The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yorkshire.lad
I got 1.07J i believe,

I rounded it up to 2.s.f, although I did the area of a trapezoid + the area of the triangle to get it, but I'm sure they'd accept 2.s.f as well.
I was so happy that moments didn't come up i would've lost all of those marks
Reply 1542
So the intensity of red light is lower right?
And I read the volume of the sphere formula wrong (yes I know) and I thought it was r2 instead of r3. I'm only going to lose a mark for that right?

Posted from the TSR iPad app
Reply 1543
Original post by DthNte
It was 1.0J as it was to 1 significant figure :smile: But hopefully they'll accept anything around that.

They don't care about sig fig except in the question where it says appropriate sig fig. (For some reason, that question I decided to give the answer unrounded, but all the others did it to the 2 sig fig in the question :/ )
Reply 1544
Did anyone else get 9.2m.s-2 for the acceleration of the glider?
Reply 1545
Original post by nich01as
Yes yes and yes :biggrin:

fantastisch :biggrin:
Stalkers lecture on the total internal reflection conditions seemed to have proved to be helpful.
Reply 1547
Original post by Tuya
So the intensity of red light is lower right?
And I read the volume of the sphere formula wrong (yes I know) and I thought it was r2 instead of r3. I'm only going to lose a mark for that right?

Posted from the TSR iPad app

I did exactly the same with the sphere, kicking myself!
Reply 1548
Original post by Max28

Definitely, I think a few will make mistakes on this for not converting to mass
Original post by Max28

Yeah I got that as well, I thought calculated it incorrectly, phew.
I only realised the pythagoras part of q1 near the end and got it in with like 20 seconds to spare lol. I used to 6100N value on 1c so would I be penalised for that?
Reply 1551
Btw, any thoughts on the 100% ums mark? The mean of previous years in 60, with 57 being the lowest, 69 being the highest, and 62 being the second highest. Any thoughts? Harder than normal, easier? Thanks.
Reply 1552
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I only realised the pythagoras part of q1 near the end and got it in with like 20 seconds to spare lol. I used to 6100N value on 1c so would I be penalised for that?

Yeah, they normally give 2 answers on the mark scheme, one of them is when you use the rounded value.
Reply 1553
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

You shouldn't be, questions where you could get different answers depending on whether you use rounded/unrounded answers are generally given a range of correct answers.
Btw, any thoughts on the 100% ums mark? The mean of previous years in 60, with 57 being the lowest, 69 being the highest, and 62 being the second highest. Any thoughts? Harder than normal, easier? Thanks.

Around 60-61 because there was many places where many people would get caught out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1555
Original post by DthNte
It was 1.0J as it was to 1 significant figure :smile: But hopefully they'll accept anything around that.

I got 1.1J, do you think they'll allow that? My answer was 1.075J.
Reply 1556
Used area of sphere accidentally instead of volume when calculating weight. How many marks will i lose? I wrote out formula so examiner can see where i went wrong.
Reply 1557
Original post by Zakee
I got 1.1J, do you think they'll allow that? My answer was 1.075J.

I got the same answer, there will be a range of accepted values, and 1.1 will be in there
Reply 1558

Which paper was it 69 for???! I would think around 60 maybe for this paper.
What did people draw for the red light thing?

I had the maximum intensities the same but the fringes wider. I measured it so that all the other fringes were half the size of the central maximum.

I hope I'm right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending