The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by posthumus
Depends on how many groups there are and in what positions they are in?

Phenol and methyl-benzene would have 4 different hydrogen environments

If there's more groups, then there would be way more than that, especially if it is not longer symmetrical

wait how would u label the H environments of phenol?
like this?
benzene h.png
Left or right?
Original post by Dolphino
Yeah I did. Basically you know around the methyl group, I thought that the two adjacent hydrogen atoms would be in the same environment since benzene is symmetrical. That environment plus the hydrogenl environment plus the hydrogen environment in methyl group makes three...

I'm a tad bit confused :colondollar: So I thought I'd draw out what I had in mind...

Phenolas.png
Hope it's clear... I did the same thing with methyl-benzene. Made the methyl hydrogens' a part of 1 environment. So both phenol & methyl-benzene have 4 hydrogen environments?

Original post by StellaRawr11
wait how would u label the H environments of phenol?
like this?
benzene h.png
Left or right?

Left
Reply 1242
I'm a tad bit confused :colondollar: So I thought I'd draw out what I had in mind...

Phenolas.png
Hope it's clear... I did the same thing with methyl-benzene. Made the methyl hydrogens' a part of 1 environment. So both phenol & methyl-benzene have 4 hydrogen environments?

Left

Kk I see way I've done. It's just that I thought 3 and 4 would have the same environment
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dolphino
3 and 4 should be the same environment though

Your not looking at the OH group... they are different distances away. How many hydrogen environments are in CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH ?

EDIT: Okay, glad you've got it now :smile:
Does anyone happen to have the January 13 paper that they could send me? :smile:
Reply 1245
Original post by -strawberry-
Does anyone happen to have the January 13 paper that they could send me? :smile:

http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A Level/Chemistry/Edexcel/2013 Jan
mark scheme: http://www.scribd.com/doc/126758041/Edexcel-GCE-Chemistry-Unit-5-MS
(edited 10 years ago)
Your not looking at the OH group... they are different distances away. How many hydrogen environments are in CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH ?

EDIT: Okay, glad you've got it now :smile:

Is it 6?
Original post by AtomicMan
Is it 6?

Yes ! :tongue:
Hey. :smile:

You know with halogenation, does the FeBr3 catalyst simply polarise the Br2 molecule or can it also react like: FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr4- + Br+

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by LeaX

You know with halogenation, does the FeBr3 catalyst simply polarise the Br2 molecule or can it also react like: FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr4- + Br+

Yup that sounds right to me! & then the FeBr4- will react with the extra Hydrogen (which has been substituted by the Br+) to form HBr and regenerate the FeBr3 catalyst :smile:
Thanks AS01 :biggrin:

ok another qs that may come up x]

how many hydrogen environments should benzene have?
if it has substituents like OH or CH3, then what how many H environments does it have?

as others have said phenol & methylbenzene (toluene) have 4 envionments

benzene itself has 1 because all 6 hydrogens are in the same environment
Original post by LeaX

yeah your right, the reality is that ratehr than

FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr4- + Br+

its more like

FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr3.Br(δ-ve)---Br(δ+ve)

but the mark schemes accept both
Reply 1253
Hopefully this will help you out...

I believe there should be HCl product also

EDIT: didn't see the fact that it was amino :tongue: But I guess the group would just stay there... elimination will occur between H in the hydroxy group & chlorine

Thanks a lot. :smile: Gud luck for your exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1254
Original post by paddyroddy
2CH3COCl + CH3CH2CH(NH2)CH2OH

Ethanoyl chloride reacts with both NH2 & OH!

---> CH3CH2CH(HNOCCH3)CH2OOCCH3 + 2HCl

Thanks a lot. Gud luck for your exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheUsername42
If you have any questions about the past papers you can directly ask chemistry university students who may already have done them (except 2013 ones) during their a-levels, visit www.thestudentsolutions.co.uk , hope this helps!

Ooh thank you :smile:
Yup that sounds right to me! & then the FeBr4- will react with the extra Hydrogen (which has been substituted by the Br+) to form HBr and regenerate the FeBr3 catalyst :smile:

Original post by paddyroddy
yeah your right, the reality is that ratehr than

FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr4- + Br+

its more like

FeBr3 + Br2 -> FeBr3.Br(δ-ve)---Br(δ+ve)

but the mark schemes accept both

Thank you both. :biggrin:
in june 11 q10
it says something on the increasing ph of the solutions
can anyone explain the concept behind this? quite confused on how you determine the magnitude of ph
increasing order= phenylamine < NH3 < butylamine
in june 11 q10
it says something on the increasing ph of the solutions
can anyone explain the concept behind this? quite confused on how you determine the magnitude of ph
increasing order= phenylamine < NH3 < butylamine

High pH = alkaline/base

A base is something with the ability to attract a proton

in phenyl amine the nitrogen atom's lone pair of electrons is pulled into the ring of delocalised electrons and so the N atom is less electronegative and so has a weaker abiliuty to attract a proton - so only slightly basic

nh3 has a lone pair of electrons and so is able to attract a proton better than phenylamine as it nitrogen is electronegative so is quite basc

but, butylamine is even stonger .....the nitrogen has methyl groups surrounding it, they are lectron releasing and donate electrons to the nitrogen making it even more electronegative than usual, and so it can attract a proton the easiest and so is the strongest base.

It can't be nice down in hell - so i thought id help you out and try to make your day :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1259
If anyone's doing Unit 4 on 12th June, here is the thread :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308998

Latest

Trending

Trending