The Student Room Group

Dyslexic Assessment

Hey,

I have a dyslexic assessment tomorrow and quite frankly i'm nervous as hell. I wanted to ask what they ask you or some idea of questions they are likely to ask me, its a 3 and a half hour assessment and i have no idea what sort of things they will ask me.

Please help:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I had mine done, I was tested on the following:
-logic (picture and words)
-reading
-spelling
-memory

Also sure there was something about "general knowledge" type questions too.
Reply 2
Don't worry you don't need to be Einstein. You have to turn some blocks to make pretty pictures. That's about how difficult it's going to get. Just relax and all will be well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Lol Einstein was dyslexic!!! For real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by froggpondde

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any proof? Any explanation why he scored so high in languages in school in a time where help for dyslexics at school was as realitistic as flying to the moon? You don't even have to accept that diagnosing dead people is very debatable, but simply look at his biography provides enough evidence that the claim Einstein would have been dyslexic is really unrealistic!

e.g. http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/einstein.htm
(edited 10 years ago)
3 1/2 hours?! Lol what, mine only took 25-30 mins. Can't even remember what I had to do tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a myth.
Original post by THEMathlete
3 1/2 hours?! Lol what, mine only took 25-30 mins. Can't even remember what I had to do tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was that not just a screening? A full dyslexia diagnostic assessment takes 3-4 hours.
Reply 8
Original post by Nathanielle
Any proof? Any explanation why he scored so high in languages in school in a time where help for dyslexics at school was as realitistic as flying to the moon? You don't even have to accept that diagnosing dead people is very debatable, but simply look at his biography provides enough evidence that the claim Einstein would have been dyslexic is really unrealistic!

e.g. http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/einstein.htm

Jog on!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Dragonfly07
That's a myth.

Yep everything is a myth just like dyslexia right?! Come on people....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep everything is a myth just like dyslexia right?! Come on people....

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but it would be good to make assumptions based on real facts and not because it would be nice, that Einstein would have been dyslexic. And yes, undermining an argument with a false argument won't convince people. Thus if you wish to diminish scepticism, you should provide proofs and not argue with myths. (It is the same urban legend as Einstein U in Math. The truth is, he got straight As.)
No, but it would be good to make assumptions based on real facts and not because it would be nice, that Einstein would have been dyslexic. And yes, undermining an argument with a false argument won't convince people. Thus if you wish to diminish scepticism, you should provide proofs and not argue with myths. (It is the same urban legend as Einstein U in Math. The truth is, he got straight As.)

Here are some facts for you chief.

http://athome.readinghorizons.com/community/blog/50-interesting-facts-about-dyslexia/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dyslexia/Pages/Introduction.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)

Have you even read what I wrote? It was about the myth that Einstein was dyslexic, NOT dyslexia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes. Einstein should be in the first link. Apparently he was dyslexic, due to writing methods and pencil grip. I'm personally not saying that he was, as I'm not in a position to say that, however, a lot of people think he was, my Psychologist was one of them. Who knows?
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Apparently he was dyslexic, due to writing methods and pencil grip.

Pencil grip? o_O makes sense now I didn't know that was a symptom...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Einstein should be in the first link. Apparently he was dyslexic, due to writing methods and pencil grip. I'm personally not saying that he was, as I'm not in a position to say that, however, a lot of people think he was, my Psychologist was one of them. Who knows?

1. I think it is very doubtful to say, a dead person is dyslexic, no one could have assessed that. Of course you can not say, he would be not, either. Nevertheless you could then claim that Heisenberg, Gauss, Hilbert, etc. were dyslexic, too. => Who knows? But just not being able to exclude a diagnose -especially after no kind of assesment at all - doesn't make it true.

2. He had excellent grades throughout his school career, read very difficult books at a very early age, etc. ... His English wasn't flawless, right, but this can be also explained by being German and German being his mothertongue. Pencil grip... ???

3. You can also read Einstein was suffering from dyscalculia. Another claim I can't really understand and makes me even more doubtful over the claims that Einstein was dyslexic. Especially as both are mainly detected because people show deficits at a level of their educational career, Einstein showed none of them, despite concerning fields (really advanced math, foreign languages, he had never properly learned, ...) everybody struggles somewhy. What can be certain, that he has never been in need of special accomodations at school or university to reach his full potential and play on the same level. :wink:

I don't think you can't discuss or ask if Einstein had not some traits, that would count today as disability, but claiming just like that, that he was dyslexic... No, ... (Although I am allways open to articles prooving new insights and/or papers. Just not the shear enumerations of people counting as dyslexic including Einstein.)

Anyway your answer is worth to be discussed and accepted, Froggponde's not.
(edited 10 years ago)
1. I think it is very doubtful to say, a dead person is dyslexic, no one could have assessed that. Of course you can not say, he would be not, either. Nevertheless you could then claim that Heisenberg, Gauss, Hilbert, etc. were dyslexic, too. => Who knows? But just not being able to exclude a diagnose -especially after no kind of assesment at all - doesn't make it true.

2. He had excellent grades throughout his school career, read very difficult books at a very early age, etc. ... His English wasn't flawless, right, but this can be also explained by being German and German being his mothertongue. Pencil grip... ???

3. You can also read Einstein was suffering from dyscalculia. Another claim I can't really understand and makes me even more doubtful over the claims that Einstein was dyslexic. Especially as both are mainly detected because people show deficits at a level of their educational career, Einstein showed none of them, despite concerning fields (really advanced math, foreign languages, he had never properly learned, ...) everybody struggles somewhy. What can be certain, that he has never been in need of special accomodations at school or university to reach his full potential and play on the same level. :wink:

I don't think you can't discuss or ask if Einstein had not some traits, that would count today as disability, but claiming just like that, that he was dyslexic... No, ... (Although I am allways open to articles prooving new insights and/or papers. Just not the shear enumerations of people counting as dyslexic including Einstein.)

Anyway your answer is worth to be discussed and accepted, Froggponde's not.

That is a good point that he could well have suffered for dyscalculia. Like you have rightly said, we will never know for certain as he is not here anymore, which is a pity.

Supposedly he did struggle to start reading when he was younger, but that could be a number of reasons and he did apparently have a awkward pencil grip. A lot of dyslexics hold pens and pencils in a peculiar way. I hold a pen quite strangely, I always have done, god knows why :s-smilie:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Pencil grip? o_O makes sense now I didn't know that was a symptom...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Pencil grip is one of many things a Psychologist looks for when they diagnose dyslexia.
Yes. Pencil grip is one of many things a Psychologist looks for when they diagnose dyslexia.

I have a mild case of dyslexia and I used to have a problem with holding my pen. My ks2 teacher pointed that out to my parents in my school report :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a mild case of dyslexia and I used to have a problem with holding my pen. My ks2 teacher pointed that out to my parents in my school report :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you managed to change you're grip? I have tried to do it, but with no success, as I just get writing fatigue more quickly. Also, I only write in capital letters, because if I write the other way, in lower case, it just looks like chicken scratchings and no one can read it.

Quick Reply

Latest