The Student Room Group

CCEA English Literature A-Level

Scroll to see replies

How does everyone structure poetry essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaoimheBoss
How does everyone structure poetry essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Intro-how each poet explores the theme, a summary.
Then I usually just paragraph according to the methods the poets use.
I think the key is just remembering to refer back to the question, it helps your essay keep on topic without you rambling on and constantly show how you're comparing/contrasting. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great! I usually structure mine in sub themes and try and bring methods into the themes, but it can be tough work on a timed essay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two days (kind of) to go guys... Eeek.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am amazing at predicting exams and I think Fitzgerald is more like Gatsby/Nick will come up and either women or Romantic/Realist will come up! I'm missing so many notes though, and I'm FREAKING OUT. American Dream has been asked four times and it was up last June so I think it is unlikely?
For poetry I think it might be poetry (like inspirations/responsibilities) but I'm hoping childhood is asked!
How are you guys going about learning the stuff though? I have so many notes but that actually hinders my revision 'cus I don't know what to focus on!
Original post by Sara_Shortstuff

How are you guys going about learning the stuff though? I have so many notes but that actually hinders my revision 'cus I don't know what to focus on!

I divided my notes into themes, then highlighted/wrote out relevant material.
I hope Fitzgerald's resemblance to gatsby comes up!
P.s. how're yous revising poetry? Since there's so many poems and only two are needed?-_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Hoping Modernism/Realism comes up
I'd love biographical to come up, women would be handy too! I just made essay plans so that I was sure all the stuff I was learning was relevant! After you do a few, all the same information starts to come up again and again.
Reply 68
Original post by englishlit
Anybody got any predictions? I'm doing Montague and Heaney poetry and The Great Gatsby. I'm thinking possibly authority, poetry or love for poetry. and don't know about Gatsby. What yous think? Please help really freaking out have done nothing!!

My best bet for Heaney and montage I'd poetry or authority (only two themes that haven't came up?) or love!! But there's four sub-themes that stem from poetry - the process of poetry/inspiration/challenges facing the poet and memory and imagination... :frown:(((

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I am amazing at predicting exams and I think Fitzgerald is more like Gatsby/Nick will come up and either women or Romantic/Realist will come up! I'm missing so many notes though, and I'm FREAKING OUT. American Dream has been asked four times and it was up last June so I think it is unlikely?
For poetry I think it might be poetry (like inspirations/responsibilities) but I'm hoping childhood is asked!

Back me up here, my teacher has told us countless times... THE AMERICAN DREAM IS TO BE REFERENCED IN EVERY ESSAY! :frown: ugh, bleugh! BORING!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unclekevo
Hoping Modernism/Realism comes up

For Gatsby? What kind of stuff would you write though? I hardly know any literary context :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Procrastinator123
P.s. how're yous revising poetry? Since there's so many poems and only two are needed?-_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were given essay structure like start with the theme, title and connections etc then the opening of both poems then middle of both poems and end of poems then structure and tone then conclusion.

I've kinda written out bullet notes for a few poems with this structure and I plan to just learn them and completely BS this exam like "ooh he uses a simile" haha
Original post by alreidx
Back me up here, my teacher has told us countless times... THE AMERICAN DREAM IS TO BE REFERENCED IN EVERY ESSAY! :frown: ugh, bleugh! BORING!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it neccessarily HAS to be American Dream context but you get a tonne of marks for context and its the easiest to mention! I hope I can slip porhibition law context in and how Wolfsheim reprsesents the gansgster etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

PS what would you write for Fitzgerald's resemblance to Gatsby? I have notes on that but I think thats the question that will come up.. It's only been asked once (Jan 09) and a biographical-type question hasn't come up since June 2011...
PS what would you write for Fitzgerald's resemblance to Gatsby? I have notes on that but I think thats the question that will come up.. It's only been asked once (Jan 09) and a biographical-type question hasn't come up since June 2011...

His relationship with Zelda/Ginevra basically. And Fitzgerald and zelda would put on an artificial/exaggerated life.
And you can bring in context other than biographical sure? (Can't you? Because otherwise I'm screwed)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an essay plan on that, basically starting with their upbringing, how they both were unhappy cos of their families lack of money and social position, how they left for fame and glamour, how they both served in the army and met southern girls in the army, then how they were both rejected because of their lack of money and social status (even though eventually Fitzgerald got Zelda) then how Fitzgerald places the qualities in Gatsby that he wishes he had, such as Gatsby not drinking, and staying proper at parties :smile:
Original post by CaoimheBoss
I have an essay plan on that, basically starting with their upbringing, how they both were unhappy cos of their families lack of money and social position, how they left for fame and glamour, how they both served in the army and met southern girls in the army, then how they were both rejected because of their lack of money and social status (even though eventually Fitzgerald got Zelda) then how Fitzgerald places the qualities in Gatsby that he wishes he had, such as Gatsby not drinking, and staying proper at parties :smile:

You are a lifesaver. I just typed this out and texted it to my friend! I have a strong feeling it will be a comparative of whether FSF is more like Nick or Gatsby. How is he similar to Nick? (sorry to keep asking qs!)
His relationship with Zelda/Ginevra basically. And Fitzgerald and zelda would put on an artificial/exaggerated life.
And you can bring in context other than biographical sure? (Can't you? Because otherwise I'm screwed)

Posted from TSR Mobile

"rich girls don't marry poor boys" etc! my teacher said if you mention women, write about the emancipation; if you write about American Dream, include context etc so just as long as it is (semi) relevant!
Does anyone have any Edward Thomas notes they could send me? I have none at all :frown:
You are a lifesaver. I just typed this out and texted it to my friend! I have a strong feeling it will be a comparative of whether FSF is more like Nick or Gatsby. How is he similar to Nick? (sorry to keep asking qs!)

I said they were both born into upper middle class families, but still had to go and earn their own money, nick couldn't marry because he was "too poor" like fitz was with ginevra, and originally Zelda. They both served in the army, nick is known as Fitzgerald's mouthpiece because a lot of the views nick expresses are Fitzgerald's views. Since they were both raised in the mid west, they have a greater sense of morals, nick represents fitzgerald's reflective side. Also Fitzgerald's misogyny is evident through Nick's satirical presentation of women

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending