
Original post by Talon279
Is there anything in your opinion that will DEFINITELY come up? I don't mean in general, I mean anything specific :smile:

well. It is hard to say but waves (transverse/progressive and stationary wave) might come up. Newton's law questions might come up. And, questions on refraction and reflection has always come up in the end so this could be another one eg, core-cladding fiber optic question. question on spring constant (parallel and in series) might come up as well. And finally, I am guessing a 6-marker to be an unexpected question like the one with unit 1.
Original post by SAS18
morning! what is torque?

The moment of a couple (opposite forces on the object on either sides parallel to each other) is referred to a torque.
Reply 1478
Original post by Felix Ivers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Felix! Revising at 1AM? Shame on you.

The question gives 2sf, so your answer is in 2sf. If it said 16.0m, it would be to 3sf.
Few points guys I made while doing the revision. Diffraction: is the spreading of waves when they pass through a gap or by an edge. Waves will spread more if; 1) the slit spacing is made narrower (intensity will be reduced), 2) the wavelength is made larger. dsintheta=n lambds is the equation for diffraction grating- maximum number of orders is given by d=n=d/lambda. Remember: Convert everything into m. If you are given a grating has 300 lines per mm, find how much it is for 1 line per m. so, 1/300x10^3 will give length of 1 line per m. dsintheta=n lambds (d=slit spacing, theta=fringe angle, n=order of peak. Double slit (young's modulus) is known as coherent since they emit waves with a constant phase difference and same frequency. Light from nearby sources will not produce an interference pattern because they emit waves at random position so constructive/destructive pattern could not be formed. Red light has the longest wavelength and the shortest frequency (opposite for blue light). Longer wavelength=grater fringe separation (since w=lambda D/s). Actually it is a lot more. It will take ages and I should have done it before. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending