The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
I put flame test, but when you react Magnesium Carbonate, with a particular sulfate, won't you get magnesium sulfate, which is then soluble in aqueous and barium sulfate, which is not soluble in aqueous? :s-smilie:

Yeah, very good!

But it should not bu sulfuric acid (no acid was allowed) and both barium and magnesium should be able to displace it.

EDIT; on second thoughts I dont think it should be more reactive or anything. Its a precipitation reaction
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1481
put the flame test for the 1 marker at the top of the page and thermal decomposition for the 2 marker at the bottom of the page
I got that too.
Its because you read the burette twice, at the start and the end.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
I asked my teacher about the flame tests and he says that its the correct answer.
Original post by geor
What did you guys put for the difference between the solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

difference between the solutions? You mean the excess iodine that was left?
Reply 1485
Is POCl3 a red solid by any chance ? :colondollar: :tongue:
Reply 1486
Original post by geor
What did you guys put for the difference between the solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pale yellow to colourless for titration with no indicator

Colourless to red brown for br- to br2 reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geor
No the one before comparing Ba and Mg carbonate

Posted from TSR Mobile

flame test.

No flame colour with magnesium, a green flame with Barium.
What were your thoughts on acid preventing the hydrolysis of bromine?
For the titration question, one question was how to improve the reliability. I said divide the iodine solution into smaller portions, titrate several times and calculate the mean titre. And then they asked you to calculate the percentage error (I got 0.86%). Then after that the question was how to reduce the % error, I said use a less concentrated solution of sodium thiosulfate so that the volume needed to react with the iodine would be larger. Larger volume --> less % error.

Anyone else did the same? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, and for the ppm question I have no clue why I went and calculated the % composition by mass for both solutions. You think it's okay?
I thought it was a hard paper, there were no easy questions like definitions or drawing apparatus, like there was normally on past papers..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geor
No the question before where it said if you added something (i think it was h2so4) what would be the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember it vaguely, do you know more about what the question said?

I can't think from the top of my head.
Original post by metaltron
What were your thoughts on acid preventing the hydrolysis of bromine?

I wrote something like this, hope its correct

"Acidifying causes water to ionize, forming H+ and OH-.Therefore the concentration of water molecules decreases and the H+ concentration increases. The position of equilibrium moves to the left because of these effects so less bromine is hydrolyzed"
Original post by Londrinna
I thought it was a hard paper, there were no easy questions like definitions or drawing apparatus, like there was normally on past papers..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the paper was a very fair one. There were more recall questions than other papers. When I mean recall, I mean stuff like tests for compounds. Chemical equations etc
Original post by Londrinna

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but many of the questions was repeated from the past papers. eg the accuracy and reliability of the titration.
Reply 1496
Original post by geor
No the question before where it said if you added something (i think it was h2so4) what would be the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would react with barium to make barium sulfate (white precipitate) with magnesium to make magnesium sulfate (soluble) no change observed
I hope you guys put state symbols for some of the chemical equations you had to write out. There were two questions that asked for state symbols!
Okay guys so i think the paper was harder than previous ones specially the MCQS. But i hope i didnt lose more than 6-7 marks maximum. starting with mcqs i wrote SF6 , CCl4, 2-chlorobutane. for increasing covalent characer i said NaCl, MgCl2 to SiCl4. then for sodium chloride solubility i chose the hydration enthalpy one that was most appropriate.
then for the mass spectrum with 43,57,58 i chose propanone. i chose ozone sepletion for last one. volume calculation was the first option if i am not wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending