The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by JamesSS95
It is required, check the specification :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant as in a question that difficult will never come up, grade boundaries are already up at like 57/75 for an A so they wouldn't put anything that difficult in (as it would be a 5 marker minimum)
Reply 361
Original post by jackerharder
HELP
1.Page 33 of CGP book if you have got it (or otherwise):
Why is sintheta=1.22lamda/d ? Where do they get 1.22 from??

2.Also, What does the graph of scattering angle with diffraction look like (the mark scheme just says drawn correctly which is very useful)

The 1.22 is derived from the Bessell function, you don't need to worry too much about this.

The graph of electron diffraction around a nucleus looks like this:
Electron.jpg

Are you talking about the Rayleigh Criterion here or are you asking about electron diffraction? The equations for both are subtly different.
(edited 10 years ago)
Is anyone else doing the Applied option?
How are people revising for this exam? With the small number of past papers I'm struggling. I've just been copy out my notes repeatedly, and recording myself saying them and listening back while eating or exercising

I don't know why. I find coming up with ideas for bio and chem revision easy. I think it's probably because I don't understand physics so well :/
Reply 364
Original post by Beth_L_G
How are people revising for this exam? With the small number of past papers I'm struggling. I've just been copy out my notes repeatedly, and recording myself saying them and listening back while eating or exercising

I don't know why. I find coming up with ideas for bio and chem revision easy. I think it's probably because I don't understand physics so well :/

Recent research has indicated that question-and-answer flashcards are one of the best methods of retaining information. I don't know what option you're doing, but surely you could find some way to incorporate this - maybe with the key explanations in place.

I still need to learn the stellar classifications and their corresponding temperatures. I think I know which spectral lines belong to each, but it'd be such a silly thing to lose a mark over.
Original post by bugsuper
Recent research has indicated that question-and-answer flashcards are one of the best methods of retaining information. I don't know what option you're doing, but surely you could find some way to incorporate this - maybe with the key explanations in place.

I still need to learn the stellar classifications and their corresponding temperatures. I think I know which spectral lines belong to each, but it'd be such a silly thing to lose a mark over.

Might try that thanks
I'm doing astophysics too. Spectral classes and hydrogen balmer lines is one of the only bits I actually do get haha
Reply 366
Original post by Beth_L_G
Might try that thanks
I'm doing astophysics too. Spectral classes and hydrogen balmer lines is one of the only bits I actually do get haha

There have been a number of REALLY EASY questions about how Balmer lines have formed as six-markers in past papers... which would just be a dream scenario for me, if that was actually on the paper. Explaining that for six marks is a breeze.
Reply 367
energy.JPG
Could anyone please explain this to me? I see that they've done
activity x energy of one alpha particle x charge of an electron
But why?
Reply 368
Original post by bugsuper

what do you mean by the spectral lines belonging to star class.

(I hate how we have to learn these facts, this is what google is for in RL...)
Reply 369
Original post by lantern
energy.JPG
Could anyone please explain this to me? I see that they've done
activity x energy of one alpha particle x charge of an electron
But why?

The activity of the source multiplied by the energy of the radiation will give you the power of the source (or the energy per second), that is the principle you apply to this question.
Reply 370
Original post by jon889
what do you mean by the spectral lines belonging to star class.

(I hate how we have to learn these facts, this is what google is for in RL...)

I mean things like spectral class B and A have Balmer lines from hydrogen, and spectral classes K and M have absorption lines from like metal compounds like TiO and stuff - if you have a table of information about the spectral classes it should be in that
Original post by JRP95
I meant as in a question that difficult will never come up, grade boundaries are already up at like 57/75 for an A so they wouldn't put anything that difficult in (as it would be a 5 marker minimum)

55? What option module was this in? Like which was it phya5a/b/c/d?
I really doubt it was ever that high for turning points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any exam questions on the light topic in turning points? I find it hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 373
Original post by posthumus
I get confused with the avogardos contant bit

They've found the number of atoms,

it looks like to find the number of moles you do:

no. atoms / avogardos constant

Is this correct ?? Is the a formula they give us also.

Then once they've go moles, they've done
moles x molar mass = mass

Okay here are the documents hope you find them useful
I am doing them aswell let me know if you get stuck :biggrin:
Smith
Reply 374
Original post by cooldudeman
Has anyone got any exam questions on the light topic in turning points? I find it hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Specifically what on light e.g relativity hygens theory ... if i may ask
Smith
I'm actually quite gutted how my feelings have changed towards Physics this year. I loved it at As and I achieved a decent A grade. However i'm struggling with A2 physics and i'm also re-sitting Unit 4, bleugh I know!

On the plus i'm glad to be doing turning points, I quite like this section and the grade boundaries seem to be alright. How's everyone revising for it? I'm doing notes, flashcards and past papers but still finding it a slight struggle, boo :frown:
Reply 376
Original post by Bobilina
I'm actually quite gutted how my feelings have changed towards Physics this year. I loved it at As and I achieved a decent A grade. However i'm struggling with A2 physics and i'm also re-sitting Unit 4, bleugh I know!

On the plus i'm glad to be doing turning points, I quite like this section and the grade boundaries seem to be alright. How's everyone revising for it? I'm doing notes, flashcards and past papers but still finding it a slight struggle, boo :frown:

I've posted some questions you may want to give them a try :smile: Also doing turning points just revising some notes for that.
Smith
Original post by smith50
I've posted some questions you may want to give them a try :smile: Also doing turning points just revising some notes for that.
Smith

Ahhh yes I see them, thanks a bunch! :smile:
Original post by smith50
Okay here are the documents hope you find them useful
I am doing them aswell let me know if you get stuck :biggrin:
Smith

Brilliant, thank you so much ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

May I ask if there's also a mark scheme ?
Reply 379
How's everyone finding the exam prep. Im doing applied physics and I think its mostly straightforward, just need to make sure I read the question properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply