The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by matthew mc I
how did you do . i did it their on the 24th may was very happy with it :smile:

I got 98, was very happy :smile: The only mark I lost was due to a definition, stupid words! Awesome, hopefully you'll get the mark you want then :smile: What Maths exams do you have this time then?
Reply 202
im having the exact same problem on question 4 june 2012, its disgusting. help would be appreciated
Reply 204
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You know the centre of mass of L from the previous part and that its mass is m, and you know that the centre of mass of the particle is at P and its mass is km, find the centre of mass of them combined first.

and then what do you do?
Reply 205
Here is my working out. I have also explained it below.

[1][2][3]

Total Mass = Km + m.
Since;
> tan(a) = 5/6
> The vertical passes through the new COM
> S to the mid point of the circle is 4a

5/6 must equal x/4a, because tan(a) is opposite side over adjacent side. The adjacent side is 4a. The opposite side is X. The ratio must be the same as 5/6. So X = 4a x 5/6. X = 10a/3.

10a/3 is the horizontal distance from the centre of the circle to the new COM. That means it is 4a-10a/3 from P, because the radius of the circle is 4a. The COM is 2a/3 from P.

Take moments;
> (14a/3 x m) + (0 x km) = km + m (2a/3)
> (14a/3 x m) + (0 x km) = m(k + 1) (2a/3)

The m's cancel;
> 14a/3 = k + 1 (2a/3)
> K + 1 = 7
> K = 6
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 206
You know the centre of mass of L from the previous part and that its mass is m, and you know that the centre of mass of the particle is at P and its mass is km, find the centre of mass of them combined first.

and also do you take the origin to be p or s?
Reply 207
P is the origin.
Reply 208
Original post by Riley F.

[1][2][3]

Total Mass = Km + m.
Since;
> tan(a) = 5/6

5/6 must equal x/4a, because tan(a) is opposite side over adjacent side. The adjacent side is 4a. The opposite side is x. The ratio must be the same as 5/6. So x = 4a x 5/6. x = 10a/3.

10a/3 is the horizontal distance from the centre of the circle to the new COM. That means it is 4a-10a/3 from P, because the radius of the circle is 4a. The COM is 2a/3 from P.

Take moments;

The m's cancel;
> 14a/3 = k + 1 (2a/3)
> K + 1 = 7
> K = 6

woww!! that was quick, thanks alot, i finally get it now. :smile:
Reply 209
M3 help please!

A light elastic string has natural length 4m and modulus of elasticity 58.8N. Particle P of mass 0.5kg attatched to one end of the string, other end attatched to a vertical point A, particle is released from rest at A and falls vertically.

a) find the distance travelled before P instantaneously comes to rest for the first time.
b)Find the speed of the particle when the string becomes slack for the first time

HELP! anyone...
Original post by JenniS
M3 help please!

A light elastic string has natural length 4m and modulus of elasticity 58.8N. Particle P of mass 0.5kg attatched to one end of the string, other end attatched to a vertical point A, particle is released from rest at A and falls vertically.

a) find the distance travelled before P instantaneously comes to rest for the first time.
b)Find the speed of the particle when the string becomes slack for the first time

HELP! anyone...

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 211
Only sitting M2 this summer! :biggrin:, I'm taking it your doing both? How's revision going?

I don't have any exams. I hope you enjoy yours :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.
Reply 212
Can anyone help me with M2 June 2012 paper question number 4(b) and 5?
Thanks
Reply 213
Already posted a solution for June 2012 4(b).

For Q5, you need to resolve the Impulse. You know what tan(a) is, so you can work out what sin(a) and cos(a) are. The whole angle is 180 degrees, because it is a straight line. You already have (90 + a). The remaining chunk must be (90 - a). The angle between the downward vertical and the impulse is therefore a.

12.5sin(a) for the vertical component and 12.5cos(a) for the horizontal part.

Once you have the impulse in vector form, you just use I=m(V-U) to work out V.
(edited 10 years ago)
is it me or are the older papers(pre-2007) in m3 harder than the new papers?? obviously june 2012 was hard but the older ones tend to be more difficult..
Reply 215
Already posted a solution for June 2012 4(b).

For Q5, you need to resolve the Impulse. You know what tan(a) is, so you can work out what sin(a) and cos(a). 12.5sin(a) for the vertical component and 12.5cos(a) for the horizontal part.

Once you have the impulse in vector form, you just use I=m(V-U) to work out V.

oh! so we have to use vertical and horizontal of impulse and work out velocity after? then find the resultant velocity?
dont we have to used sina for horizontal? coz mark scheme has kept sina of impulse to find velocity after.

lol i just saw that the solution for 4b was like one or two post above :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 216
Original post by AS01
oh! so we have to use vertical and horizontal of impulse and work out velocity after? then find the resultant velocity?
dont we have to used sina for horizontal? coz mark scheme has kept sina of impulse to find velocity after.

lol i just saw that the solution for 4b was like one or two post above :colondollar:

Well this is my working out, so you can take a closer look at how I went about it. And yes my bad, 12.5cos(a) is for the vertical, not horizontal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 217

[1][2][3]

Total Mass = Km + m.
Since;
> tan(a) = 5/6

5/6 must equal x/4a, because tan(a) is opposite side over adjacent side. The adjacent side is 4a. The opposite side is X. The ratio must be the same as 5/6. So X = 4a x 5/6. X = 10a/3.

Take moments;

The m's cancel;
> 14a/3 = k + 1 (2a/3)
> K + 1 = 7
> K = 6

you know while taking moments the mark scheme has kept cos of distance can u please explain why. the thing is I am not getting the picture of what is actually happening to the lamina! the point P will not be horizontal right? the diameter QP will be a bit slanted right?
Reply 218
Well this is my working out, so you can take a closer look at how I went about it. And yes my bad, 12.5cos(a) is for the vertical, not horizontal.

Oh okay that makes sense now! we found I in terms of i and j coz there is come parts of velocity in vertical and horizontal component so the magnitude alone was not the impulse.
Thanks a lot!!
Reply 219
Original post by AS01
you know while taking moments the mark scheme has kept cos of distance can u please explain why. the thing is I am not getting the picture of what is actually happening to the lamina! the point P will not be horizontal right? the diameter QP will be a bit slanted right?

My method is slightly different to the mark scheme's, so i'm not quite sure what they've done with the cos(a).

You found the COM for part a). Now another mass has been added to the system. That means the COM has moved, so you need to find the new COM in order to work backwards and find the mass of the particle. The question said that the lamina is suspended from S. Therefore, it will rotate/swing until the new COM lies directly below S - that is the same as drawing a straight line from S to the new COM. Once you know how far away the COM is from the centre of the circle (which you can because you know that tan(a) = 5/6), you can work out how far away it is from P. Once you know that distance, you can take moments (about P) to find k.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending