The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
can anyone please give me the download link for edexcel chemistry as unit 2 2013 question paper download.... i can't find it... pls!
For the MCQ on increasing covalency, anyone remember in what order the halogens was? Was it from F to I or I to F?
Original post by jollygood
was it 29 nor 43?

I was pretty sure it was 29 but you confused me now XD
Reply 1523
If everyone found it hard then the grade boundaries will go down and since many people seemed to have encountered some difficulty with at least one or two parts of the paper theres a likely chance it will be :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1524
Original post by hameem
can anyone please give me the download link for edexcel chemistry as unit 2 2013 question paper download.... i can't find it... pls!

It has only been like 24 hours, you have to wait at least a week for someone to leak it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hameem

The paper isn't released yet, Edexcel don't publish it until for one or two months from now.

The only chance you have of seeing the paper is if someone manages to get hold of it and take photocopies of the pages on here.
Reply 1526
Original post by Jayqwe
If everyone found it hard then the grade boundaries will go down and since many people seemed to have encountered some difficulty with at least one or two parts of the paper theres a likely chance it will be :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is no way the boundaries will go below 60 even if the paper is hard..... I've never seen them go below 60 for a unit 2 chem exam in June
The boundaries for an A will be around 62 to 63 IMO
Original post by Meehar17
there is no way the boundaries will go below 60 even if the paper is hard..... I've never seen them go below 60 for a unit 2 chem exam in June

It was 58 in 2011......
And the general feeling is that this one was harder
Original post by sophiekutie
It was 58 in 2011......
And the general feeling is that this one was harder

haha I just saw you neg rep me above.

You have no clue if you think this exam was harder. This one had alot more recall questions (e.g. chemical tests and chemical equations), which is easy to score marks in.
Original post by James A

You have no clue if you think this exam was harder. This one had alot more recall questions (e.g. chemical tests and chemical equations), which is easy to score marks in.

Good for you :smile:

No i just think this was much less of a test of actual understanding of the syllabus. It seems to me that if your memory was good the exam favoured you regardless of your understanding, which it didn't test as much.
Also, most people on here felt june 2011 was easier.
Original post by geor
I agree with you but I doubt they will drop as low as 58.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know... They've done it before there's no reason why they shouldn't again... It just depends on what percentage of people got what marks I guess... It's just fingers crossed from now on :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

No i just think this was much less of a test of actual understanding of the syllabus. It seems to me that if your memory was good the exam favoured you regardless of your understanding, which it didn't test as much.

What do you mean by 'less of a test of actual understanding of the syllabus'?

Answer that question, because I honestly don't know what you're trying to imply by saying that.

Aren't most of the questions technically an 'understanding of the syllabus'. The only questions where you genuinely have to recall things are definitions and that is what remains the same for every exam paper that has a definition question.
Original post by James A

Dw mate you're absolutely right. The paper wasn't so hard that the grade boundaries are gonna be ridiculously low.

The reason people did so well in this exam was exactly BECAUSE it was mostly recall (most of the people at my school said it was easy/average). Since when were the opinions of the exam on TSR representative of all candidates taking the exam everywhere? Less understanding of the actual chemistry was required, so all you had to do was spew out stuff you already had memorised. The grade boundaries are gonna be similar to past years, nothing especially low. Don't try and delude yourself into saying everyone else failed so the boundaries will be low, and certainly don't put down other people on this forum (like James) just because they didn't find it super difficult like you did. :smile:
Original post by James A
What do you mean by 'less of a test of actual understanding of the syllabus'?

Answer that question, because I honestly don't know what you're trying to imply by saying that.

Aren't most of the questions technically an 'understanding of the syllabus'. The only questions where you genuinely have to recall things are definitions and that is what remains the same for every exam paper that has a definition question.

Haha I understand that :smile:
What I'm saying is that there were more simple answer questions (ie simply KNOWING things like halogenoalkane+aqueous alkali= alcohol etc.)
and less APPLICATION of knowledge questions (ie explain WHY the thermal stability of group 1 carbonates is higher than that of group 2)

I just felt like it wasn't a very good test of our understanding.
Original post by Maybenexttime
Dw mate you're absolutely right. The paper wasn't so hard that the grade boundaries are gonna be ridiculously low.

The reason people did so well in this exam was exactly BECAUSE it was mostly recall (most of the people at my school said it was easy/average). Since when were the opinions of the exam on TSR representative of all candidates taking the exam everywhere? Less understanding of the actual chemistry was required, so all you had to do was spew out stuff you already had memorised. The grade boundaries are gonna be similar to past years, nothing especially low. Don't try and delude yourself into saying everyone else failed so the boundaries will be low, and certainly don't put down other people on this forum (like James) just because they didn't find it super difficult like you did. :smile:

Okay you guys are getting the complete wrong end of the stick here...
Basically all I'm saying is that I didn't like it most people I have spoken to didn't like it and that it didn't cover what a lot of people would have liked it to, which is why we found it more difficult.

Also, I'm not "deluding myself". Just saying my opinion of what I think the boundaries will be.
(edited 10 years ago)
For the question about identifying MgCO3 and the other one I cant remember now It was ok to distinguish the two by using Lime water and seeing which one took longer to make it cloudy ? That's what I put and I'm pretty sure it would be acceptable
Original post by James A
Energy released from the hydration is what compensates for the energy lost from the bond breaking. Its in the george facer book.

Nice, only got this one right because I could remember reading a paragraph about hydration energies in Facer.

Is there an unofficial mark scheme up yet? If so, link please?
Haha I understand that :smile:
What I'm saying is that there were more simple answer questions (ie simply KNOWING things like halogenoalkane+aqueous alkali= alcohol etc.)

I don't know why you don't like the idea that they asked these questions. Shouldn't you know the answer to when they ask these kind of questions? Easy marks in the bag or not?

and less APPLICATION of knowledge questions (ie explain WHY the thermal stability of group 1 carbonates is higher than that of group 2)

I just felt like it wasn't a very good test of our understanding.

It seems like you're contradicting yourself. Didn't you learn from the previous mark schemes that it is related to the size of the cation, hence it's ability to polarise the anion cloud of electrons.<<<<< Isn't this classed as recalling information?

I'm sorry if you didn't agree with the material that Edexcel included in this paper, but it's one of those things. It didn't have impossible questions however it did have questions to test the A grade students, sadly, that's how low A-levels have become these days, but recalling info is part of the agenda and it's just gotta be done I'm afraid, all we can do is hope for the best and concentrate on our next exam.
Original post by GCSE-help
Increasing covalent character is NOT down group 1. I could get egg in my face here for sounding so confident :s-smilie: BUT doesnt covalency relate to polarising power and distorted ionic bonds, so going down the group polarising power decreases and it becomes less covalent.

Do you remember which one you put? I put A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending