The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluekipper
78/120 = 65% UMS ie. Mid C, so you will need around 46-49 marks out of 90 = 52-55% Raw

Thanks mate, big help!
Reply 1921
Original post by murtz14
How certain is earthquakes to come up in the structured questions for tectonics? and the 10 marker being management?

My guess would be

7 marker: From figure 1, explain how this provides evidence for plate tectonic theory

8 marker: Describe the formation of Tsunamis

10 marker: With reference to two case studies, outline the ways in which earthquakes are managed.
Reply 1922
Original post by dawg
My guess would be

7 marker: From figure 1, explain how this provides evidence for plate tectonic theory

8 marker: Describe the formation of Tsunamis

10 marker: With reference to two case studies, outline the ways in which earthquakes are managed.

Exactly what I'm thinking tbh! They wouldn't dare put in extrusive and intrusive... Also a possible 8 marker is the distribution of earthquakes like what plate boundaries they are found on.
Does anyone think a storm event will come up for weather structured q's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ben10101
Do you have the aqa unit 3 student support revision guide?? Just finished all my notes for ecosystems and looked through the guide and it has a box for examiners' notes saying have a case study with those 4 parts included.

No I don't, I was just going from the spec. Thanks anyway. As I'm revising 4 topics, I'm only going to answer the ecosystem questions if they're about rainforest/fragile environment.
Reply 1925
Original post by murtz14
Exactly what I'm thinking tbh! They wouldn't dare put in extrusive and intrusive... Also a possible 8 marker is the distribution of earthquakes like what plate boundaries they are found on.

I completely disagree, for two reasons;

1 - Intrusive igneous activity has not been assessed yet since it was added to the spec... two years ago (and AQA have to test students on everything on the curriculum every three years)
2) Our Unit 4b exam is on the Christchurch earthquake! Why would they test us on questions that are almost certainly going to come up in that exam?

My prediction:

- Structured questions on volcanism including a question in INTRUSIVE igneous activity.
- An essay on Plate Tectonics theory
Reply 1926
What do you mean by intrusive igneous activity? To quote from the JAN 2013 paper "Describe the characteristics of forms of intrusive volcanic activity and explain their formations" (8 marks) There is no way they would ever repeat that...
Reply 1927
Oh wow! I was not aware that it came up in the January paper...
Tbh, predictions are always a bad idea in my opinion. Revise the whole unit because I'd hate to be you if Intrusive activity did come up again :/
Reply 1928
Original post by murtz14
What do you mean by intrusive igneous activity? To quote from the JAN 2013 paper "Describe the characteristics of forms of intrusive volcanic activity and explain their formations" (8 marks) There is no way they would ever repeat that...

I agree with you, why would they the same question in twice in a row? There's got to be a question on Tsunamis, It hasn't come up in any of the papers yet.
Could they do a trade vs aid 40 mark question for globalisation & development?
Reply 1930
So how many case studies do people have to use in the case of the 40 marker on seismicity. I have only have two specific earthquakes and two for tsunamis, what about everyone else and where?
Reply 1931
Original post by Comp144
I completely disagree, for two reasons;

1 - Intrusive igneous activity has not been assessed yet since it was added to the spec... two years ago (and AQA have to test students on everything on the curriculum every three years)
2) Our Unit 4b exam is on the Christchurch earthquake! Why would they test us on questions that are almost certainly going to come up in that exam?

My prediction:

- Structured questions on volcanism including a question in INTRUSIVE igneous activity.
- An essay on Plate Tectonics theory

Intrusive activity came up in Jan 2013!
Reply 1932
Original post by ben10101
So how many case studies do people have to use in the case of the 40 marker on seismicity. I have only have two specific earthquakes and two for tsunamis, what about everyone else and where?

i have 2 for volcanoes and 2 for earthquakes and 1 for tsunami

earthquake : l'aquilla and kashmir
tsunami: indian ocean tsunami 2004
volcanoes: mt st helens and montserrat
Reply 1933
there certainly doesn't have to be a question on tsunamis. tbh, knowing AQA they'll be frubes and add in intrusive landforms again for the bant.

have done like no revision today :'(
Reply 1934
What are the main topics the easy question for tectonics could be set on?

Plate tectonics theory
Management and planning of disasters

Anything else?
Reply 1935
Just decided that I cannot be bothered to learn all the theory for four topics so will cherry pick the bits I can be bothered to learn
Is anybody else going to be doing the Plate tectonics 40 marker?
If so...
What do you think the topics will be.
Also what do you think the ecosystems and world cities smaller questions will be?

Apologises if someone has already asked this question
Original post by Axion
Just decided that I cannot be bothered to learn all the theory for four topics so will cherry pick the bits I can be bothered to learn

exactly what i am doing :') only started revising today... oops
Original post by chloe299
You need 154 points between two A2 modules. An average of 77% in both- so that would be, like 92 points in Geog3? Equivalent to like a high B or something

This helps: http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce

Perfect! Thankyou so much, So im aiming for a High B in Geog3! sorteeddd!
Reply 1939
Original post by Gary
i have 2 for volcanoes and 2 for earthquakes and 1 for tsunami

earthquake : l'aquilla and kashmir
tsunami: indian ocean tsunami 2004
volcanoes: mt st helens and montserrat

Do you think it is useful to have a few facts about a range of case studies, like use Japan for an MEDC showing the capacity to cope, then one like l'aquilla which showed poor infrastructure didn't it ? I am not sure as i have not studied that example though ? Or will just two case studies for each be enough to get high marks in the essay. I am kind of hoping for a plate tectonics theory essay now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending