The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Did the first two parts of question 1 catch many people out? I didn't get them until the like 2 minutes before the end lol.

Well. I spent first 10 mins understanding that question but I got it correct. :wink:
Reply 1661
Original post by J Dilla
not going to happen, ums boundaries are done by national averages. The fact you personally may have found it easy proves nothing

I myself found it quite difficult but you do have to compare this paper to the previous past papers and I have to say that this was easier than jan 2013 however will we have to wait and see
Reply 1662
Original post by Bookaky
60 is a little generous for full ums

64 I think seems right for this sort of paper

I think Physics UMS is generous. But this isn't the easiest paper of the spec really, is it? And the highest it's been before is 62/70 for 120 UMS.
Reply 1663
I answered the last question about what would happen if the laser was replaced with white light correct, thought about it for 5 minutes, crossed it out and proceeded to write that there will be no pattern as white light is not coherent or monochromatic.

bye bye 3 marks.
Did the first two parts of question 1 catch many people out? I didn't get them until the like 2 minutes before the end lol.

Yeah they had me stumped for ages. I started thinking resolving, but then I remembered it wasn't M1 :rolleyes:
Original post by J Dilla
i think it was 0.005 x 5 so 0.025 (or something similar)

The x-axis were like 0...0.01....0.02....0.03 So, the mid of 0.02 and 0.03 is 0.025. How did you get 0.005? And the y-axis was indeed 5.:smile:
Hi guys!

I've got a questions about the transverse wave one.
regarding the question about particle B motion, I've seen some different answers. Just to clarify, how is this answer. I put something along the lines of...

Particle B vibrates perpendicular to direction of wave travel. In the first half of the cycle, B moves up, and in the second half, participle B moves downwards.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance,
Tom!
Reply 1667
Original post by StalkeR47
The x-axis were like 0...0.01....0.02....0.03 So, the mid of 0.02 and 0.03 is 0.025. How did you get 0.005? And the y-axis was indeed 5.:smile:

midway between 0.03 and 0.02 is indeed 0.025, which is 0.005 greater than 0.02
Quite liked that paper :biggrin:

Looks like I got the work done one wrong by a factor of 10, I got 10.5 so wrote 11J ....

Thought the 6 marker was a bit weird but fairly easy :biggrin:

Bit gutted no moments came up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1669
Original post by dada55
I answered the last question about what would happen if the laser was replaced with white light correct, thought about it for 5 minutes, crossed it out and proceeded to write that there will be no pattern as white light is not coherent or monochromatic.

bye bye 3 marks.

Always go with your gut instinct !
Reply 1670
Original post by SortYourLife
Quite liked that paper :biggrin:

Looks like I got the work done one wrong by a factor of 10, I got 10.5 so wrote 11J ....

Thought the 6 marker was a bit weird but fairly easy :biggrin:

Bit gutted no moments came up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moments are lovely juicy questions I relish the opportunity and take it when a juicy 8 marker comes up on moments
Original post by _JasmineMistry
Anyone want to do engineering?

medicine here, already have my offer, resat this exam today, thought it was alright, hoping for atleast 110.
Original post by J Dilla
midway between 0.03 and 0.02 is indeed 0.025, which is 0.005 greater than 0.02

0.005 is not grater than 0.02 is it? :confused: 0.005 is actually the difference between 0.02 and 0.025.?
Original post by nich01as
That's impressive. What made you decide to teach it yourself? I'm self teaching AS chemistry, due to making a wrong decision, choosing Econ over it :/ I'd say Physics would be harder to teach yourself though, much of Chemistry, especially Unit 2 is memorization.

Well I've done A-levels before but I want to do a Physics degree and so needed to do new ones and a college would have charged too much. I actually found Chem a lot tougher than Physics and am going to drop it anyway. Unit 2 was a bloodbath for me yesterday :frown:

Well. I spent first 10 mins understanding that question but I got it correct. :wink:

I kept doing 7200-1200 for the horizontal movement and was thinking wtf?
Reply 1674
Original post by Bookaky
I myself found it quite difficult but you do have to compare this paper to the previous past papers and I have to say that this was easier than jan 2013 however will we have to wait and see

i think unit 2 physics is an exception...

i got 112 on unit 1 which i think is 66/70 - that mark would give 120 on any unit 2 paper which is strange as i don't think unit 2 is much harder than unit 1 but grade boundaries are always a lot lower
What I did wrong:
4c) - I counted the blocks under the graph, but I did 0.5 x Force x extension for the WD of each block. I should have just got the area, not halved it... Maybe 1 mark for counting the blocks under the graph at least. I hate myself for that mistake T_T

4d) - I thought it was it was asking to show the line as the material stretches and breaks, so that was totally off...

6a) - 2nd phase differance, I said 3/4 pi instead of 3/2 pi :l

Not sure?
7b) - I did the red light with larger fringes than blue, but the same intensity. (is this correct?)

Just looked at the grade boundaries for an A for the last 9 PHYA2 exams, and it has never been higher than 50/70.

Was feeling quite bad about that exam but seeing the grade boundary I am feeling a bit more confident.

Next up phya4 :wink:
What did everyone get for the spring constant
Well I've done A-levels before but I want to do a Physics degree and so needed to do new ones and a college would have charged too much. I actually found Chem a lot tougher than Physics and am going to drop it anyway. Unit 2 was a bloodbath for me yesterday :frown:

I kept doing 7200-1200 for the horizontal movement and was thinking wtf?

Exactly!! Then later on, after 8 mins, I realised you have to consider both vertical and horizontal motion. :biggrin:
Reply 1678
0.005 is not grater than 0.02 is it? :confused: 0.005 is actually the difference between 0.02 and 0.025.?

yes exactly!! there were two squares between 0.02 and 0.03 so each square represents an increase of 0.005
Overall decent paper, it could have been worse. Jan 13 were a lot harder imo.

Hoping for a 65/70.

For the single slit graph, did anyone else increase the width of the central fringe and sort of increase fringe spacing? (Keeping intensity the same)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending