The Student Room Group

D2 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matt_payne
someone has probably asked this before, but is there a june 2007 answer booklet anywhere, I can't find one!

I've got it - attached - sorry, it's not excellent quality...
I have attached qsn and ms, can someone explain the first 2 boxes in the answer table, how are we supposed to know only 5/10 days left???????
Original post by ChelseaSam
I find the easiest way to do Cuts is to draw a solid line to the left of the dotted line... if the arc goes through the solid line first then you count it... if not then you don't - Hope that helps

Sorry can you explain this way, is it what i have attached??
Original post by Miken Moose
I've got it - attached - sorry, it's not excellent quality...

Thank you so much, that's brilliant :smile:
I swear it is nowhere online!

It is now :tongue:

Incidentally, I have them all from 2002 onwards if you or anyone else needs them.
Original post by Arsey
If I could predict the future I wouldn't be here now :smile:

I don't think anything will come up that hasn't come up before. However, they could ask you to tabulate the LP GT question (I cannot see them ever asking to then follow through with Simplex).

LP max allocation question.

GT question where there is a stable solution. GT where they ask you to find the best strategy for player B after going through the well diagram method for player A.

I wouldn't be surprised if short cuts appeared on the TS question.

An initial degenerate solution when using the NWC method on transportation.

My money would be on a minimax, maximum (easier) dynamic programming question.

I wouldn't be surprised if super source / super sink makes an appearance. Also on flows maybe a sink that is in the middle of the network.

With all that been said, the new international papers mean that two papers will be written side by side. So it is likely one will have NN, the other will have short cuts. One will have LP on GT, the other LP on allocation or transportation. etc

As long as we get the next instalment of agent goodie, I will be happy.

What about integer solutions for a LP?
Or filling out a Simplex Tableau given inqualities?
Also some definitions?

I have a question aswell. Can unbalanced transportation problems have excess demand? Therefore needing a dummy supply point. Or is excess supply only possible. Because all of the definitions for an unbalanced TP state that total supply>total demand and don't consider the other case.

http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html

The website above has all the edexcel past papers, might be worth a look.
Reply 347
if you have an allocation problem and it asks for a linear programming solution, do you use >= or = in the equations?
Original post by mattd75
if you have an allocation problem and it asks for a linear programming solution, do you use >= or = in the equations?

You should use =, because exactly one worker must do task X, exactly one task must be completed by worker W etc. :smile:
Reply 349
but what about in transportation if supply > demand. do you add dummy or use inequalities?
Reply 350
Can someone please help with question 3 in 7D of the excersise book? I have no idea what to label the stage state action destination :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
When using the graphical method for game theory, which point of intersection do you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattd75
but what about in transportation if supply > demand. do you add dummy or use inequalities?

You can add a dummy demand point first and then proceed as normal if you wish.

Usually, though, you just switch to inequalities for the constraints regarding the row totals since not all the supply is necessarily used. Remember that the demand still must be met, though, so they should be equalities.

Either method will be accepted, so do whichever is more obvious to you :smile:
Reply 353
Any one got any tips on how to increase the maximum flow by using backflow? Im finding it hard to spot :frown:
Original post by JayJay95
Can someone please help with question 3 in 7D of the excersise book? I have no idea what to label the stage state action destination :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a standard type of question so I will just tell you that in this context:

Stage = month - start at June and work backwards.
State = number of aircraft in storage at the start of the month
Action = number of aircraft to be built in the month
Destination = number of aircraft in storage at the end of the month.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Miken Moose
You can add a dummy demand point first and then proceed as normal if you wish.

Usually, though, you just switch to inequalities for the constraints regarding the row totals since not all the supply is necessarily used. Remember that the demand still must be met, though, so they should be equalities.

Either method will be accepted, so do whichever is more obvious to you :smile:

! That's what I thought, too, but someone a while back said they shouldn't be?? Is there anywhere that it says for sure?
Original post by kashagupta
When using the graphical method for game theory, which point of intersection do you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You choose the point such that the minimum possible value of V(A) is as large as possible.

See the attached diagram -- here, we would select the intersection of the yellow and orange lines, because it gives the maximum possible minimum value of V(A), which is the vertical axis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 357
Hey thats 7c not 7d take one more look for me? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 358
Original post by mattd75

Add a dummy to transform it into a problem in the correct form and then continue as usual (slack variables/inequalities, etc...)
Original post by JayJay95

Consider, instead of a time parameter underlying the action, the parameter of quantity left. How much milk will you have left after a creation action deeding on what it is etc...
Original post by kashagupta

Of the points of intersection that lie on the border of the feasible region, you must select the point that co-ordinates to the highest expected value. The feasible region is such that all co-ordinates in the region satisfy 0p10 \le p \le 1 and are less than or equal to every line drawn.

How are people feeling about tomorrow then? Psyched? :colone:

I'm looking forward to it in the sense that it is my first maths exam this summer (finally my English, Spanish, etc.. are over!) :smile:
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
! That's what I thought, too, but someone a while back said they shouldn't be?? Is there anywhere that it says for sure?

Well I do it like that because it makes sense, but if you look at January 2006 question 3, they allowed either equalities or inequalities for those constraints.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending