The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ontnorth
Do we need to know about the ocean conveyor belt??!!! please help!

For Weather and Climate??? I don't think you need to know it in a lot of detail, but remember that the North Atlantic Current works because cool ocean water sinks and is taken down to Mexico sort of are- then its warmed- the warm water rises and is carried back up towards Europe and then it cools and the process goes again. It shifts depending on the area with most heat and its what keeps the UK warm.
Reply 2021
I appologise if this has been written anywhere else on the thread but if a 10 mark question came up on earthquake management, what exactly would you write about? Would it be stuff like having earthquake proof buildings and planning techniques like education, scientists monitoring etc. or about the responses to an earthquake, like that 1980 earthquake in San Franciso that alerted scientists to the fact that many buildings were built on unstable ground materials like clay? In other words would it be management prior to the earthquake to try and minimise impacts or management techniques after the earthquake to try and deal with the disaster?
Hope that makes sense! :biggrin:
Reply 2022
Original post by acedlol
****, the first time I did this exam, I COULDN'T revise the last few days before the exam, I just lost the will to live with exams, and to some extent I can sympathize with you.

BUT YOU GOTTA KEEP GOING

I got 86/120 last time around, and that meant I had to take this ****ty gap year, and It's really ****ing bad when you get that sub-par grade on your results sheet. It totally knocks you out. Trust me.

You've got months of summer fun coming up. MONTHS. YOU NEED TO REALISE THAT TODAY, AND THE NEXT DAY IS NOTHING IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

I was YOU, I am HERE, I had to do this stupid exam again because I did what YOU are ABOUT to do. Trust me, the difference between a A* and a C can be as much as 1 hour of learning a specific topic. That 1 hour will totally change everything.

Knowing what I was like, I was totally not motivated, and you probably won't be after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_7j6t9IyU

Watch that. I had C4 maths in January, but I didn't prepare for it. It was 4 days away, and I was terrible at it. I did 4, 20 hour days, and it paid off. It's POSSIBLE

YOU CAN DO IT, JUST KEEP GOING.

DON'T THINK. JUST DO IT.

thanks bro, i'll try
I have all of my notes on my case studies for Ecosystems, World cities and Plate tectonics but I cant remember them!.
Does anybody have any tips or tricks or something to help with this?
We can pretty much eliminate tropical revolving storms from weather short answer question right? seem as there were 2 questions on it in Jan.. i'm playing the risky game now :P
Reply 2025
Original post by lizzyy
I appologise if this has been written anywhere else on the thread but if a 10 mark question came up on earthquake management, what exactly would you write about? Would it be stuff like having earthquake proof buildings and planning techniques like education, scientists monitoring etc. or about the responses to an earthquake, like that 1980 earthquake in San Franciso that alerted scientists to the fact that many buildings were built on unstable ground materials like clay? In other words would it be management prior to the earthquake to try and minimise impacts or management techniques after the earthquake to try and deal with the disaster?
Hope that makes sense! :biggrin:

It would be all of the above, mark scheme usually splits it up into planning, prediction and responses. To reach the higher levels of the mark scheme just include case study specific facts in your answer and you'll be jolly.
Original post by Axion
my progress today has been completely dire. barely learnt anything. pressure is on, and to be honest I feel like i'm bound to flop. still learning the theory and havent even started in the case studies :frown:

This is an exam you can easily 'blag' if you have that particular skill. I did it with GEOG1 and I've done about 10 times more revision for this exam.
Reply 2027
Anyone?

"Also, in the exam, would you suggest doing the 40 mark essay first, then doing the other sections? Or the other way around?"

And now I have another question :tongue: Should I bother learning all 4 sections (plate tectonics, ecosystems, world cities and development and globalisation)? Or just the three easiest? (thinking of leaving out development as I don't really remember much from that...)

Opinions please :smile:
Reply 2028
Original post by Aliceo
Anyone?

"Also, in the exam, would you suggest doing the 40 mark essay first, then doing the other sections? Or the other way around?"

And now I have another question :tongue: Should I bother learning all 4 sections (plate tectonics, ecosystems, world cities and development and globalisation)? Or just the three easiest? (thinking of leaving out development as I don't really remember much from that...)

Id just learn the three, your case study will either be on plate tectonics or ecosystems in that case. Can focus on learning the content precisely from the three sections you know fairly well then, learning stuff this close to the exam will be a stretch.
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh God... thought I was prepared ... just sunk in how close this exam is now and the fact I only have one more day with the support of my trusty textbook and revision guide.. argh!!
Original post by Aliceo
Anyone?

We were taught 4 topics. I have revised 3 of them as much as i can and then weather and climate i have revised the bits that are most likely to come up along with the important case studies :smile: you could just do the same?
Okay someone help me. National conflict- is israel one of the them?!
"Evaluate the relative roles of natural succession and human activities in the creation of ecosystems within the British Isles." Would this just be the ecosystem succession I've studied (e.g. psammosere) and plagioclimaxes or is it expecting me to talk about urban ecosystems, ecosystems along routeways, colonisation of wasteland and the tropical biome too? :s-smilie:
Reply 2033
Taking a break tonight and going to be

ing it tomorrow

:smile:, motivation may return in the morning
Reply 2034
Okay, am I just being stupid here?
In terms of the World Cities unit and questions that ask you to 'Discuss the Characteristics, Causes and Effects of Sub/Re/Counter/Urbanisation', what is the difference between 'characteristics' and 'effects'?

With respect to suburbanisation; Edge Cities are both a characteristic AND an effect of suburbanisation! :confused:
And this is just one of many examples...
Reply 2035
Original post by Comp144
Okay, am I just being stupid here?
In terms of the World Cities unit and questions that ask you to 'Discuss the Characteristics, Causes and Effects of Sub/Re/Counter/Urbanisation', what is the difference between 'characteristics' and 'effects'?

With respect to suburbanisation; Edge Cities are both a characteristic AND an effect of suburbanisation! :confused:
And this is just one of many examples...

Characteristics are basically push/pull factors why people move out an area and why they choose to move into another area e.g city to rural area. Effects are what happens as a result of the movement e.g increased traffic and pollution in rural areas due to counter urbanisation. Use case studies to show what the effects are to get better marks, they want you to state the effects on the area the people are moving into e.g effects on rural areas when discussing counter urbanisation.
Reply 2036
Hi Guys,

I really need to get hold of the Jan 2013 paper for unit 3 how do I do this?

Also how is the 40 marker question MARKED and to what CRITERIA i need help on this.

Also I need to know what topics are likely to come up on plate tectonics, World cities and development
Reply 2037
Original post by Dhaden
It would be all of the above, mark scheme usually splits it up into planning, prediction and responses. To reach the higher levels of the mark scheme just include case study specific facts in your answer and you'll be jolly.

Okay, thank you so much!
HI GUYS!
( sorry, just making sure I caught your attention! I have made a spreadsheet of past topics for World Cities, similar to the one before!
NB - please don't just take my word for it, I have no clue what might come up or not, please learn everything anyway, this is just to show up areas that have/haven't come up!
Oh and see post 2020, I really could do with some feedback on my practice question!

:biggrin:
(I hope the edexcel file works, cause the pdf version is really annoying to read!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2039
no offense to people predicting but in all honesty, its literally impossible to predict cause we will never know what the examiners are going to ask until we open that booklet :O

the way i see it, just revise everything :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending