The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Wasn't the polarisation question to explain what the scientist would discover about the wave FROM THE EARTHQUAKE based on the fact that it was polarised?
Original post by ThomT94
On the 6 mark question, first law and second law should be the other way around. Also, bullet b's distance is not affected by its mass. It's because both accelerate towards the ground at the same rate from the same height, therefore, same time of travel, thus lower horizontal speed causes bullet to travel shorter distance in the given time.

Thank you very much for your input, I will make changes to my original post.
Original post by trentjoseph007
Thats means its different form the double slit one, like most people r explaining.

what people are explaining is right
Original post by VV.KKGSR
The fact that it was a transverse wave was given in the question, so even i'm not sure where the 2 marks would have come from?
I just put it will be a secondary seismic wave which travels through parallel planes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Polarised so must be transverse?

I put seismic s waves as well, that should be a mark
For the phase difference I put

"90 degrees out of phase"

"270 degrees out of phase"

Is this okay or will I not get the marks as I said "out of phase"
Reply 1865
Original post by lebron_23
Thank you very much for your input, I will make changes to my original post.

When its finalised let me know which page its on so I can quote it in the op :smile:
Original post by .raiden.
When its finalised let me know which page its on so I can quote it in the op :smile:

i think you would say that since it is transverse, you would limit the vibration to oscilliate in one direction perpendicular the wave travel (1 mark) hence the scientist could deduce where the earthquake will be directed at (1 mark)
Reply 1868
Original post by Aarongreatbanks

I think you will. I put that too?
Reply 1869
Original post by lebron_23
I've just about managed to finalise the mark scheme now, but as it says, I think I've given an extra mark to one of the questions somewhere. Again, any corrections are welcome and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm also still clueless as to what the second part of question 7 was, I think it was the intensity graph, but not too sure.

EDIT2EDIT^2: Its now complete, thank you .raiden. and HenryD for clearing that up.

7a - sure wavelength will get the mark? I thought coherence was strictly: constant/fixed phase difference.. I just saw that on the mark scheme highlighted/underlined loadss of times.. I could be wrong just thought otherwise
Reply 1870

That would be fine I'd think.

Original post by VV.KKGSR
The fact that it was a transverse wave was given in the question, so even i'm not sure where the 2 marks would have come from?
I just put it will be a secondary seismic wave which travels through parallel planes

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll have to state why polarisation means that it must be transverse and then say SSW I would think.

i put that too because they both are out of phase since 90 and 270 are not a whole number multiple of 360 degrees
Original post by .raiden.
I think you will. I put that too?

I don't think they'd be so harsh it is correct in my eyes I just wanted to see your opinion?
Reply 1873
Original post by masryboy94
i think you would say that since it is transverse, you would limit the vibration to oscilliate in one direction perpendicular the wave travel (1 mark) hence the scientist could deduce where the earthquake will be directed at (1 mark)

In that case I put the effect of the seismic wave can only be seen in one direction is a mark? Probably too vague I guess
Has anyone got the paper yet?
Physics.jpg

Look at figure 2 ... Thats what happens .. Not white central fringe .. or first order continuous spectra.

EDIT: This is the last question on the paper.
Reply 1876
Original post by Hullo
7a - sure wavelength will get the mark? I thought coherence was strictly: constant/fixed phase difference.. I just saw that on the mark scheme highlighted/underlined loadss of times.. I could be wrong just thought otherwise

Fairly sure that that question was about monochromatic light? In which case same wavelength is the answer.
Original post by Davelittle
what people are explaining is right

Look at my previous post.
Reply 1878
Original post by HenryD
Fairly sure that that question was about monochromatic light? In which case same wavelength is the answer.

Yes it was
Original post by Hullo

it asked for monochromatic not coherent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending