The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Goldn
Unofficial mark scheme yet?

Yeah! Examiners have them. :biggrin: Only joking. It has not released yet. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm wondering why the boundaries are so low for this unit. Surely most people doing Physics will also be doing Maths with mechanics?
For the 6 marker, is water resistance an an accepted term for A level standard? Never liked the word drag. :frown:
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Found the waves bit easy, but then the mechanics was something else....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. First question (mechanics) was a tricky question. In fact, most questions in this paper were tricky. So, what do you think you got in this paper (roughly)? :smile:
Original post by NedStark
For the 6 marker, is water resistance an an accepted term for A level standard? Never liked the word drag. :frown:

I just use 'resistive force' :smile:

It should be ok, it was oil though :redface:
Just quickly, can anyone actually confirm what they got for the efficiency question? I seem to recall hearing various answers from people after the exam but not once did I hear what I was hoping for.

Also, if anyone is curious as to what the grade boundaries have been for the papers since June 2009, I'll be attaching a document that was rather nicely posted a bit eariler on this thread. Sorry creator of the Excel document, I hope I haven't violated any copyright laws!

Having them in a table just seems so much easier than using AQA's website to look for each year individually.. Ugh!

Not sure. I put viscous drag.
Original post by Goldn
Unofficial mark scheme yet?

Page 80, about midway. I've tried my best to compile a mark scheme based on what I've heard from others, and of course my own answers, but its a little incomplete so if you have anything to contribute, please feel free to do so!
effiency was 22%
the first Q answer was like 6082 or something
Original post by Davelittle
I just use 'resistive force' :smile:

It should be ok, it was oil though :redface:

Ahh FML, well that was a stupid mistake. Hoping they won't cap me at 2 marks or something for that.
Original post by FLLF
It depends, it was out of 4, so I would say at least 2 and if were being optimistic 3

Don't forget a mark was for sig figs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lebron_23
Just quickly, can anyone actually confirm what they got for the efficiency question? I seem to recall hearing various answers from people after the exam but not once did I hear what I was hoping for.

Also, if anyone is curious as to what the grade boundaries have been for the papers since June 2009, I'll be attaching a document that was rather nicely posted a bit eariler on this thread. Sorry creator of the Excel document, I hope I haven't violated any copyright laws!

Having them in a table just seems so much easier than using AQA's website to look for each year individually.. Ugh!

I got 24.4, no idea if it was right though.
I used P=Fv to find the "useful" power. Then divided that by the 360kW engine thing that they gave you, then multiplied that by 100.
Reply 1712
For the acceleration of the aircraft I did resultant/weight not resultant over mass... I would get 1 out of 2/3 right as that would be the first method step? Damn I even checked it working out the linear accelerations and finding the resultant of them also using the weight! Also I put 180 out of phase because I didn't read it and thought it wanted b to c not a to c. Hopefully I didn't get anything else wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1713

It was oil ... You might get it if they are lenient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1714
Ahh FML, well that was a stupid mistake. Hoping they won't cap me at 2 marks or something for that.

As long as you state that this causes the acceleration to decrease you should be fine
Original post by StalkeR47
Hi Jimmy! How did you find it? I think it was more difficult paper than normal ones. Grade boundary I recon will be around 44-46 for an A. :smile: I think I got 57/70 in that one. Not happy with myself :frown: I made stupid mistakes and I needed full ums. :frown: But I think I got 65 in unit 1. :smile:

Why do you "need" full ums? What is it that you need it for?

I'd say viscosity as its oil, can't really say water resistance i think, I just said reaction force from oil (viscosity)
Original post by Bookaky
As long as you state that this causes the acceleration to decrease you should be fine

Yeah I put that, hopefully you're right!
Original post by jonny7bell
I used P=Fv to find the "useful" power. Then divided that by the 360kW engine thing that they gave you, then multiplied that by 100.

22.4 or something like that
Original post by jonny7bell

I can't remember them giving us the velocity of the aircraft, or am I just being stupid? I used Fscosθ\cos \theta to work out the work done and then figured out the power. I have no idea what I did on that question.. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending