The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HenryD
I was just saying how you could have two perfectly valid different curves depending on what you think the terminal speed in the oil and the speed it reaches in the air are.

I thought this also. I don't think it'd reach its terminal velocity over such a short distance, so a straight line, up to a slight curve, before a horizontal line, should be equally fine :smile:
Original post by navyspaces
Me too; my university place is effectively resting on this retake, as if I don't ace it I have to make up for it in Units Four and Five, which would be a lot more effort... Very pleased to have just realised that I didn't get all the TIR stuff wrong. In a burst of post exam madness, my friend convinced me that TIR worked the opposite way round... :smile:

I'm in the same position as you. Resat unit 1 in January, and just did this paper. Not looking forward to Unit 4 being on the same day as my C4! D: The hardest and third hardest modules I'm doing -.-
Reply 1962
I thought this also. I don't think it'd reach its terminal velocity over such a short distance, so a straight line, up to a slight curve, before a horizontal line, should be equally fine :smile:

Agreed, on here there seems to be a reasonable amount of people who did both so I doubt they'll penalise.
Original post by HenryD
I'm still considering whether to go pure physics or physics and philosophy. I want to go into physics but I do love philosophy so I'm really not sure.
And yeah that's true, with physics you need more of a background in the general concepts so that you can at least understand the question. Plus half of it will be maths and I stupidly didn't pick FM so I'll need to do some of that too.

No that's right, less work is done because there's less force per amount of extension :smile: Or as you put it there so you'll get the mark.
Definitely 1, possibly 2 I'm still not sure whether I'm right about the intensity :smile:

There's no way you could realistically guess 6082 (which was the answer). If they can see that and can see something to do with pythagoras you'll get the marks so I think you'll be fine.

You can clearly see the 6000 and 1000 and the squared about the 6000 and the first bit of the square root and the answer but the second half of the square root (over the 1000 squared) is a bit dodgy and so is the 2 for the squared like I had to go over it 3 times to prove its a two? So would this get the two marks?
Original post by YThursday
I'm in the same position as you. Resat unit 1 in January, and just did this paper. Not looking forward to Unit 4 being on the same day as my C4! D: The hardest and third hardest modules I'm doing -.-

I dislike Unit Four in general... Mainly because I just don't like multiple choice. Of the exams I'm doing, it's the one I'm expecting to do least well in. :smile:
Anyone remember question 6e?
Original post by HenryD
I'm still considering whether to go pure physics or physics and philosophy. I want to go into physics but I do love philosophy so I'm really not sure.
And yeah that's true, with physics you need more of a background in the general concepts so that you can at least understand the question. Plus half of it will be maths and I stupidly didn't pick FM so I'll need to do some of that too.

Not having Further Maths sounds a bit worrying, though I don't know what resulting effect that'll have on you. I guess you'll need to do extra well in the PAT to make up for it? If you're interested in Physics and Philosophy, just go for it, as if you're rejected from it, you're automatically considered for Physics :smile:
Original post by Big-Daddy
Anyone remember question 6e?

Was that the earthquakes wave question? "What can we tell about a wave that can be polarised?"
Reply 1968
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
You can clearly see the 6000 and 1000 and the squared about the 6000 and the first bit of the square root and the answer but the second half of the square root (over the 1000 squared) is a bit dodgy and so is the 2 for the squared like I had to go over it 3 times to prove its a two? So would this get the two marks?

I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you both marks because even if it's really scruffy you can see what you were trying to do even if parts aren't completely legible or fully extended or whatever and you can see an answer that you could've only gotten from doing that. 2 marks.

Not having Further Maths sounds a bit worrying, though I don't know what resulting effect that'll have on you. I guess you'll need to do extra well in the PAT to make up for it? If you're interested in Physics and Philosophy, just go for it, as if you're rejected from it, you're automatically considered for Physics :smile:

I'm going to pick it up next year just to AS level. Yeah that's part of my reasoning for starting early, if I can nail it and I think I can then they'll probably overlook the fact I'll only be taking FM during that year. I'd enjoy but it's just a question of whether or not I could get a career or do (eventually) a doctorate with it. It's not accredited anymore which would make it harder so I don't know, decision I'll have to make I guess. The fact you can apply for it and still be considered for straight physics is good though, I was happy when I saw that in their prospectus.
(edited 10 years ago)
If you've clearly attempted Pythag, and got an answer like 6083, you'll be absolutely fine. :smile:
Was that the earthquakes wave question? "What can we tell about a wave that can be polarised?"

It was the question in which the unofficial mark scheme gives 750m as the answer.
Reply 1971
Any ideas on the grade boundary for an A? Most people in my school came out the exam feeling it caught them out.
Original post by HenryD
I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you both marks because even if it's really scruffy you can see what you were trying to do even if parts aren't completely legible or fully extended or whatever and you can see an answer that you could've only gotten from doing that. 2 marks.

I'm going to pick it up next year just to AS level. Yeah that's part of my reasoning for starting early, if I can nail it and I think I can then they'll probably overlook the fact I'll only be taking FM during that year. I'd enjoy but it's just a question of whether or not I could get a career or do (eventually) a doctorate with it. It's not accredited anymore which would make it harder so I don't know, decision I'll have to make I guess. The fact you can apply for it and still be considered for straight physics is good though, I was happy when I saw that in their prospectus.

So you'd say two marks then
Reply 1973
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
So you'd say two marks then

Yes.

Scientists can deduce that polarised waves are transverse waves. EG, radio waves.
Original post by Abbseh
Any ideas on the grade boundary for an A? Most people in my school came out the exam feeling it caught them out.

Yep! around 44-46/70 for an A. :smile:
Original post by StalkeR47
Scientists can deduce that polarised waves are transverse waves. EG, radio waves.

Wasn't it given in the question that the waves were transverse?

And what was the question 6e, to which the answer was 750m?
Original post by StalkeR47
Yep! around 44-46/70 for an A. :smile:

Do you think it will be that low?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Big-Daddy
Wasn't it given in the question that the waves were transverse?

And what was the question 6e, to which the answer was 750m?

750m was the answer to the question before that one. So, as long as you say something about what scientist can deduce is correct. They only told you a polarised wave is detected. They did not tell you that polarised wave that was detected by the scientist was transverse. :smile:
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Do you think it will be that low?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am quiet certain yes! They paper had some tricky questions and many people did not do really well. An easier paper than this was a previous papers and it was around 48-50 for an A. so, this one should be lower to 44-46 for an A. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending