The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
If you don't finish the course of antibiotics, not all the bacteria have been killed. The remaining bacteria may mutate to some may be resistant to the antibiotic. They reproduce. If you re given that antibiotic again, it won't work as they are now resistant to it. You will have to have a different form of antibiotic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma262
No, they become resistant by mutation, but obviously the more you use the antibiotics the more chance there is of this happening. If you don't use the antibiotics, there's less chance of a mutation occurring which might make a resistant strain which would then reproduce.... I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile: I said there's an increased likelihood of there being a mutation which causes it to be resistant
Reply 182
I really don't know where they're coming from on the herbicide question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any help on pros and cons of GM? Is it literally just the obvious:

pros - more profit e.g. increased yield, resistance from pests, more food e.g. in third world country
cons - may impact ecosystem/ other species, may impact human health, may result in 'GM babies' in many years to come

Is that the sort of things or do I need more than that?
The GM Crops may interbreed or compete with wild plants of the same species, making all of that species in that region GM. (Expands your 'impacting ecosystem')
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
The GM Crops may interbreed or compete with wild plants of the same species, making all of that species in that region GM. (Expands your 'impacting ecosystem')

Brilliant thanks! Feel sorry for year 10's who don't have the morning off on study leave, I'm quite lucky really as I can go through last minute things now.
Definitely. Annoying thing for me is that all of my exams are my first attempt. So if I **** up badly I'd have to do retake GCSE's post-secondary school. Probably won't happen though :biggrin:
Reply 187
Hey everyone,

If you all so wish, I will be more than happy to obtain the paper after they have been released to E-AQA. (So you can compare answers etc....)

Let me know what y'all think!
Definitely. Annoying thing for me is that all of my exams are my first attempt. So if I **** up badly I'd have to do retake GCSE's post-secondary school. Probably won't happen though :biggrin:

This is my first attempt at B1 but I've already done the other units and need to get something like 61 UMS to get an A overall in Core Science, in January that was 20/60 raw mark which I find shockingly low, obviously it depends on general performance this year but I'm not too concerned haha!
Reply 189
I really hope the six marker is not about the four stages of the menstrual cycle and instead on something easy like diet!!
Original post by Kieranc28
I really hope the six marker is not about the four stages of the menstrual cycle and instead on something easy like diet!!

Don't have a clue but my random guess is something like Darwin vs Lamarck perhaps, or maybe reflex action process. One I'd hate would be ways white blood cells respond to pathogens.
(edited 10 years ago)
If there is a 6 mark comparison question with information given. That's easy. 1 mark for conclusion, 4 maybe 5 for copying the info given and maybe 1 extra for personal knowledge.
Original post by Jackwtaylor
Don't have a clue but my random guess is something like Darwin vs Lamarck perhaps, or maybe reflex reaction process. One I'd hate would be ways white blood cells respond to pathogens.

I find WBC really easy, you just need to know 3 types

1) WBC ingest the pathogen, then release enzymes to digest it
2) WBC produce antibodies to attack and destroy the pathogen
3) WBC produce antitoxins to neutralise the effects of toxins released by the pathogen
If there is a 6 mark comparison question with information given. That's easy. 1 mark for conclusion, 4 maybe 5 for copying the info given and maybe 1 extra for personal knowledge.

I'd hate them to bring up Uncontaminated Cultures again, do you know if preparing those is the only 'experiment preparation' sort of thing we need to know or is there another?
Reply 194
I really hope it is a reflex action! I have a gut feeling its going to be about a balanced diet and exercise. Big chance of Darwin/Lamarck too.
Original post by demotivated
I find WBC really easy, you just need to know 3 types

1) WBC ingest the pathogen, then release enzymes to digest it
2) WBC produce antibodies to attack and destroy the pathogen
3) WBC produce antitoxins to neutralise the effects of toxins released by the pathogen

Is that all? I read something about antigens which I never understood.
Antigens are the things on the bacteria that the antibodies attach to. Each 'specie' of virus/bacteria has a unique antigen... thats how WBCs recognise and remember previous pathogens on their 2nd invasion.
Antigens are the things on the bacteria that the antibodies attach to. Each 'specie' of virus/bacteria has a unique antigen... thats how WBCs recognise and remember previous pathogens on their 2nd invasion.

Makes sense, thank you! Think I'm ready for this exam now
Reply 198
Is anyone a else a little bit nervous about the Igcse AQA biology paper 2? I just don't know what to expect in it!
Reply 199
Yeah I am really nervous!! There is so much that could come up!

Latest

Trending

Trending